Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Posted by: @westy81

Then next year when we’re struggling again I can hear the excuses already: we have new half combination and bula is only in his 2nd year and still working out the kinks 

it will be fine Sezer is the "Organising half" the club needs ...

looking forward to seeing excitement of Sullivan and fainu in the halves at some point on 2024

I think Brooks has been playing good Jedi but his organising and last tackle options are atrocious. The difference last night between him and Johnson was huge.

He’ll go well at Manly because he’ll be able to rely on DCE to do all that stuff but a 7 he is not.

Westy81, 851, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @westy81

Then next year when we’re struggling again I can hear the excuses already: we have new half combination and bula is only in his 2nd year and still working out the kinks 

it will be fine Sezer is the "Organising half" the club needs ...

looking forward to seeing excitement of Sullivan and fainu in the halves at some point on 2024

I think Brooks has been playing good Jedi but his organising and last tackle options are atrocious. The difference last night between him and Johnson was huge.

He’ll go well at Manly because he’ll be able to rely on DCE to do all that stuff but a 7 he is not.

I agree he will go well as a 6 at Manly it makes it easy with DCE and turbo in the spine

Not real happy that sezer is signed don't think he isnmuch of a 7 tbh,looks ok in ESL not sure about NRL level was good 5 years ago with Canberra though. 

Happy to see Sulivan in the team has speed and can play 7

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

I agree he will go well as a 6 at Manly it makes it easy with DCE and turbo in the spine

Not real happy that sezer is signed don't think he isnmuch of a 7 tbh,looks ok in ESL not sure about NRL level was good 5 years ago with Canberra though. 

I'm ok with Sezer for next year, will improve our structure and repeat sets in the redzone. I would have the second season option in our favour.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@jedi-tiger I think Sezer will struggle. Not a big fan of the signing. Hopefully we see Fainu/Sullivan in the halves after we’re out of contention in mid April.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

I'm ok with Sezer for next year, will improve our structure and repeat sets in the redzone. I would have the second season option in our favour.

repeat sets only have value if you can defend the short kick off

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

repeat sets only have value if you can defend the short kick off

Very good point.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@jedi-tiger I think Sezer will struggle. Not a big fan of the signing. Hopefully we see Fainu/Sullivan in the halves after we’re out of contention in mid April.

I tend to agree at least one more year of missing finals. 

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @jirskyr

It was said by a lot of people Laurie should have a crack at 6. The fact Sheens and Marshall just didn’t see it is worrying.

I was a huge supporter of the Sheens/Marshall coaching plan, but I was completely wrong.

They did see it, but Laurie got injured and then concussed - he was unavailable for a number of weeks. Don't forget Sheens had Laurie training at 5/8th during the pre-season, he made a song and dance about it. You have become such a neg.

Laurie would have played since Doueihi went down, if he had been regularly fit.

I have become negative. 2 wooden spoons in a row will do that to you. He was playing reserve grade for a period when he could have played 6. Go back and look it up.

How many wooden spoons will it take for you to pull your head out of the sand and realise the problem with the club is not cyclical, it’s structural. You’ve been defending the club every year for a decade, and you’ve been wrong every single year.

I get it, everyone handles the bad form differently. I'm not a fan of constant negativity and criticism, I don't think it's constructive and I don't think it gets us anywhere. For example folks who rail constantly against Pascoe and Lee H, and I get why they do it, but it doesn't achieve anything. 

Totally mistaken and incorrect to say I defend the club every year. I must have said it fifty times over the decade, but I consider myself a moderate - nothing is as good or as bad as some people will state. Everything is far more grey than black/white. 

Therefore I tend to debate unnecessary or unwarranted criticism or excessive negative comment. I also tend to debate unwarranted praise or excessive positives, like this new commentary going around on both forums where Daine Laurie is suddenly a key we should have turned earlier in the year. Seems pretty reactive to me, on the back of a good game here and there. Brandon Wakeham had some good games too and that's probably why Sheens persisted with him.

It's pretty lazy to summarise my posts as being head-in-sand and always defending the club. I criticise club stakeholders all the time, but I try not to repeat myself, as per above, I think it gets a bit broken record. It's not always polar, you can sometimes push back against negativity and not suddenly be "always defending the club".

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@jirskyr when Laurie was dropped it wasn’t because they didn’t see him as the 6. It was because he needed the time at 6 , and the club didn’t want to throw the baby out with the bath water , and wanted him to get the reps in Reggie’s . He was supposed to come up very soon , so was the story at the time . 
Except , he played like dogs balls in all his Reggie’s games , and Wakeham did an ok job . 
In fact at no point this year did Laurie show the form in reserves he has shown in the nrl . It’s only through necessity that he got his call up . 
It’s not the coaches fault he didn’t play nrl but his own . And I’d argue , due to his form drop , he had actually done himself out of a first grade nrl 6 jersey , either here or elsewhere . 
Because as good as he’s gone , unless he takes that Penrith team to KOE cup grand final , and kills it in his time replacing Cleary , he will forever be an nrl backup . 
That’s a real long way of saying I agree with you Jirskyr.

888, jirskyr, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)

I think you will find Laurie played a few weeks at 1 when was first dropped. I remember thinking that I hope he plays 6 in KOE and was annoyed he played fullback. Eventually they put him at 6 and he was a mixed bag. Set up tries, but also had errors. I put that on both him and Sheens. 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Funny how he is playing well now that he has signed with Penrith. Perhaps he is aware of the Luai/Penrith issue and wants the Penrith 6 jersey.

I was a big fan of Lauire but his attitude seemed to get worse and worse and with that his form.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

I get it, everyone handles the bad form differently. I'm not a fan of constant negativity and criticism, I don't think it's constructive and I don't think it gets us anywhere. For example folks who rail constantly against Pascoe and Lee H, and I get why they do it, but it doesn't achieve anything. 

Totally mistaken and incorrect to say I defend the club every year. I must have said it fifty times over the decade, but I consider myself a moderate - nothing is as good or as bad as some people will state. Everything is far more grey than black/white. 

Therefore I tend to debate unnecessary or unwarranted criticism or excessive negative comment. I also tend to debate unwarranted praise or excessive positives, like this new commentary going around on both forums where Daine Laurie is suddenly a key we should have turned earlier in the year. Seems pretty reactive to me, on the back of a good game here and there. Brandon Wakeham had some good games too and that's probably why Sheens persisted with him.

It's pretty lazy to summarise my posts as being head-in-sand and always defending the club. I criticise club stakeholders all the time, but I try not to repeat myself, as per above, I think it gets a bit broken record. It's not always polar, you can sometimes push back against negativity and not suddenly be "always defending the club".

Can you direct me to those posts where you criticise club stakeholders all the time? I've been on the forums for more than 10 years, and I can't remember seeing one. 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@avocadoontoast not to stick up for him avo , but I always tended to believe when arguing with Jirskyr about this , that his desire to sit on the fence killed my soul. 
Mainly because originally I agreed with him as recently as around 2020 , as I couldn’t foresee the last 3 seasons happening , as people like you had . 
I think he’s just on the life raft  in regards to clubs hierarchy . The boats sinking , but he’s happy to keep paddling the water out , where the rest of us have jumped off and are looking for dry land . 
He might be right , and we all jumped off too soon , but I don’t think so . 
Hence the conflict around this touchy subject .

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)

Can you direct me to those posts where you criticise club stakeholders all the time? I've been on the forums for more than 10 years, and I can't remember seeing one. 

Are we really going to do that, do something so boring as that? Bore everyone else too? Ask me to trawl back through my posts and quote, for your amusement, the times I criticised Tigers people?

That would be the same as me asking you to go back and quote the positive posts you've made, and me pretending that you've never made a positive post in your life, "because you are always being so negative".

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@jirskyr you can’t post any because they don’t exist.

ReplyQuote
Page 804 / 1067
Share: