Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@888)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @russtutty63

If the Raiders & Dragons have made offers you have to wonder what kind of vision they could sell Stef that’s better than the Tigers. With a new coach in Benji, the emergence of young stars in Lachie & Samuela, and let’s be honest Lachie would be rookie of the year, Sam would be pushing him if not for playing games at Manly last year. The Tigers have 2 or 3 other very good prospects coming through plus having Luai & Turuva coming, maybe more there is genuine optimism that the club will be much better the next few seasons at least. Plus it’s actually being run well now. The Raiders have some good, young players coming through too but Rapana is at the end of his career, Papali’i the same, Whitehead is going & they’re 9 is questionable. The Dragons will have a 9 and a 7 at the back end of their careers and a 6 who has had issues in the past. Their pack is ok but De belin is at the end of his career too as well as one or two of their other middles. Could they really convince Stef they’re going places the next few years? I doubt it. In my mind I think there’ll be other clubs making offers who might look better chances of success to Stef but would he want to leave Sydney? Again, I doubt that. So maybe the Dogs or Roosters could make offers & then I’d think he’s a big chance of leaving.

Agree if he goes to St George or Canberra he is doing it to chase every last cent. Surely the Dragons cannot stand up next to us in terms of the spine he can play with. Hunt with only a year or 2 left surely and unknown replacement and their 6 is middling. With Luai and Galvin and of course Api we are streets ahead in that regard.

I think the big thing is if he can see us on a path of improvement (eg: similar to the Bulldogs trajectory) then that might get us over the line to keep him. Spending on final offers, I’m sure Richo might budge $50-100K a year if it means getting it done. Would be such an awesome win for us if we could even get him to accept a slightly lower offer than external to stay. That would be a massive line in the sand to say we are now a club to get players for “unders”. 

A lot still to play out.

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

What do people think of Aidan Sezer? I know the guys on the pod have mentioned how they’d like to see him stay another year or two for back up & to help the young guys through Cup etc but I doubt that will happen. Seems to me he still has something to offer especially for a team like the Dogs who outside of 4 or 5 players are still pretty inexperienced compared to most sides. Also think he’d believe he could make himself some decent coin the next 2 seasons, not huge money but something around that $400,000 a season mark. 

This post was modified 1 day ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

What do people think of Aidan Sezer? I know the guys on the pod have mentioned how they’d like to see him stay another year or two for back up & to help the young guys through Cup etc but I doubt that will happen. Seems to me he still has something to offer especially for a team like the Dogs who outside of 4 or 5 players are still pretty inexperienced compared to most sides. Also think he’d believe he could make himself some decent coin the next 2 seasons, not huge money but something around that $400,000 a season mark. 

I think his impact on our team the last couple of weeks has gone largely unnoticed. Has a very settling effect on our side and directs us around well. Decent kicking game as well. 
Not sure he'll be a priority signing but would be handy in the squad

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

This is not such a bad thing for the Tigers as Sezer would know he has perhaps only a couple of seasons left performing at a high level so motivation would not be in question. If you can find that kind of player, probably around that 30 years of age mark who has 4 or 5 seasons left in them you could do worse to give them a 2 year deal and hope they play well enough to give themselves another contract at the end of those 2 years. Should imagine at 30+ their market value might have decreased somewhat. Struggling clubs unable to attract top line players without paying overs might find this a good strategy, just have to find the right players.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

This is not such a bad thing for the Tigers as Sezer would know he has perhaps only a couple of seasons left performing at a high level so motivation would not be in question. If you can find that kind of player, probably around that 30 years of age mark who has 4 or 5 seasons left in them you could do worse to give them a 2 year deal and hope they play well enough to give themselves another contract at the end of those 2 years. Should imagine at 30+ their market value might have decreased somewhat. Struggling clubs unable to attract top line players without paying overs might find this a good strategy, just have to find the right players.

If Eels willing to release Junior Paulo then he, Kyle Feldt & Corey Oates probably the best 3 who fit into this category. All a risk but could also turn out to provide value.

This post was modified 1 day ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
Skippa13
(@skippa13)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigersteve

I think his impact on our team the last couple of weeks has gone largely unnoticed. Has a very settling effect on our side and directs us around well. Decent kicking game as well. 

Sezer makes so many small plays in defence, kick chase, etc which go unnoticed, his playing ability alone deserves another contract.

On top of that though is what he brings off the field. He just seems like an experienced, sensible footy head. Kind of like what Scott prince was, a real cleanskin, level headed bloke that brought stability to a team of pranksters and cocky youngsters like Fulton, benji, Gibbs, etc. I can’t picture sezer in the headlines for cocaine busts or domestic violence. Just having him in the top 30 helping luai set the standards would be invaluable in my opinion.

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @skippa13

Sezer makes so many small plays in defence, kick chase, etc which go unnoticed, his playing ability alone deserves another contract.

On top of that though is what he brings off the field. He just seems like an experienced, sensible footy head. Kind of like what Scott prince was, a real cleanskin, level headed bloke that brought stability to a team of pranksters and cocky youngsters like Fulton, benji, Gibbs, etc. I can’t picture sezer in the headlines for cocaine busts or domestic violence. Just having him in the top 30 helping luai set the standards would be invaluable in my opinion.

I’d love him to stay & take on that role. The guys on the pod have alluded to that last few weeks, but think Sezer would believe he can run a team elsewhere such as the Dogs. I think he started at the Dogs too. Guess depends on the offers that come his way. If he continues to play well no reason to think another club looking for an experienced 7 wouldn’t offer him a couple of years. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

I’d love him to stay & take on that role. The guys on the pod have alluded to that last few weeks, but think Sezer would believe he can run a team elsewhere such as the Dogs. I think he started at the Dogs too. Guess depends on the offers that come his way. If he continues to play well no reason to think another club looking for an experienced 7 wouldn’t offer him a couple of years. 

I just we had had him longer. Wish he was with us those years he was in Super League. He is exactly the sort of player we have needed for a long time. The player we hoped Brooks was going to be. Its cruelly ironic that we finally get a player like that a year before we get an actual superstar.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Maybe a better chance of it happening if one of the other halves is moved on. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @tiger5150

I just we had had him longer. Wish he was with us those years he was in Super League. He is exactly the sort of player we have needed for a long time. The player we hoped Brooks was going to be. Its cruelly ironic that we finally get a player like that a year before we get an actual superstar.

that would have been so great. In 2020 we could have run with 1. douhie 6. Brooks 7. Sezer 9. Grant. 14 Benji.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

after that performance by stef we can't be serious about.offering him 800k

#lethimwalk

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

#lethimwalk

For the kind of money he wants you are one of the best forwards on ground win, lose or draw each week.

That’s not Stefano.

This post was modified 6 hours ago by Joel Helmes

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Mike and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
LoganR21
(@loganr21)

Posted by: @tiger5150

We had a quality 7 playing with us in ‘22…. Yes he wasn’t a world beater, but he organised this team around so well with a good kicking game. Hindsight’s a clever thing but I think we’d be more successful without David Klemmer in our team. 

Watch out for the bergs

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

#lethimwalk

For the kind of money he wants you are one of the best forwards on ground win, lose or draw each week.

That’s not Stefano.

spot on, think we can spend that money elsewhere. Probably worth 650k at best.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Stef has shown multiple times this year that he cannot make an impact against a quality forward pack, you would expect that with him out there trying to draw the attention of a quality "winning" team he would be having a go, as Tallis said in reference to Stef, it doesn't matter what team you are in or who you are playing against, as a prop its all about the number of hit ups, metres and tackles you make, you could be at a team stuck in the bottom 8 yet still dominate and get selected for Origin and Australia and I'm pretty sure there are a number of examples of this. The bigger teams would be looking at these performances and there is no way they will pay him anywhere near $800k. the desperate teams like us, the dragons and raiders will pay that money, however I'm sure even they are having second thought after his insipid performance in attack across this season, bar a few games when we were already on top and he came out like a poor mans version of Payne Haas (a flat track bully). I see the dogs as the indicator in relation to Stef, they are desperate for a big dominating middle and whilst I hate Gus, he is a pretty good judge of players and their potential and if they don't make a play for Stef than that says a lot. At one stage I was thinking we should maybe go to $900k to secure him, yet now I'm thinking $800k is very generous. I get that he is young and forwards take longer to develop, however he should be showing more than he has been by now. If anything the difference between his best and worst is widening, and that's not because his best is getting better.

Mike and CanberraTiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 986 / 987
Share: