Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast Episode 0311 Gary Barnier Interview

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @snake

Well that pod in a way is very depressing … 2 of the directors that were in charge and moved on were in charge of the worst period this club has endured..one is the new chair and one is the deputy of the owners of the club . If any supporter thinks there is anything positive about this think again , it’s all about to go down the toilet the good days have been short lived ! I am so angry now that I have taken out membership again . If the recommendations are not enacted by this new board the NRL needs to move in and take the licence away from the club …. this could well be the death knell of this club !

It's a big concern. Richardson won't suffer fools and won't hang around to have a fight with these people.

worse case scenario for the club is Richo annoys certain parts of the fan base with comments like he talks to members etc and then walks away due to the muppets at WA 

we will be in a hell of a jam if that happens

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

It sounded to me that Gary didn’t really know what to think. That could be bad, could be fine, he didn’t know. Gary talks about “reserve powers” of the owner and perhaps things like NSW cup naming rights is a reserve power. It sounds dumb to me but if WA cares so much about being called magpies then let them have it and let’s move on. As long as O’Farrell and Richo are left to run the Wests Tigers I could care less what colour socks the team has.

for unity sake it has to be wests tigers in all grades...sound like the "Blazer Brigade" might be getting cold feet 

ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

I listened to the podcast and it was facinating. 

But the decision by Holman Barnes to let Gary conduct the review after he was the one who raised the initial concerns is extraordinary. 

No, its not a conflict of interest but it raises real doubt over the findings given that the person conducting the review came to it with an existing pre-disposition. I am sure Gary considered he was approaching it with an open mind but appearances matter.

As a lawyer, if this had been a review that was capable of judicial review, it would have been quashed immediately. 

Very disappointing. 

It hard to believe anyone involved in this understand proper governance.

ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

I should add that I was consistently a Pascoe critic the whole time he was here. Never liked the guy. His Hawaii rubbish showed he was more interested in macro stuff than the micro stuff a CEO should do. His joke on Naden reinforced my view he should never have been CEO. 

But, that doesnt mean you run an unprofessional review conducted by the person who raised the initial concerns. 

As with Pascoe, I am very concerned about Richo’s start. He is a grandstander of the worst kind. Stop talking on podcasts about how good you are Richo and just start managing. At the end of the day …

Mercy Rule reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@southerntiger sorry I missed that. Where did he say that he was the one who brought the initial complaint to Holman Barnes?

ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@tigertownsfs In the podcast episode

ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

If it wasnt clear, my impression of Richo is he is a grifter. I hope he proves me wrong. 

UPDATE: To clarify this is based solely on my impression of Richo from interviews he has given since becoming CEO where he presente himself in a Messianic fashion. I have no knowledge to suggest that Richo has engaged in an wrongful or immoral conduct and if I had my choice again, I would select a different word. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @southerntiger

If it wasnt clear, my impression of Richo is he is a grifter. I hope he proves me wrong

I don’t remember that quote saying he raised concerns and then was appointed to investigate. Either way it’s pretty weird to call him a grifter, he has been CEO of 3 or 4 NRL clubs, he was employed by the NRL to do a report on how to modernise the game and fix pathways etc. Chairman Lee, now that is a grifter.

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

If it wasnt clear, my impression of Richo is he is a grifter. I hope he proves me wrong

What of his body of work makes you think that? Genuinely curious. 

ReplyQuote
(@gary-barnier)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@southerntiger I feel I need to respond to your comments around unprofessionalism.  I raised observations and recommended that a review be done.  That is an incredibly common way that consulting firms such as McKinsey, Bain and Boston Consulting Group are engaged in doing similar governance reviews.  Any such reviews are done entirely appropriately and are often scrutinised by senate committees and the like with no issue ever being raised as to how the review was commenced   

You may well not have experience with 360 degree reviews but I can assure you that the way the engagement occurred is very normal.  I would encourage you to highlight where else you feel I have been unprofessional.  I would even be happy to sit down with you and understand your point of view if I can.  So far it just feels like you lack experience in these matters.

With regard to calling Richo a grifter, I would encourage you to fall back on your legal training and consider the implications of calling people names.

Finally, it does feel like form matters more to you than substance.  I would be interested to hear from you whether you disagree with any of the actions taken to date as part of the review and why.  Again I would be happy to sit down face to face and constructively understand your point of view.

Best regards, Gary

MickeyB, Barra, Dirty Reds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@gary-barnier Gary, I have done plenty of 360 Reviews. 

Again, I do not question you consider yourself to have approached it objectively. And to the extent that I suggested you personally were unprofessional, that was unfair and wrong. I have nothing to base that on other than I think the review should not have been conducted by someone that appeared to have predetermined view. Appeared being the operative word.

But, it is an extremely bad look when the person calling for the independent review is the person who then conducts the said review. 

Absolutely I care about the form. Form matters for a review to be credible. As fans we do not have the benefit of seeing what you and Tony saw but we are being asked to accept it  

Nothing against you mate. Appreciate the reply. 

Im happy there has been change, but that doesnt mean I cant criticise the process used to deliver that change. 

ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@dirty-reds No body of work other than what he has been saying since he became CEO. My comment was clearly over the top hyperbole. 

I dont like people who try to present themselves as Messiahs and that is my impression of Richo since he started. His constant criticism of the old admin, which I  never liked, has been really bad form. Make the changes you need to make, no need to keep criticising the old admin publicly. 

Just my view. 

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@tigertownsfs Not Richo. I was referring to Gary B being the person who recommended a review. Yes, I didnt have a high opinion of Lee either. 

The whole Sheens/Benji/Fulton fiasco was a reason the board needed to be restarted. No question. 

Im just not all in on Richo yet like some are. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

@dirty-reds No body of work other than what he has been saying since he became CEO. My comment was clearly over the top hyperbole. 

I dont like people who try to present themselves as Messiahs and that is my impression of Richo since he started. His constant criticism of the old admin, which I  never liked, has been really bad form. Make the changes you need to make, no need to keep criticising the old admin publicly. 

Just my view. 

in my experience it is quite common for the incoming admin to heap criticism on the last admin. You “kitchen sink” all the problems and have a clean slate to start again. The worst thing you can do is not call out when you see issues in the early days of your role because very quickly those problems become yours. Yes Richo is a bit punchy but I think (hope) that’s coming from the position of a guy who has nothing to prove, has created multiple successful NRL organisations and is implementing shock therapy on an organisation that has stagnated for the last 10 years. The proof will be in the pudding of Ofcourse but I don’t really have a problem with his style and I’m glad we have a CEO who is confident that he knows exactly how to fix us.

Barra reacted
ReplyQuote
(@southerntiger)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@tigertownsfs Its just poor form in my view. I loathed Pascoe and Lee for a long time but, given they are now gone, I dont see any reason to continue slating them. 

Although Pascoe talking about his prank on Naden recently got my blood rising again by the fact this guy was in charge of our club for so long

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: