Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Crowsnest
(@crowsnest)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

I think they will go well Sullivan has a nice running game and hard to stop and fainu could be anything

I agree mate. Throw in there Bula and if Laurie was still there he would add to these guys.

They all have free flowing running games which is important these days with well structured defensive teams.

ReplyQuote
(@888)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @helmesy
-- attachment is not available --

If true is the theory he takes Sezer’s proposed place? Maybe offers the veteran half they want and could be a left side / right side thing. Doesn’t Sullivan play right side and Moylan and Fainu left? Gives Fainu a chance to work his way into first grade with Moylan holding the fort for 2 years and allows Sullivan to play 7 straight away (on the right side).

Not sure whether we wouldn’t be better off with a veteran game managing 7 though in Sezer (desperately need one) and give Sullivan the 1-2 years to grow into the 7 role and Fainu also the time to find his feet before stepping into the 6.

This post was modified 9 months ago by 888

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @crowsnest

I think they will go well Sullivan has a nice running game and hard to stop and fainu could be anything

I agree mate. Throw in there Bula and if Laurie was still there he would add to these guys.

They all have free flowing running games which is important these days with well structured defensive teams.

Disagree with this strongly and IMO it is a big part of our problem.

With the current defensive structures, the successful teams and teams with good attack throw a lot of defined "shape" at a defence and all the runners are running pre-determined lines and shape relative to each other and the ball player. Think Cronulla, brisbane....and the best at it, Penrith. For this to work, the attacking runners and "shape" MUST know and be confident of where the ball player is going to be and what he is going to do and the good teams are well drilled at this. We are not and I think it is in part due to the "running" nature of Brooks and Laurie. Every screams out for "eyes up footy" but what we need is structured attack where everyone knows and plays their part. I thought this would have been part of Sheens restructure but it worries me that it hasnt happened.

IMO we need less free flowing running from our halves and better structured attack. IMO this is why our back rowers have struggled forever and continue to struggle.

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

IMO we need less free flowing running from our halves and better structured attack. IMO this is why our back rowers have struggled forever and continue to struggle.

Couldn't agree more. Our red zone attack is a disorganised mess, historically bad in converting those opportunities. 

The halves have been awful, but the coaching staff needs to take the brunt of the blame imo. 

851 and Mercy Rule reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @crowsnest

Disagree with this strongly and IMO it is a big part of our problem.

With the current defensive structures, the successful teams and teams with good attack throw a lot of defined "shape" at a defence and all the runners are running pre-determined lines and shape relative to each other and the ball player. Think Cronulla, brisbane....and the best at it, Penrith. For this to work, the attacking runners and "shape" MUST know and be confident of where the ball player is going to be and what he is going to do and the good teams are well drilled at this. We are not and I think it is in part due to the "running" nature of Brooks and Laurie. Every screams out for "eyes up footy" but what we need is structured attack where everyone knows and plays their part. I thought this would have been part of Sheens restructure but it worries me that it hasnt happened.

I think you are both right but for different reasons. WT have been occasionally effective at scoring long range tries this year, usually by stripping the outside defence or the occasional break up the middle. The halves have been able to take advantage of the resultant retreating defence through a running game. 

But inside the 20 we are deplorable, there is no 'shape' just an ad hoc hope for the best approach. I agree no one seems to know their job in the 20m zone  and there are limited and usually poorly executed kicking options. That's why we don't build pressure and lose too many close games.    

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @mac_tiger

But inside the 20 we are deplorable, there is no 'shape' just an ad hoc hope for the best approach.

This is the strangest part of the season for me. From very early on we were dominating yardage and found us in the redzone very regularly yet we had no attacking structure that allowed us to strip numbers and break down set defensive lines from the goal line (compare this to south’s at the start of the year who seemed to able to score at will in the redzone). I can understand how we didn’t start the season well they’re given how inexperienced our coaches are perhaps but how can we still have the same issue at round 23? It’s bizarre 

851, Tiger5150, CanberraTiger and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Sheens about to be sacked according to SMH. This club is a deadset joke. 

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@tigersteve Does it say sacked in the article??

I can only see the headline and it says reduced role. I would assume that he will be the Head of Football again or whatever it is called.

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)

Posted by: @canberratiger

I can only see the headline and it says reduced role. I would assume that he will be the Head of Football again or whatever it is called.

No not head of footy. A token mentoring and ambassador role. A gutless way to sack someone 

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)

Posted by: @canberratiger

No it says they might look to make him some kind of club ambassador.

Wests Tigers call time on Tim Sheens after horror season

The Wests Tigers are set to drop a bombshell barely one season into the club’s five-year plan, calling time on Tim Sheens’ tenure as head coach.

The Tigers have responded to concerns raised by key stakeholders within the club and the sport by significantly reducing the role of the 2005 premiership-winning coach.

9news reporter Danny Weidler has revealed Tevita Pangai Jnr will quit NRL at the end of the season.

It is expected Sheens won’t coach next year, nor will he return to the general manager role which he assumed before taking on the job as Michael Maguire’s successor this year.

Sheens has given the club his blessing for Benji Marshall to take over as coach but had expectations that he would return to his administration role.

The club is expected to keep him around in an ambassador and mentoring role if he wants to continue.

Sheens was meant to be head coach for two years and help transition Marshall into a top-line coach in time for him to take complete control of the team in 2025.

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens.

Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens.CREDIT:GETTY

Sheens’ power at the club has been diluted significantly over the course of the year with one club insider telling this masthead that Sheens had very little input for the club’s last game against the Warriors in New Zealand.

This masthead has been told that Sheens hasn’t been seen at the club’s Concord headquarters for the past couple of days. Club powerbrokers have held a series of meetings over the past 48 hours to reach the decision.

This masthead has contacted Sheens and the Tigers for comment.

More to come.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

I have no issues with Sheens going, I think he's been poor, but whey does he get knifed when those that appointed him (and the previous coach), survive? It was their decision to appoint him. There is no accountability at the top of our club

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

I have no issues with Sheens going, I think he's been poor, but whey does he get knifed when those that appointed him (and the previous coach), survive? It was their decision to appoint him. There is no accountability at the top of our club

Unfortunately though, "accountability" isn't a true concept when the owners are making the decisions. They don't see it as having to justify what they do with their club, they just keep moving the pieces around. 

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
MOMO-AMP-MEDO
(@momo-amp-medo)
Junior Pathways

@tigersteve What The $&#@ do you expect!

Another year of what we got.

Dead set you’re kidding.

ReplyQuote
LoganR21
(@loganr21)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@jedi-tiger I think Brooks is the better player but Sezer is the better organiser. In saying that, I’m not a huge fan of the signing. Looking forward to Sullivan and Fainu in the halves.

mate Sullivan and Fainu will be a dogs breakfast!!

Watch out for the bergs

ReplyQuote
Page 807 / 942
Share: