Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

This is way, way overs, but the thought of Twal starting in the front row gives me nightmares.

$800k is probably a little overs but still might not be enough to keep him.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @garry

This is way, way overs, but the thought of Twal starting in the front row gives me nightmares.

I can't imagine anyone paying him more than $800k a year. 

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

I can't imagine anyone paying him more than $800k a year. 

Snake reacted
ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I am fine with it at $800k. More so cos we can't afford to lose him and have the alternative starting front row.

If he turns this down it would be disastrous for the club. 

Tigerlily and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

It seems the right deal. yes its probably $100k over but that seems about what it will take. As CT says it would be a big problem if he turns it down.

ReplyQuote
(@mattvtiger)
Junior Pathways

Wests Tigers offer $4 million deal to young gun
ByMichael Chammas and Adam Pengilly
June 3, 2024 — 11.55am

The Wests Tigers have moved to keep Stefano Utoikamanu away from circling clubs, offering the prop forward a five-year, $4 million contract extension until the end of 2029.

The club hopes the long-term extension deal will prevent one of the NRL’s most in-demand players from hitting the open market.

Utoikamanu has a clause in his contract that means he will become a free agent unless he plays two games in this year’s State of Origin series. It can be negated if the Tigers finish in the top eight. The option for next year is worth between $600,000-$700,000.

With the Tigers near the bottom of the ladder after eight straight losses, and due to miss another finals series, Utoikamanu’s future will largely hinge on whether Blues coach Michael Maguire picks him in the NSW team for game two in three weeks.

The $4 million Tigers offer came days after he missed out on Maguire’s team for game one in Sydney on Wednesday.

This masthead has previously reported that there is an undertaking between Tigers chief Shane Richardson and Utoikamanu’s agent Daniel O’Loughlin to avoid waiting until the club is no longer a mathematical chance of playing finals football before deciding his future.

It’s not in the Tigers’ interests for Utoikamanu to decide late in the season that he wants to leave, which would restrict their replacement options and place uncertainty around their salary cap management.

Sources with knowledge of the situation, talking under the condition of anonymity in order to speak freely, said Utoikamanu’s agent was preparing to ask for permission to negotiate with rival clubs if the 24-year-old misses out on selection in Origin II.

The Tigers want to seal a deal before then, and have presented an offer to keep Utoikamanu at the club for the same length of time as incoming marquee man Jarome Luai.

Several rival clubs, who are monitoring the situation closely, are aware of the Tigers’ attempts to retain Utoikamanu.

Their offer, which averages out about $800,000 per year, is less than the $900,000 figure previous chief executive Justin Pascoe indicated the club would be willing to spend to retain the young front-rower.

His successor Richardson is trying to overhaul the Tigers roster and wants Utoikamanu to join Luai as the centrepieces of the club’s rebuild under Benji Marshall.

The Tigers have already allowed Isaiah Papali’i to be released from the final year of his deal to take up an offer at Penrith from next season. Richardson has also been busy trying to offload players like Jayden Sullivan and Brent Naden in England over the past fortnight.

The Tigers are also close to parting ways with hooker Jake Simpkin. The 22-year-old is on a deal worth about $400,000 this year but the Tigers are in discussions with the Manly Sea Eagles about an immediate exit.

The sticking point remains how many years Manly are willing to offer beyond the end of this season.

His manager, Isaac Moses, is in discussion with Manly about a move as early as this week. He could be included in the Sea Eagles team to play against the Panthers at BlueBet Stadium on Sunday.

Simpkin was brought to the Tigers from Queensland under the Maguire regime but has fallen out of favour.

The talented dummy half will provide cover for Lachlan Croker (head/neck injury) at the Sea Eagles. Croker hasn’t played since round nine against the Canberra Raiders.

Player agent speaking through the media to tell rival clubs their asking price, as I don’t believe this would have come from club (track record of current management).

I wouldn’t be surprised if we lose him. Nor would I be disappointed. I think he has under performed this season. Yes short term it is a headache, but the club needs to retain people that want to be at the club. 

I know this doesn’t say he doesn’t want to be here. But if his agent is asking for permission to negotiate after origin, it is clear they have something lined up. 

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Simpkin gone

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2024/06/03/sea-eagles-sign-hooker-jake-simpkin/

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Simpkin gone

https://www.seaeagles.com.au/news/2024/06/03/sea-eagles-sign-hooker-jake-simpkin/

Its a weird one. He only has a few months to go on his Contract and I thought we had a vacant spot in the 30 so freeing up the roster spot isnt necessary? Hoping the other boot drops shortly and it makes more sense and is in our favour.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@mattvtiger agree with you totally. He definitely has something else lined up.

I don't think Stef has shown he's worth any more than $600k on the market.

I also believe that Richo is twice the negotiator that Pascoe is. Therefore, if the agent looks for permission to negotiate then Richo will likely pull the WT offer.

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

Simpkin gone

Its a weird one. He only has a few months to go on his Contract and I thought we had a vacant spot in the 30 so freeing up the roster spot isnt necessary? Hoping the other boot drops shortly and it makes more sense and is in our favour.

Agree but not having to pay him for the final months of his contract for 2024 saves us $100k that we can use elsewhere.

I think Simpkin is a good player and has a future in the NRL but I don't think we can justify keeping a third string hooker on $400k.

The fact that he's joined Moses camp and is going to Manly made me laugh. Their whole 30 man squad is pretty much Moses clients bar DCE and Turbo brothers.

I hope Seibold is punted before Galvin is next off contract. Otherwise Manly will offer Galvin the roster spot / $$$ that DCE will vacate when he retires.

ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@mickb Can anyone say this guy is worth that money on his performances this season ,One foot out the door Imo thanks for the not to many highlights. Need players that want be here not one good hit up a game .

ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tiger5150 It will be a good day if he leaves the guy is soft as , done nothing . I have no problem with him leaving probable the easiest position to fill, would not be hard to replace for what he puts in every game probably for quarter the price . Over the club being held to ransom by want to be’s!

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

It seems the right deal. yes its probably $100k over but that seems about what it will take. As CT says it would be a big problem if he turns it down.

Is he a $700k player now? I'm not so sure he is. He might end up a superstar, but I am really concerned how poor he is against good packs. Look back at the games against Brisbane and Penrith when their pack went after him. He went to water.

I think this signing could come back to hurt us. Hope it doesn't, but i'm worried.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Is he a $700k player now? I'm not so sure he is. He might end up a superstar, but I am really concerned how poor he is against good packs. Look back at the games against Brisbane and Penrith when their pack went after him. He went to water.

I think this signing could come back to hurt us. Hope it doesn't, but i'm worried.

I think telling him to walk for $700-$800K would worry me more for the damage it would do to our rebuild.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

I think telling him to walk for $700-$800K would worry me more for the damage it would do to our rebuild.

And that's the thing too. Aside from Pole, Stef is really our only NRL calibre front rower. Harsh on Klemmer but he's on the elevator down, and Twal and Seyfarth aren't first graders. So you're probably right, without him we're a much weaker pack, and there's noone out there off contract that could replace him.

ReplyQuote
Page 951 / 982
Share: