Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0224

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Something a little different this time. This is the first in a series of podcasts that we will produce over the off-season that look at us individually as Tigers fans, how we came to support the club etc. First up, Garry talks to me about my journey into being a Tiger. https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0224/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Skippa13
(@skippa13)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Great idea and listen!!

I am a similar age so went through a similar fan arc, except replace dragons/kograh with knights/hunter valley. I also had similar feelings about the merger…I was dreading the parra and manly merger talk, while I had a lot of family that were magpies fans that made the match as good as it could be in the circumstances. Also agree about the low expectations in the 2005 finals series…I spent my savings (as a uni student living in Lismore) to attend the first week of finals as i did not think we were going to go much further against teams like the broncos, dragons or eels. Even after the drags epic, I thought we were screwed until the cows upset on Sunday. I also liked how you said you picked the tigers after watching a game they came back to win. I jumped on Balmain in 87 after they came back to win a game on tv. Kevin hardwicks lions mane also entranced me as a young fella, so I asked for a jersey for Xmas and didn’t look back. 90s we’re tough in the school yard though…

im interested in hearing Garry’s story, as being from the country I find the experience might be slightly different. Often the pod talks about different suburbs or areas in Sydney which I’m completely oblivious to, or attending games on a regular basis which I never have been able to. I think it’s often overlooked just how many fans there are in the country for teams like tigers, dragons and Souths due to old family allegiances.

anyways, great job guys, keep it coming!!

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @skippa13

Great idea and listen!!

I am a similar age so went through a similar fan arc, except replace dragons/kograh with knights/hunter valley. I also had similar feelings about the merger…I was dreading the parra and manly merger talk, while I had a lot of family that were magpies fans that made the match as good as it could be in the circumstances. Also agree about the low expectations in the 2005 finals series…I spent my savings (as a uni student living in Lismore) to attend the first week of finals as i did not think we were going to go much further against teams like the broncos, dragons or eels. Even after the drags epic, I thought we were screwed until the cows upset on Sunday. I also liked how you said you picked the tigers after watching a game they came back to win. I jumped on Balmain in 87 after they came back to win a game on tv. Kevin hardwicks lions mane also entranced me as a young fella, so I asked for a jersey for Xmas and didn’t look back. 90s we’re tough in the school yard though…

im interested in hearing Garry’s story, as being from the country I find the experience might be slightly different. Often the pod talks about different suburbs or areas in Sydney which I’m completely oblivious to, or attending games on a regular basis which I never have been able to. I think it’s often overlooked just how many fans there are in the country for teams like tigers, dragons and Souths due to old family allegiances.

anyways, great job guys, keep it coming!!

Yeah I grew up in the Hunter, so my path to the Wests Tigers is different to most.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Good pod and good listen interesting Joel you were from Dragons territory...

I was from the Hills so Parramatta territory, school mates were mainly Parramatta fans as they were flying mid 80's 

Was a member of Balmain Tigers since 1988 and the Ellery Hanley days (still have the same seats at L.O.)

Remember the meeting for the merger at Balmain so many members turned up remember Laurie Nichols speaking and crying and remember John Chalk getting up to speak. He advised Magpies had voted for the merger and it was announced before balmain members had voted. A sensible move the merger was otherwise we may have gone the way of the bears. 

For me I was 20 when Wests Tigers were formed so Balmain represents childhood of 88 and 89 (still can't watch that gf) although the Tooheys "I wouldn't have done that" advertisement campaign was clever 

Favourite game I have ever been to was the Dragons semi final on 2005 atmosphere was massive, the GF was great but that 2005 semi was something else seeing all those Dragons fans at the end of the game. 

Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

“World domination” Joel eh. Music to an old fascists’ heart, if I had one (insert sadistic laughter here.). Tigers!!! Hah, hah, hah, hah………

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Good pod and good listen interesting Joel you were from Dragons territory...

I was from the Hills so Parramatta territory, school mates were mainly Parramatta fans as they were flying mid 80's 

Was a member of Balmain Tigers since 1988 and the Ellery Hanley days (still have the same seats at L.O.)

Remember the meeting for the merger at Balmain so many members turned up remember Laurie Nichols speaking and crying and remember John Chalk getting up to speak. He advised Magpies had voted for the merger and it was announced before balmain members had voted. A sensible move the merger was otherwise we may have gone the way of the bears. 

For me I was 20 when Wests Tigers were formed so Balmain represents childhood of 88 and 89 (still can't watch that gf) although the Tooheys "I wouldn't have done that" advertisement campaign was clever 

Favourite game I have ever been to was the Dragons semi final on 2005 atmosphere was massive, the GF was great but that 2005 semi was something else seeing all those Dragons fans at the end of the game. 

Very similar background to me jedi. I was born in Balmain but grew up in the hills. Everything else is basically identical, i was also at that meeting.

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: