Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @tiger5150

I have always been a proponent of zigging when others zag. I'd offer Volkman the $700-800K right now.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/nrl-warriors-or-tigers-inside-shaun-johnsons-15-million-decision/ICPGFZFSQNDR5NWP4O42MAA4XQ/

Is Volkman an improvement on Brooks?

IMO yes and importantly, the type of halfback we need. Johnson is playing really well, IMO because he is happy and comfortable at home. We will get an uncomfortable 34 to 36yo Johnson and Im not sure it would end well and would tie up money and time for years. I think we need to take a punt on a young unproven half like Volkman, Hawkins, Trindall (my preference) etc. Trindall is my preference but he seems to have a very clear career path in front of him to replace Moylan in the short term. What I mean by the zig when others zag is that with Johnsons rich form, if Warriors re-sign him, its going to block Volkman with Metcalf and TMM there. A preemptive strike on Volkman, for "overs" would possibly shake him loose.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

@tiger5150 Volkman is an excellent player, way too good to be stuck in reserve grade. I agree I’d be having a big crack at him, would be a much better option than SJ.

Tiger_Alex and Anonymous reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Volkman is signed until end of 2025 absolutely no chance warriors let him go, they will let SJ leave first

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Volkman is signed until end of 2025 absolutely no chance warriors let him go, they will let SJ leave first

yes, surely they would sacrifice the veteran instead of the up and comer.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Mike and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

This is my whole point with the zig zag thing. This has been put on a platter for the Tigers to take home one of them and Tigers should be applying pressure from both sides, volkman and Johnson.

851, Mike, Frullens and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Exactly why Tigers should be pressuring hard on both Johnson and Volkman. Get in Volkman agents ear, go hard for Johnson and either sign him (on our terms) or force Warriors hand to re-sign him. If Warriors re-sign Johnson, there is zero chance Volkman is there in 2025 and Volkman is an Aussie from Sydney.

851 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

This is my whole point with the zig zag thing. This has been put on a platter for the Tigers to take home one of them and Tigers should be applying pressure from both sides, volkman and Johnson.

I guess it just depends on Johnson and his family feel about coming back. Big decision.

851 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Tigers coach Tim Sheens has confirmed the club’s interest in Warriors star Shaun Johnson for 2024 as they attempt to alleviate a shortage in their halfback stocks.

The pair of Luke Brooks and Brandon Wakeham led the Tigers to an upset win against Penrith last week to kickstart their season, and Sheens said they’ll be given every chance to form a strong combination this year.

However, Sheens admitted the club is in a market for another half next season as Adam Douiehi’s third ACL injury is likely to keep him sidelined for a big chunk of 2024.

“Shaun Johnson has been discussed but that’s because we’ve lost Adam,” Sheens said at a club press conference on Saturday.

“We are down to two halfbacks of first-grade calibre. We aren’t talking about this year but I don’t think Adam will play much next year just quietly.

“Hopefully that isn’t the case, but we can’t count on him for next year.

Johnson, who is playing some of his best footy in recent years for the overachieving Warriors this season, is off contract at the end of 2023.

It’s unclear whether the 32-year-old would be keen to join a rebuilding side like the Tigers, but Sheens has made no secret that he and the club are interesting in linking up with a player of Johnson’s ilk.

“We are looking for a short-term fix for that … We’ve got to recruit again for that position.

“He’s off contract. It’s only in the preliminary stages at the moment, whether he leaves New Zealand is another thing.

“It’s only one of a few discussions we’ve got planned to be quite honest.”

The Tigers will be aiming to make it two on the trot when they clash with the Dragons on Sunday.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2023-wests-tigers-new-halfback-for-2024-tim-sheens-tigers-confirm-interest-in-shaun-johnson-luke-brooks-reaction-nrl-rumours/news-story/7edd1948efc6def124206e0266f8217b

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

I guess it just depends on Johnson and his family feel about coming back. Big decision.

Also if Warriors want him to go around again for a few more years. Between SJ, Metcalf, TMM & Volkman they have the halves well sorted and if SJ gets re-signed, they will lose one IMO.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 SJ may not want to leave nz he may retire, they won lose volkman. 

Reckon they might release Temare Martin or Mercalfe before Volkman. If SJ wants to go around again maybe they push him to 6 and play volkman at 7

they also appease volkman by playing him middle to end of this year saying you are our man. 

Our best chance would be going after townsend I sense upheaval there, think we are at least making enquiries for townsend

For all we know club might be going after Hunt if Hook gets rolled at dragons and he gets the Edgar's surely we have enough money to make a play. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

@tiger5150 SJ may not want to leave nz he may retire, they won lose volkman. 

Reckon they might release Temare Martin or Mercalfe before Volkman. If SJ wants to go around again maybe they push him to 6 and play volkman at 7

they also appease volkman by playing him middle to end of this year saying you are our man. 

Our best chance would be going after townsend I sense upheaval there, think we are at least making enquiries for townsend

For all we know club might be going after Hunt if Hook gets rolled at dragons and he gets the Edgar's surely we have enough money to make a play. 

Townsend is 34yo next year, in poor form with injury issues. No thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 just can't see SJ leaving NZ mate. Ben Hunt would be the pick but he will cost plenty.

we are probably looking at Sezer in SL too I'd think

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

@tiger5150 just can't see SJ leaving NZ mate. Ben Hunt would be the pick but he will cost plenty.

we are probably looking at Sezer in SL too I'd think

Ben Hunt is the pick of the old blokes IMO. Trindall would be the pick of the younger brigade. Its a decision of which way you go. If the Tigers had a gun half coming through, I'd be more comfortable with a SJ/Hunt strategy but we dont (Large will be a 6 or the next AD) and so I'd probably prefer to take the chance on a young guy for 2 years.

851, Barra, Mike and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

IMG 4159

Westy81 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

IMG 4159

🤞the manly centre maybe?

ReplyQuote
Page 627 / 1067
Share: