Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0326

(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

I go to the footy to watch the footy. I don't really think me being there has an impact on the result.

I read a few articles yesterday Garry & most suggested that for team sports which require strength, stamina etc support can have an effect especially during times of fatigue etc.  But it also suggested some athletes will respond to support whilst others block it out to focus. Depends on the individual I suspect. But as I posted last time if fans think they cannot do better that’s fine & if they think it doesn’t matter it’s also fine. I just think I can do better & I’m trying. One goal I have is to start the Tigers chant, no big deal I guess but I’ve never done it. I join in always but have never tried to start it. It mightn’t make me a better supporter but in my mind it’ll make me feel good. I’d particularly like to start it when we’re losing as I think that’s when it’s needed most. I doubt I will do it, and if I did I doubt many would join in, but it’s in my head to try. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Give me a water bottle and then I'll make a difference 

:p

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Mike and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

I go to the footy to watch the footy. I don't really think me being there has an impact on the result.

An individual doesnt but collectively we do I think. Obviously a team will play with more energy in front of 30K than 3K. Garry you and I ahve been at the same games at LO where the crowd has been into it and then early in the game the crowd energy drops and you can see it in the team as well.....chicken and egg maybe?

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @russtutty63

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Bit of a stretch to blame fans. 

We're still turning up after more than a decade of ineptitude.

Not blaming fans for results but I think we can do better to help. There are times when I walk away from games knowing I could’ve done more, I’ve given up quickly, been negative even before a ball is kicked but how does that help? Does it help? 

It doesn’t really make a difference for the team. Fans can do what they want. Once the players are on the field it’s up to them. If they play well the rest will come. It’s not a yoga retreat where good vibes give bonus points. 

I think the support at games does matter but we could debate that forever & get nowhere. But isn’t it a good thing to try to be better anyway? Isn’t it more beneficial to be less negative, not to give in? 

I try but same games the team just give you no reason to be. I’ve gotten behind the boys during all kinds of situations and always will. However, people need to be free to support the team however they would like 

I agree wholeheartedly with that but we do have a role to play during a game, whether or not that role helps much is debatable, it may help individuals, it may help at different times, it may make opposition uncomfortable or fire them up etc etc. All I know is I can be better as I know I am not the most mentally tough person you’re ever likely to meet, far from it. And I’m not the kind of person who asks others to do something I wouldn’t ask of myself. If others choose to believe they’re doing all they can in their role as a supporter that’s fine. But if others think they can be better then why not try? 

And this is not about Joel, I should make that clear. He’s on the podcast & he said something I could resonate with. It could’ve been me saying what he said & it was for that reason I posted about mental weakness in the club. If you’ve been unsuccessful for so long that’s understandable. We need everyone at every level to fight against it if we’re going to change. 

I think, just to clarify, that my point about it being “game over” was more in regards to our inability as a team to score points and overcome adversity. 

As fans, I think most of us probably thought “game over” as well when that try was scored (based on past performances).

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: