Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@jedi-tiger who are you playing on the right edge that’s an upgrade on Bateman?

Wong has played on the right for Roosters in a semi final, he can take the right

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Wong has played on the right for Roosters in a semi final, he can take the right

He's signed until the end of 2026 with the Roosters.

ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Absolutely anyone mate. Bateman is in the argument for worst ever signings. He is terrible. Zero impact in attack and is completely penalty riddled. One of the worst leaders I have ever seen in my life who puts the team under enormous unnecessary pressure. High work rate, I'll give him that.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

Absolutely anyone mate. Bateman is in the argument for worst ever signings. He is terrible. Zero impact in attack and is completely penalty riddled. One of the worst leaders I have ever seen in my life who puts the team under enormous unnecessary pressure. High work rate, I'll give him that.

Discipline wise, agree completely. He's been awful in that regard. But, he's a really good defender imo, and playing on the right edge with AD will improve his attacking game considerably. I think the length of his contract is a concern, but for now I reckon he's an overall positive to the team, not a negative. If fit i'd definitely have him in ahead of Porter on the weekend, I think he's our second best rower after Sam Fainu. Now, if we move him on and get someone better, I am all for it. But for now, I think we're weaker without him.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Discipline wise, agree completely. He's been awful in that regard. But, he's a really good defender imo, and playing on the right edge with AD will improve his attacking game considerably. I think the length of his contract is a concern, but for now I reckon he's an overall positive to the team, not a negative. If fit i'd definitely have him in ahead of Porter on the weekend, I think he's our second best rower after Sam Fainu. Now, if we move him on and get someone better, I am all for it. But for now, I think we're weaker without him.

Just on his defence, he has come up with some really heartless efforts this year where the opposition breeze past him. I agree generally he defends well, holds his space in the right well and makes plenty of tackles. However he has shown a lack commitment a few times.

I just don't think he offers anything, and even in our losses we look a better team without him.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Just on his defence, he has come up with some really heartless efforts this year where the opposition breeze past him. I agree generally he defends well, holds his space in the right well and makes plenty of tackles. However he has shown a lack commitment a few times.

I just don't think he offers anything, and even in our losses we look a better team without him.

I agree taht Bateman has had some bad misses in defence, but IMO it is not heartless or lack of commitment, its more likely IMO that he is gassed. There are sections of a game he looks like he is totally gassed and running on autopilot

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

The best case scenario is that in a reduced role with better players around him he doesn’t overplay his hand

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Dragons and Raiders offer Stef $900k per season for 5 years, per Chammas. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

St George Illawarra have signalled their interest in luring Stefano Utoikamanu to the club and are preparing to offer the Wests Tigers prop a five-year deal worth $4.5 million.

The Dragons opened discussions with Utoikamanu this week and want the opportunity to sell the club’s vision to the former NSW Origin representative, who this week was granted permission by the Tigers to explore options at rival clubs.

In-demand Tigers star barges over

1:27

BKFC 2024: Perry v Page

Stefano Utoikamanu showed no signs of being distracted, scoring a powerful try for the Tigers.

The Herald reported earlier this month that the Tigers have tabled Utoikamanu a five-year deal worth $4 million. That sum works out around $100,000 a season less than the Dragons have indicated they would be willing to spend on the player.

A Dragons official confirmed the club’s interest in Utoikamanu when contacted by the Herald on Friday.

The Canberra Raiders have also entered the race for his signature. The Raiders are preparing for life after Josh Papalii and have indicated they would be able to spend more than the Tigers have offered.

Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking on the condition of anonymity, told the Herald the Raiders – like the Dragons – would be willing to spend $900,000 per season to bring Utoikamanu to the nation’s capital.

Wests Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu is in great demand.

Wests Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu is in great demand.CREDIT:GETTY

The Melbourne Storm have also been keeping tabs on the situation and are preparing to make a play for the 24-year-old. The Bulldogs are exploring other options and aren’t willing to spend top dollar on a front-rower.

A unique clause in Utoikamanu’s contract will see him become a free agent if he didn’t play two State of Origin games this year or the Tigers missed the top eight. Utoikamanu was not selected for the first two Origin games, and the Tigers are only a slim chance of playing finals.

Advertisement

Utoikamanu decided against accepting the Tigers’ offer of an extension and met with chief executive Shane Richardson and coach Benji Marshall last week to inform them of his desire to explore the market at the end of the season.

The Tigers instead gave him permission to begin negotiations immediately, resulting in a conversation between the Dragons and his management.

Utoikamanu has told the club that he enjoys life under Marshall but also harbours a desire to play finals football. The club has been attempting to convince him he can do that in the near future at the Wests Tigers.

The Tigers’ offer, which averages out about $800,000 per year, is less than the $900,000 figure previous chief executive Justin Pascoe indicated the club would be willing to spend to retain the prop.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @garry

St George Illawarra have signalled their interest in luring Stefano Utoikamanu to the club and are preparing to offer the Wests Tigers prop a five-year deal worth $4.5 million.

The Dragons opened discussions with Utoikamanu this week and want the opportunity to sell the club’s vision to the former NSW Origin representative, who this week was granted permission by the Tigers to explore options at rival clubs.

1:27

BKFC 2024: Perry v Page

Stefano Utoikamanu showed no signs of being distracted, scoring a powerful try for the Tigers.

The Herald reported earlier this month that the Tigers have tabled Utoikamanu a five-year deal worth $4 million. That sum works out around $100,000 a season less than the Dragons have indicated they would be willing to spend on the player.

A Dragons official confirmed the club’s interest in Utoikamanu when contacted by the Herald on Friday.

The Canberra Raiders have also entered the race for his signature. The Raiders are preparing for life after Josh Papalii and have indicated they would be able to spend more than the Tigers have offered.

Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking on the condition of anonymity, told the Herald the Raiders – like the Dragons – would be willing to spend $900,000 per season to bring Utoikamanu to the nation’s capital.

Wests Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu is in great demand.

Wests Tigers prop Stefano Utoikamanu is in great demand.CREDIT:GETTY

The Melbourne Storm have also been keeping tabs on the situation and are preparing to make a play for the 24-year-old. The Bulldogs are exploring other options and aren’t willing to spend top dollar on a front-rower.

A unique clause in Utoikamanu’s contract will see him become a free agent if he didn’t play two State of Origin games this year or the Tigers missed the top eight. Utoikamanu was not selected for the first two Origin games, and the Tigers are only a slim chance of playing finals.

Utoikamanu decided against accepting the Tigers’ offer of an extension and met with chief executive Shane Richardson and coach Benji Marshall last week to inform them of his desire to explore the market at the end of the season.

The Tigers instead gave him permission to begin negotiations immediately, resulting in a conversation between the Dragons and his management.

Utoikamanu has told the club that he enjoys life under Marshall but also harbours a desire to play finals football. The club has been attempting to convince him he can do that in the near future at the Wests Tigers.

The Tigers’ offer, which averages out about $800,000 per year, is less than the $900,000 figure previous chief executive Justin Pascoe indicated the club would be willing to spend to retain the prop.

At least they didnt use photos of Sa Fainu.

Tigerlily reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

That sort of money is way overs. Stef’s form is not at that level. Good luck to him if these offers are genuine.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

I wouldn’t snooze on the Bulldogs.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

If the Raiders & Dragons have made offers you have to wonder what kind of vision they could sell Stef that’s better than the Tigers. With a new coach in Benji, the emergence of young stars in Lachie & Samuela, and let’s be honest Lachie would be rookie of the year, Sam would be pushing him if not for playing games at Manly last year. The Tigers have 2 or 3 other very good prospects coming through plus having Luai & Turuva coming, maybe more there is genuine optimism that the club will be much better the next few seasons at least. Plus it’s actually being run well now. The Raiders have some good, young players coming through too but Rapana is at the end of his career, Papali’i the same, Whitehead is going & they’re 9 is questionable. The Dragons will have a 9 and a 7 at the back end of their careers and a 6 who has had issues in the past. Their pack is ok but De belin is at the end of his career too as well as one or two of their other middles. Could they really convince Stef they’re going places the next few years? I doubt it. In my mind I think there’ll be other clubs making offers who might look better chances of success to Stef but would he want to leave Sydney? Again, I doubt that. So maybe the Dogs or Roosters could make offers & then I’d think he’s a big chance of leaving.

This post was modified 2 days ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

You put Stef annd sezer into that bulldogs team and they are a top 8/edge top 4 team. That said we are only a year or two behind them in our rebuild and have stronger juniors and better halves. I still expect if he moves it will be to storm, Penrith or roosters. Hopefully if that happens we can pick up whoever he displaces who might be a bit older than Stef but gives us a bridge to our younger players coming through. Stef is a great player and someone I want to keep but you don’t go to market unless you know what to expect. 

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @russtutty63

If the Raiders & Dragons have made offers you have to wonder what kind of vision they could sell Stef that’s better than the Tigers. With a new coach in Benji, the emergence of young stars in Lachie & Samuela, and let’s be honest Lachie would be rookie of the year, Sam would be pushing him if not for playing games at Manly last year. The Tigers have 2 or 3 other very good prospects coming through plus having Luai & Turuva coming, maybe more there is genuine optimism that the club will be much better the next few seasons at least. Plus it’s actually being run well now. The Raiders have some good, young players coming through too but Rapana is at the end of his career, Papali’i the same, Whitehead is going & they’re 9 is questionable. The Dragons will have a 9 and a 7 at the back end of their careers and a 6 who has had issues in the past. Their pack is ok but De belin is at the end of his career too as well as one or two of their other middles. Could they really convince Stef they’re going places the next few years? I doubt it. In my mind I think there’ll be other clubs making offers who might look better chances of success to Stef but would he want to leave Sydney? Again, I doubt that. So maybe the Dogs or Roosters could make offers & then I’d think he’s a big chance of leaving.

If he goes to one of those clubs his focus was always money, not winning games. To a young guy who will only earn good money for 10-15 years of his life, an extra $500k over the course of a contract is a lot of money. He can set himself up for life. I wouldn’t begrudge him for leaving for more, and would be disappointed if we offered more than we have. 

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 985 / 987
Share: