Tommy Talau in 2023

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Tommy Talau in 2023

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Where does he fit into the puzzle? Naden and Kepaoa having re-signed, look like they might be first choice centres. Benji is a big fan of his. Tommy appears to be the forgotten man when talking 2023.

What do you guys think?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Personally Im worried about him. Never really had the pace required for the centres and his long lay off will not help this. Can only see him moving into the back row but also not excited about this prospect. Dare I suggest he becomes the new Michael Chee Kam?

ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

He becomes the new Garner. Needs to learn to tackle.

ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I think Tommy can play, not sure of his position though. Something about him reminds me of Chris Mortimer but he needs to improve his defence big time.

Frullens and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

I would let him walk once his contract is up after this season. Another junior I was excited about when we signed him from the Bulldogs. However, he’s never shown me enough. Doesn’t have the pace or hands for the backs and isn’t big enough for the forwards. Reminds me of the bloke we let go to the cowboys a few years ago (whose name escapes me) but Tommy isn’t as good imo. 

Another hyped up WT junior who never had it. I hope we are not over rating our current crop of juniors otherwise we are in big trouble. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@member850)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@wiz

Isn’t he a bulldogs junior !

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

I saw him a few months ago at a training session at Campbelltown. He was doing his rehab work on the side of the ground. I was surprised at just how big he is, must be 100kg or more. Think he could make the transition to the back row but he will obviously need time to adjust especially after such a bad injury & long time not playing.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @russtutty63

I saw him a few months ago at a training session at Campbelltown. He was doing his rehab work on the side of the ground. I was surprised at just how big he is, must be 100kg or more. Think he could make the transition to the back row but he will obviously need time to adjust especially after such a bad injury & long time not playing.

Ball playing lock?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

@member850 I did say we signed him from the Bulldogs. 

To be more clear, a young guy we got in our system with big wraps who hasn’t delivered. Talau, Cini, Madden (could still make it). There’s been plenty more over the years (Santi). Pole looking exceptional but I have my concerns about Tumeth and O’Kane. 

Member850 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

He and the club are basically playing it by ear and seeing how it goes, I'm guessing he moves to a train and trial contract.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @helmesy
Posted by: @russtutty63

Ball playing lock?

We have all read/heard how he grew up playing 6 but can anyone remember seeing anything that resembled a passing game from Talaus times in 1st grade?

I think TT played 6 because in lower ages that just wear you put the biggest/fastest/best player.

ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

I’m pretty sure he played 6 for Australian schoolboys. And Madden was the half in the same team.  

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

I hope we keep TT,

I think there's a footballer there. 

Lock,  2nd row, centres. 

May need to cover where needed

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@frullens I agree wholeheartedly,and I believe he’s well and truly demonstrated that in his limited footballing output thus far.He definitely can break a tackle and knows how to find the line.I realise it hasn’t all been upside but he’s only a 22 gamer thrown into the deep end in an underperforming outfit.The people who’ve prematurely written him off,I seriously fail to understand their expectations of a player so green,not to mention the horrendous injury.Remember it was Craig Bellamy who came knocking for his services,and Benji’s high praises.On those grounds alone I’d definitely be retaining his services.

I guess the question remains whether he remains a centre or moves into the back row.That also begs the question in relation to Tommy,of our choice to relinquish Luciano,Tuilagi,Garner,and Mikaele.While little has been mentioned of him of recent,I believe the powers that be know they have more than a good one in Tommy Talau.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

• @tiger-symmetry Agree wholeheartedly with your comments here. Unless you’re a very special young talent at this club you’re always going to have good & not so good days here. This is especially so if you have played only 35 games. For an outside back it is even more difficult given the changes in the spine. A lack of combinations provides little chance to improve quickly. 

Mike and Tiger Symmetry reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: