Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0252

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Plenty to discuss on the latest Wests Tigers Podcast, including responding to listener feedback via the Wests Tigers Podcast Forum, and Wests Tigers Forum. The future of Charlie Staines and what should be the top 3 priorities for the club admin right now?  https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0252/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

LoganR21
(@loganr21)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Laurie Daley was to be a halves coach probably back 5-6 years ago, but had to forgo as he was working for TAB. Thought it was a good call by McGuire I think it was, just to be knocked back by the nrl.

Keep steering the right path

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

We don't just need a halves coach - if we are a development club - we need a halves academy

We have both Noddy and Benji on our books - surely they can together lead a halves academy across all grades of the club?

If I was admin, I'd be pumping resources into developing halves as it's much cheaper than buying an established one

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

The biggest issue (among a few) with the Coaching selection process for me, is that we are asking Tim Sheens to both be Football Director AND 1st Grade Coach at the same time.

When we need 120% focus on both roles, as we are probably the hardest sporting project in Australian sport.

Football director needs to build pathways from scratch - which is critical for long term success of club.

1st coach - needs to win games but also coach Benji as future coach - which again is crucial for long term success of club.

From evidence Tim can't do both at 50% capacity, let alone 120%

And for that decision alone - I would replace admin 

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Eddie

1. Review

2. Replace admin

3. Get halves

If you do 1 and 2 right- all other outcomes will follow 

3. Is needed to maintain fans sanity and build momentum for whole club

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Good discussion on the pod. What I think is good about the pain we are going through is that we have managed to really shake out who to keep and who to move on and some of the glaring holes in the roster and we have been able to do that pretty quickly. Brooks is the obvious one but also AD to a large extent and also Laurie have been shown to have serious deficiencies in their game and that has allowed the coaches to move in other directions. That makes me much more confident that when we work out our solution to the halves dilemma we will sustainably move up the ladder.  Newcastle for example may have a little more short term success but I don’t see them durably making the leap into top 8 that we have watched the sharks make for example. Once that core squad is settled we will be able to focus on creating the pipeline of talent in every position and hopefully never return to this period of failure. I actually think it’s going ahead of schedule despite the terrible results st the moment.

This post was modified 1 year ago by TigerTownSFS

Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @frullens

We don't just need a halves coach - if we are a development club - we need a halves academy

We have both Noddy and Benji on our books - surely they can together lead a halves academy across all grades of the club?

If I was admin, I'd be pumping resources into developing halves as it's much cheaper than buying an established one

I like the idea of a halves academy, whatever that may look like. 

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

@tigertownsfs 

Problem is as @garry said on the pod, while it's just the halves we need, its the hardest and most expensive position to fill.

No decent halves at the top of their game are coming to bottom team like WT

And if we go for an up and comer - the pressure may break them like Brooks 

That's why Id be going hard for a SL half - they have experience leading a team in high pressure games in front of crowds - while also would be open to $$$ and NRL contract

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

As some have said noddy should be the halves coach he is already on the books anyway and was a solid 7 in the cronk style

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Good discussion on the pod. What I think is good about the pain we are going through is that we have managed to really shake out who to keep and who to move on and some of the glaring holes in the roster and we have been able to do that pretty quickly. Brooks is the obvious one but also AD to a large extent and also Laurie have been shown to have serious deficiencies in their game and that has allowed the coaches to move in other directions. That makes me much more confident that when we work out our solution to the halves dilemma we will sustainably move up the ladder.  Newcastle for example may have a little more short term success but I don’t see them durably making the leap into top 8 that we have watched the sharks make for example. Once that core squad is settled we will be able to focus on creating the pipeline of talent in every position and hopefully never return to this period of failure. I actually think it’s going ahead of schedule despite the terrible results st the moment.

Good point SFS.

Whilst Im very nervous that Sheens is a big part of our problems at the moment, I am as equally confident that he is the right guy to be repsonsible for shaking out those that have to go. Since Sheens grabbed the reins it is the first time since Cleary that Ive seen the actual issues addressed. We have always winged about something when Maguire was there but nothing changed. Now in anticipation of the flood of "well Brooks is still there!!!" posts, Brooks has not been offered a new Contract and obviously Sheens is working to address halves. It is clear that it is something they are working on.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Posted by: @tiger5150

Good point SFS.

Whilst Im very nervous that Sheens is a big part of our problems at the moment, I am as equally confident that he is the right guy to be repsonsible for shaking out those that have to go. Since Sheens grabbed the reins it is the first time since Cleary that Ive seen the actual issues addressed. We have always winged about something when Maguire was there but nothing changed. Now in anticipation of the flood of "well Brooks is still there!!!" posts, Brooks has not been offered a new Contract and obviously Sheens is working to address halves. It is clear that it is something they are working on.

Except madge was happy to let Brooks go to Newcastle and keep Hastings ' but Sheens blocked it

But other than that decision - in happy to leave it in the hands of Sheens - however I do really worry he had to much on his plate being coach and supposedly Football GM.

I would of preferred Sheens stayed as GM as that role is critical in setting or roster abs pathways up for the next 5-10 years

This post was modified 1 year ago by Frullens

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@davey-farrell)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

great show the other night boys, really enjoyed something different 

ReplyQuote
Share: