Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Posted by: @garry

how does the salary cap work ?

Are they able to front load Brooks contract e.g. give him some if the unused cap for 2023 to contribute to paying less for 2024 ?

So if we have a spare 150k from joffa deal as an example can we give that to Brooks so his 2024 deal is say 650k (less 150k) so 500k for 2024 under the cap ?

Yes, we do this every year.

hopefully we can structure a deal like this for brooks and then use some of the long service discount and take a big chunk off the 2024 cap

The long service discount isnt some magic potion that fixes things. We have had it for a few years now with Noffa and Brooks and it just comes off the top of the cap. We have been factoring it for while now.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger5150

The long service discount isnt some magic potion that fixes things. We have had it for a few years now with Noffa and Brooks and it just comes off the top of the cap. We have been factoring it for wile now.

Yeah all it really does is add $200k to the cap of any team that has at least one player eligible. All clubs would have at least one player eligible, next season we have at least 4 that qualify.

There were reports that it was going to increase to $600k with the new CBA but I haven't seen that confirmed anywhere.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @helmesy

think hunt will end up at the Roosters so presume they will look at releasing walker. Not  a particular walker fan however him and Brooks might work ok together under Sheens 

I think it would be Sam Walker to Manly freeing up Fainu to come our way.

Walker to be a reserve grader behind DCE?

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

yes we should have you had no takers at that point and they signed AD for a 1 year deal at the time Brooks would have probably taken 1 year deal. Now it will cost probably 600k maybe more.

I get some of the fan base are not Brooks fans  but he is better rotations that clune, frawley, flannagan and the like. If we miss Brooks we are in a hell of a lot of pain.

Back then you were saying we should re-sign him for $750k. 

851 and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

We shouldn’t lose brooks. It will just be about dollars. I really love what we are seeing from brooks and I think more time under sheens and unfortunately douhies injury has given him a new lease on life. I’d even go as far as offer him a 3rd year because there is no kid ready to go and if needed we could always offload brooks. If we get our 6 on 600k then we could pay whatever we want for a 7. It’s a huge shame we missed on Moses because I think brooks Moses would have been magic 

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

We shouldn’t lose brooks. It will just be about dollars. I really love what we are seeing from brooks and I think more time under sheens and unfortunately douhies injury has given him a new lease on life. I’d even go as far as offer him a 3rd year because there is no kid ready to go and if needed we could always offload brooks. If we get our 6 on 600k then we could pay whatever we want for a 7. It’s a huge shame we missed on Moses because I think brooks Moses would have been magic 

Could you have believed 6 weeks ago that we would all have been worried about the prospect of losing Brooks? Still to get the results but the turnaround in this team and the perception of the fans is incredible.

851, Skippa13 and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

yes we should have you had no takers at that point and they signed AD for a 1 year deal at the time Brooks would have probably taken 1 year deal. Now it will cost probably 600k maybe more.

I get some of the fan base are not Brooks fans  but he is better rotations that clune, frawley, flannagan and the like. If we miss Brooks we are in a hell of a lot of pain.

Back then you were saying we should re-sign him for $750k. 

i have been very consistent we would re-sign him,

think it will cost us 700k in the end imo. Said weeks ago issac would come up with clubs for brooks. Some fans were unrealistic with 300k as a salary... Either way he is miles better than Flanagan, Klune, frawley. 

TigerTownSFS reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

As Garry said in the pod everytime he ran the ball he looked dangerous. Credit to coaching and instilling confidence. 

would love to break the bank for hunt as a 7, 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

We do not have a marquee player (or 1m+) player on our roster next year. Most clubs now have a couple. Our cap is pretty much in perfect position except that we are paying douhie not to play and noffa is on a littler (maybe 150k) too much. We have juniors that are pushing through and coaches that are improving players under their direction. We have assembled one of the strongest forward packs in the game. We have a playing group that is happy and hungry for success. We slot in a genuine marquee to this squad and we are going to catch fire. The fact that we are going toe to toe with all these teams i think counts massively in our favour in recruiting because players now know that we are a tough and talented team and they won’t have to do it all themselves. We just need to nail a marquee half.

851, jirskyr, Tiger_Alex and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

We do not have a marquee player (or 1m+) player on our roster next year. Most clubs now have a couple. Our cap is pretty much in perfect position except that we are paying douhie not to play and noffa is on a littler (maybe 150k) too much. We have juniors that are pushing through and coaches that are improving players under their direction. We have assembled one of the strongest forward packs in the game. We have a playing group that is happy and hungry for success. We slot in a genuine marquee to this squad and we are going to catch fire. The fact that we are going toe to toe with all these teams i think counts massively in our favour in recruiting because players now know that we are a tough and talented team and they won’t have to do it all themselves. We just need to nail a marquee half.

This is pretty much spot on.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger_Alex reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tiger5150 I think it shows how fickle and  reactionary most fans are to be honest . 
Well everyone except avo and Jedi . They’re like the north and South Pole in regards to brooks love lol

Tiger5150, 851, Skippa13 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @lestronge

@tiger5150 I think it shows how fickle and  reactionary most fans are to be honest . 
Well everyone except avo and Jedi . They’re like the north and South Pole in regards to brooks love lol

very true North and south pole in relation to Brooks lol Have to throw Celtic Tiger in the mix too, he said he would almost be done with the club if Brooks is re-signed. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

very true North and south pole in relation to Brooks lol Have to throw Celtic Tiger in the mix too, he said he would almost be done with the club if Brooks is re-signed. 

It also shows the wide gap between Brooks best and worst days.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Tiger5150, 851, Tiger_Alex and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

I think Brooks has played really good footy the last month or so. But I want to see a bit of consistency. We don't want to make the mistake we made with Nofo.

Tiger5150, lestronge, 851 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @helmesy

It also shows the wide gap between Brooks best and worst days.

looking at the option out there apart from Hunt the others frawley Flanagan clune etc are all a backwards step compared to Brooks. 

Problem is if we sign him we still need a halves partner and not much there 

ReplyQuote
Page 679 / 1067
Share: