Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @helmesy

On the right money I don’t mind Olam for two years.

He has 3 years left on his deal though 

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

do we have any idea what sort of money he is on. 

I think 3 years is too long for a player already on the decline. Let Melbourne stick with it 

Kenny4517 reacted
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Wests Tigers coach Benji Marshall has flown to Melbourne for a meeting with Storm star Justin Olam in a sign that he is seriously weighing up a move for the Papua New Guinea international.
Sport Confidential revealed last month that the Storm and Tigers had discussed a swap deal involving Olam and Tigers forward Shawn Blore.

It is understood Marshall has now held face-to-face talks with Olam as the parties mull over a move that would add starch to the Tigers backline and give Olam a chance to re-establish himself as NRL star.

Daily Tele

If Melbourne are subsidising, I'm not as negative as if we pay full freight. 3yrs worries me though.

Seems to be a bit of a quick-fix panic move by Benji... and not much off heard of Scott Fulton recently.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @davey-farrell

word is he off to the UK

Hope so. 

ReplyQuote
(@lorenzo)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

We do need a center who can draw in a winger and throw a quick pass....Olam can draw in a winger, however his passing skills are not great. I don't know how many tries our part time center's butchered last year by not passing and with Olam its going to be more of the same. He can put on a hit in defense and take a hit up for some solid meters, however I don't think that is what we are in desperate need of. If we can get him for 2 years (not 3) and subsidized by the storm than it might be ok, we do lose Blore in the deal, however it sounds like he was not hanging around past next year anyway. My only concern is that Bellamy was short on outside backs towards the end of the season and still hesitated to bring Olam in...that says alot. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Fox Sports/Riccio saying Blore for Olam trade is imminent.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Tiger_Alex reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I feel like we never learn. Olam and Nofoaluma will make a great pair 

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

I know most on here aren't a fan of the 2023 Olam

But I'm keen - one of the best defensive centres the game has seen. Very professional. Incredibly smart (qualified engineer).

He broke his arm last year - but I think he can come back and still be destructive. He's literally a ball of granite.

If you listen to his story about growing up, would have to be one of the most resilient and hard working in the comp (literally walking over mountains, barefoot to go to school).

Not to mention hes the highest paid player in the comp through third party deals - thanks to the corporate support in PNG.

I love blore - but if he's keen to go and he's off contract next year - best to use him to fill a gap we have

Top 8 2023

hsvjones and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @frullens

But I'm keen - one of the best defensive centres the game has seen. Very professional. Incredibly smart (qualified engineer).

He broke his arm last year - but I think he can come back and still be destructive. He's literally a ball of granite.

If you listen to his story about growing up, would have to be one of the most resilient and hard working in the comp (literally walking over mountains, barefoot to go to school).

Not to mention hes the highest paid player in the comp through third party deals - thanks to the corporate support in PNG.

I love blore - but if he's keen to go and he's off contract next year - best to use him to fill a gap we have

Im much more concerned about 2026 Olam then I am 2023.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger_Alex reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Im slowly coming around to this as well. I definitely dont want to lose Blore, but if he is wanting to leave, and will leave in 12months anyway, it would be good to get value out of him to strengthen a position we are weak in. The half middle half edge forward we are pretty deep in.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Im much more concerned about 2026 Olam then I am 2023.

I’m even more concerned about 2024 David Nofoaluma. 

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

If Olam does sign for WT you'd assume he'd only be with us until the PNG side enters the comp. Likely to assume he'd be their captain or at least in their side?

The last quote I read from PVL was that the commission was all about making 'supercharged' decision making and that 2026 was a likely start date for the 18th team.

I personally think that the PNG concept is a terrible idea and that politics and sport should never become linked (but that is not the point).

Does anyone know who Olam's manager is?

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

If true it’s the dumbest trade ever. If this goes ahead we really are a dumb club and deserve a third wooden spoon. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Blore has had a few injuries, olam would be a good result and might allow a tupou and olam centre pairing which wouldn't be too bad. We probably still have Nofoaluma unless some miracle happens and we can offload him

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Blore has had a few injuries, olam would be a good result and might allow a tupou and olam centre pairing which wouldn't be too bad. We probably still have Nofoaluma unless some miracle happens and we can offload him

Olam was finished this year. In 3 years he’ll be Ron Massey cup standard. Horrible signing. 

Nofo will be the worst winger in the NRL in 2024, just as he was in 2023. No one will take him at any price.

ReplyQuote
Page 863 / 972
Share: