Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Alexander: “Yeah but wasn’t that for salary cap reasons, you’re trying to make a story out of 9it) you can’t compare Greg Inglis, his situation, leaving Melbourne to go to Souths, to Jarome Luai.

“Jarome Luai has a contract with Penrith for 2024, he will not be playing for the Tigers, I don’t know what else I have to say,” Alexander added.

I found these quotes from Alexander very interesting.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

Alexander: “Yeah but wasn’t that for salary cap reasons, you’re trying to make a story out of 9it) you can’t compare Greg Inglis, his situation, leaving Melbourne to go to Souths, to Jarome Luai.

“Jarome Luai has a contract with Penrith for 2024, he will not be playing for the Tigers, I don’t know what else I have to say,” Alexander added.

I found these quotes from Alexander very interesting.

interesting quotes. Seems like a bit of agitation going on for an early release 

ReplyQuote
AnyGivenSunday
(@anygivensunday)
Junior Pathways

How I long for True Free Agency.  This 1 year in advance system is so tedious.

Players want security- then extend in contract to current club

Players/Clubs want to move in contract- then negotiate trades.

Players want maximum reward- complete contract, enter free agency, true open market value, current club has to compete with everyone else, but once new contract signed, jersey on, player reporting for duty. No more waiting one year watching them play against you BS, have the media speculate they want to back out of upcoming deal, remember all the ICE Parra fox sports he wants out anyone?. If Jerome signs it will be rinse and repeat for 12 months, terrible look for game.

While we are at it, lets explore some sort of protected draft system.

I wont buy the legality excuse, It can be done, even within Australia the AFL has much of above in place.

Let alone American Sports leagues and their free agency/draft rules, and there are almost as many Attorneys (American accent) as their are people in the U.S. of A.

Cant believe none of this was sorted out in the most recent bargaining agreement fight, talk about asleep at the wheel.

Vlandys clearly too busy organising his Vegas Junket to deal with the fundamental issues of the game.

hsvjones and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @anygivensunday

How I long for True Free Agency.  This 1 year in advance system is so tedious.

Players want security- then extend in contract to current club

Players/Clubs want to move in contract- then negotiate trades.

Players want maximum reward- complete contract, enter free agency, true open market value, current club has to compete with everyone else, but once new contract signed, jersey on, player reporting for duty. No more waiting one year watching them play against you BS, have the media speculate they want to back out of upcoming deal, remember all the ICE Parra fox sports he wants out anyone?. If Jerome signs it will be rinse and repeat for 12 months, terrible look for game.

While we are at it, lets explore some sort of protected draft system.

I wont buy the legality excuse, It can be done, even within Australia the AFL has much of above in place.

Let alone American Sports leagues and their free agency/draft rules, and there are almost as many Attorneys (American accent) as their are people in the U.S. of A.

Cant believe none of this was sorted out in the most recent bargaining agreement fight, talk about asleep at the wheel.

Vlandys clearly too busy organising his Vegas Junket to deal with the fundamental issues of the game.

I'm not really a fan of the draft but that is just me being a dinosaur.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/dc0ad18a-e095-423e-b2f4-ba3ba97a2a3b

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

I think based on the info today that is likely that our offer has been submitted to the NRL and we are in the 10 day period that the Panthers have to negotiate.

under the new rules would that mean he has accepted our offer pending any counter offer from Penrith? And only Penrith can counteroffer? 

Basically it would mean that he is willing to accept our offer, the offer is then submitted to the NRL who inform the Panthers that the Wests Tigers have made Luai an offer that he is willing to accept and then the Panthers have 10 days to negotiate with him and convince him to stay. 

At the end of the 10 days he makes his decision.

“Once the 10 day period ends, the player is free to sign with either club. Players have no obligation to accept an offer from their incumbent club even if it matches the offer from the new club.”

I don't know if we have reached that point, but the banter between lee and Brandy yesterday and then the way the media have started focusing on the release for 2024 instead of who he will sign with, plus Alexander's quotes about him not being released to the tigers for 2024 have me of the belief that we have reached that point.

It is all based of speculation though.

I think you might be right with all of this Garry. I also think it would be peak Tigers & Panthers for the Panthers to be exploiting this new rule to break out hearts.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

in the last 24 hours or so it’s gone from $4m to $4.4m to 4.5m 

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @tiger5150

I think based on the info today that is likely that our offer has been submitted to the NRL and we are in the 10 day period that the Panthers have to negotiate.

under the new rules would that mean he has accepted our offer pending any counter offer from Penrith? And only Penrith can counteroffer? 

Basically it would mean that he is willing to accept our offer, the offer is then submitted to the NRL who inform the Panthers that the Wests Tigers have made Luai an offer that he is willing to accept and then the Panthers have 10 days to negotiate with him and convince him to stay. 

“Once the 10 day period ends, the player is free to sign with either club. Players have no obligation to accept an offer from their incumbent club even if it matches the offer from the new club.”

I don't know if we have reached that point, but the banter between lee and Brandy yesterday and then the way the media have started focusing on the release for 2024 instead of who he will sign with, plus Alexander's quotes about him not being released to the tigers for 2024 have me of the belief that we have reached that point.

I think you might be right with all of this Garry. I also think it would be peak Tigers & Panthers for the Panthers to be exploiting this new rule to break out hearts.

the new rule does open up a new way to do negotiations. Send the player out to find an offer they will accept and all you have to do is find a suitable offer for them to stay. No more back and forth 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

the new rule does open up a new way to do negotiations. Send the player out to find an offer they will accept and all you have to do is find a suitable offer for them to stay. No more back and forth 

It allows the player to actually really put some pressure on their current club. Say you are willing to accept an offer elsewhere to pressure the current club to have to come up with a response within 10 days.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

It allows the player to actually really put some pressure on their current club. Say you are willing to accept an offer elsewhere to pressure the current club to have to come up with a response within 10 days.

it definite leverage for the player to get what they can out of the current club but also ensure the current club doesn’t get manipulated into more than they have to. Once managers and clubs work out this system all kinds of things can happen

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

I saw it report last week that the amount that the board has supposedly endorsed was $4.5 for 4 years. Good deal IMO.

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

I saw it report last week that the amount that the board has supposedly endorsed was $4.5 for 4 years. Good deal IMO.

I thought it was $4m. I’m happy to get a current origin player and multiple premiership winning half for 4.5

hsvjones, Garry and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@grovetiger)
Junior Pathways

This (potential)signing shapes the next 4-5 years for the Club. 

I'll wait til it's official though, been burned before by this type of chatter. 

Joel Helmes, TGRZMN, hsvjones and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
AnyGivenSunday
(@anygivensunday)
Junior Pathways

1st Overall 2020 Draft Pick Joe Burrow Says Hi.

Also Vikings > Bengals

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @anygivensunday

1st Overall 2020 Draft Pick Joe Burrow Says Hi.

Also Vikings > Bengals

Joe Burrow is a touchy subject this week mate lol. 

I love the draft in the NFL, but the way I engage in the NFL is different to how I engage in the Rugby League. I engage in Rugby League at a more whole sport level and I love watching the kids come through the grades and eventually debut for the club.

The other issue is American sports have the college system to draw players from, we don't have that, in fact all our development of players is done by the NRL clubs themselves. The game would have to be completely restructure in the lower tiers for a draft to have any opportunity to work.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 872 / 933
Share: