Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast Episode 0273

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

It’s Time For Change

Welcome to another episode of the Wests Tigers Podcast, this one is a little different. Garry Watson is joined by Steve Stretton as they open the pod to Wests Tigers Fans to voice their opinions on the current direction and the future of this club.

Special Guests, Jordan, Matt, Aiden, Tim, Shane and Ben chat to the boys about the current petition, that has been setup by the Wests Tigers Podcast team, to push for the Wests Tigers organisation being subjected to a thorough external review, encompassing all aspects of the organisation.

Wests Tigers Podcast 0273 | Wests Tigers Podcast

https://omny.fm/shows/wests-tigers-podcast/wests-tigers-podcast-0273

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Good pod again, hopefully the club listens to this and can hear what they have done to the supporter base. My over arching realisation after listening to it is that i don’t want to be associated with Lee and Justin anymore. 

Mike, TigerSteve and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@peter-a)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Thanks Garry and Steve a powerful pod cast

Well done to Jordan, Matt, Aiden, Tim, Shane and Ben you all spoke so well. The passion loyalty and respect you have for the club came through. 
It is TIME FOR A CHANGE but I fear it will fall on deaf ears so we must be loud and get as many signatures as possible a keep up the pressure.

We all deserve better!

ReplyQuote
(@the-frog)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

As a general comment (not specifically this podcast site) and having listened to ALL that has been said on the various sites open to the fans (some of it factual, some hysterical and some of it plain untruths),I would say this.

There are clearly two key areas of concern.Management and Team Performance.

Management: The three key targets are Lee H and Justin P and the Wests Tigers Board.

Lee H:

Lee H Pros:

• Lee has poured a LOT of money into the club via sponsorship and should be thanked for it.Viable sponsors are very, very difficult to get. 

Lee H Cons:

• A sponsor should never be appointed to the Board let alone as Chairman.Big Mistake!!!
  • Too accessible to the Media and has "put his foot in it", several times, albeit not recently, but perception is hard to shake.
  • We are now faced with either keeping the Chairman and his Sponsorship, keeping the Chairman no Sponsorship or keep the Sponsorship and no Lee as Chairman.The Status Quo is not the answer.

Justin P:

Justin P Pros:

• Whether people like it or not, Justin has run the Financial side of things very very well. We use to be a basket case financially.
  • Justin landed the COE. Thats a Big deal.

Justin Cons:

• Poor media presentation. Enough said.
  • Poor fan perception. Enough said.

The WT Board:

WT Board Pros:

• Genuinely I cant think of any.

WT Board Cons:

• In my opinion there are five Board Members out of the eight that do not inspire confidence. I ask the question, do they have the capability to oversee the performance of the Wests Tigers. They clearly (in my opinion) do not and have not.

So in respect of Management issues, I believe Wests Leagues Club, sorry, Holman Barnes Group need to step in and appoint a New WT Board. Four Directors that have Business acumen,one that has People and Culture experience and three with Football Brains, but not three who want to be an Invisible Coach and none that are appointed because they have been a member for 75 years.

Fix the Board and the Team will follow, because a good Board will make considered changes, strong recommendations and provide clear oversight.

Because of the comments above I will not address Team Performance because its irrelevant until the WT Board changes.For those collecting the petition, it should be delivered to the Chairman of Barnes Holman Group. An appointment should be arranged and three suitable Wests Leagues Club Members should professionally present the Fans/ Members Case. If its ignored then we we all know where we sit. It might be interesting to know how many of us are Wests Members, because if we have 300 or so members you can effect the outcome of the next Board Election and THAT will get their attention particularly when we pose no threat to Holman Barnes Group with our only interest in the WT Board.

For what its worth...........

Le Frog. 

CanberraTiger, Skippa13, Peter A and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

The telling thing for me is that you have long term members/supporters of this club talking like that. All with similar but different stories. People who have stood by the club for a long time have had enough. That is sad. 

I’ve heard Sheens say “members are the true supporters because they stick with the club, fans come and go” well I think we’re a chance to find out what happens when those members starting walking away as well. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @the-frog

As a general comment (not specifically this podcast site) and having listened to ALL that has been said on the various sites open to the fans (some of it factual, some hysterical and some of it plain untruths),I would say this.

There are clearly two key areas of concern.Management and Team Performance.

Management: The three key targets are Lee H and Justin P and the Wests Tigers Board.

Lee H:

Lee H Pros:

• Lee has poured a LOT of money into the club via sponsorship and should be thanked for it.Viable sponsors are very, very difficult to get. 

Lee H Cons:

• A sponsor should never be appointed to the Board let alone as Chairman.Big Mistake!!!
  • Too accessible to the Media and has "put his foot in it", several times, albeit not recently, but perception is hard to shake.
  • We are now faced with either keeping the Chairman and his Sponsorship, keeping the Chairman no Sponsorship or keep the Sponsorship and no Lee as Chairman.The Status Quo is not the answer.

Justin P:

Justin P Pros:

• Whether people like it or not, Justin has run the Financial side of things very very well. We use to be a basket case financially.
  • Justin landed the COE. Thats a Big deal.

Justin Cons:

• Poor media presentation. Enough said.
  • Poor fan perception. Enough said.

The WT Board:

WT Board Pros:

• Genuinely I cant think of any.

WT Board Cons:

• In my opinion there are five Board Members out of the eight that do not inspire confidence. I ask the question, do they have the capability to oversee the performance of the Wests Tigers. They clearly (in my opinion) do not and have not.

So in respect of Management issues, I believe Wests Leagues Club, sorry, Holman Barnes Group need to step in and appoint a New WT Board. Four Directors that have Business acumen,one that has People and Culture experience and three with Football Brains, but not three who want to be an Invisible Coach and none that are appointed because they have been a member for 75 years.

Fix the Board and the Team will follow, because a good Board will make considered changes, strong recommendations and provide clear oversight.

Because of the comments above I will not address Team Performance because its irrelevant until the WT Board changes.For those collecting the petition, it should be delivered to the Chairman of Barnes Holman Group. An appointment should be arranged and three suitable Wests Leagues Club Members should professionally present the Fans/ Members Case. If its ignored then we we all know where we sit. It might be interesting to know how many of us are Wests Members, because if we have 300 or so members you can effect the outcome of the next Board Election and THAT will get their attention particularly when we pose no threat to Holman Barnes Group with our only interest in the WT Board.

For what its worth...........

Le Frog. 

Very well thought out response mate.

In regards to Holman Barnes elections, you can not really have much impact at board level of the Holman Barnes Group. Only 2 of the 7 directors are elected through a general member election. The other 5 positions are appointed by the debenture group.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Good pod guys let's hope we get some change. 

I have been a member since the beginning of wests tigers (balmain season ticket member before that since 1988) and have never even been I to a members dinner etc, the club says they only have records from 2007 or something. 

End of the day whether I renew next year won't be based on members dinners etc but on whether we can sign some players. 

I want the club to leave the coaching to the coaches and the boardroom can stay out of it because as far a see it two players in joffa and Brooks were moved on when the coaching staff both wanted them.

This is not how nrl teams are run by boardroom decisions on who should be in the roster, it should be up to the Football Department they hire they fire players and move them on as at the end of the day the coaching staff live and die by decisions they make by way of recruitment. 

Will we get change probably not, will I continue to be a member, well I may keep LO that is it purely just to hold tickets I have had for 23 years (if you take Balmain into consideration I have had the same seats since 1988 so 35 years)

GroveTiger and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tgrzmn)
Junior Pathways

This is my first ever post on a forum. I have been a Tigers fan all my life and am now 67. I have been a listener of the pod for some time now and really look forward to each episode. I am so tragic that I tip the Tigers every week in tipping comps so of course I don't ever win.

Just wanted to share a story about a car I once owned which one day showed an engine warning sign on the dash. I took it to the mechanic who used computer analysis which indicated a part was malfunctioning and needed replacement which he did. A short time later the same thing happened with the warning indicator and another fault was identified and parts changed. This was repeated several more times and several thousands of dollars later it was determined that the car's onboard computer was the problem. 

Perhaps this is the same story with the Tigers admin? Making needless changes when all along they are the problem but are unable to see that. Bring on an independent review.

LoganR21, GroveTiger, Peter A and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

@tgrzmn welcome and nice cryptic first post!!

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tgrzmn

This is my first ever post on a forum. I have been a Tigers fan all my life and am now 67. I have been a listener of the pod for some time now and really look forward to each episode. I am so tragic that I tip the Tigers every week in tipping comps so of course I don't ever win.

Just wanted to share a story about a car I once owned which one day showed an engine warning sign on the dash. I took it to the mechanic who used computer analysis which indicated a part was malfunctioning and needed replacement which he did. A short time later the same thing happened with the warning indicator and another fault was identified and parts changed. This was repeated several more times and several thousands of dollars later it was determined that the car's onboard computer was the problem. 

Perhaps this is the same story with the Tigers admin? Making needless changes when all along they are the problem but are unable to see that. Bring on an independent review.

Welcome to the forum mate, I hope this isn't your last post on the forum.

I think it is clear that now we have changed out and replaced all the other parts that the computer from your analogy is definitely the problem.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

@jedi-tiger I agree signing players will be the key to keeping members however I think the little things are important too and this club in my view has shown that it takes members for granted.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

@jedi-tiger I agree signing players will be the key to keeping members however I think the little things are important too and this club in my view has shown that it takes members for granted.

100% agree the club does take members for granted I agree. 

Parramatta as an example get 11 or 12 home games 

As a tigers member you get about 9 home games with one going to NZ and one to magic round and one to Tamworth. 

Not good enough we are battling at the moment give the fans the opportunity to attend all home games for a start. 

Secondly our membership prices compared to say Parramatta or Dogs are poorly priced and with three games less to attend in Sydney are not value 

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

The membership service is honestly garbage. I have been a long term member and never get invited to these events. I emailed them about one of them a few years back, and someone there was very nice and apologetic and I ended up doing one of the member's tunnel things before a game. 

Since then nothing - though I have received my very special 10 year membership coin and Chris Lawrence badge in recent years.... 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dirty-reds

The membership service is honestly garbage. I have been a long term member and never get invited to these events. I emailed them about one of them a few years back, and someone there was very nice and apologetic and I ended up doing one of the member's tunnel things before a game. 

Since then nothing - though I have received my very special 10 year membership coin and Chris Lawrence badge in recent years.... 

I have been a member since 2000, which they don't recognise and only ever received an invite to one of these events.

LoganR21 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kades79)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Great pod Garry & Steve, thanks to the passionate supporters that put into words what I think we are all thinking and saying!! I listened to the pod this morning and as a long term fan (58yrs) and current member, I was wondering if we as fans/supporters just need to let the 5 year plan roll along for a little while longer. I am a patient man, I follow the Tigers, you have to be.. BUT...I was then amazed to read an article that stated that the Club was looking at Justin Holbrook, as it appears that Sheens and Benji aren't working??  Another coach??  The Board, Chairman & CEO (They) need to have a look at themselves. They put Sheens in as the Mr Fixit, knowing that he is a coach that does it his way and does not like outside interference. They engaged him, now They aren't happy that they don't have a Yes Man.. They engaged a new Recruitment Man not telling the Coach..They effectively got rid of the coaches right hand man.. They have released players who were the soul of the changeroom, it's beyond beleif.

They don't explain their decisions to the membership, They need to come clean and explain to US what their plan is, in real speak, not a polished press release or Lawyer speak.. They Have To Go.. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: