Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Another thing to consider is, do you look at a pair? Taafe is being groomed as Cody's replacement but that isn't set in stone. Souths are also looking at Sloane for fullback, so that means Latrell could go to 6 if not the centres. 

It's a risk going with two current reserve grade players, but sometimes getting two mates together with an opportunity can flourish. The big question is, do you u feel Taafe can do a better job at 6 then Brooks? If so, then get both Hawkins and Taafe and work with them, be patient. Also get them a 13 that will take some pressure off them.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

Another thing to consider is, do you look at a pair? Taafe is being groomed as Cody's replacement but that isn't set in stone. Souths are also looking at Sloane for fullback, so that means Latrell could go to 6 if not the centres. 

It's a risk going with two current reserve grade players, but sometimes getting two mates together with an opportunity can flourish. The big question is, do you u feel Taafe can do a better job at 6 then Brooks? If so, then get both Hawkins and Taafe and work with them, be patient. Also get them a 13 that will take some pressure off them.

That's exactly what i'd be trying to do. Bringing together 2 halves that have experience working together is really valuable imo. If we can get both and have Benji work with them I think it would definitely be a step in the right direction. They're also both off contract this year. Sign them both up for 2024, agitate to get them here for this year and have them spend the rest of the season as 6 and 7. And stick with them for a while. No chopping and changing.

Westy81 and MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

That's exactly what i'd be trying to do. Bringing together 2 halves that have experience working together is really valuable imo. If we can get both and have Benji work with them I think it would definitely be a step in the right direction. They're also both off contract this year. Sign them both up for 2024, agitate to get them here for this year and have them spend the rest of the season as 6 and 7. And stick with them for a while. No chopping and changing.

I'm not a fan of trying to develop 2 halves at the same time, that is the exact mistake we made with Brooks. Much easier to develop them with on field guidance. Issue is how do we find someone to do that.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

I'm not a fan of trying to develop 2 halves at the same time, that is the exact mistake we made with Brooks. Much easier to develop them with on field guidance. Issue is how do we find someone to do that.

Agree with this. The issue I see in the next 18months-2years is the juggling act between providing immediate improvement, developing players and not sandbagging the squad with inadequate players or salary cap anchors. The way I suspect this will pan out is that Brooks will be extended 12 months, we get a reserve grade halfback in for 2 years and chase an established player for 2025 onwards

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Yeh I'm not sure on Hawkins either. I remember watching him play an NRL game and I was super impressed with his kicking game, his confidence and his ability to engage the line very similar to Reynolds. However the most recent time I saw him was in reserve grade and his kicking game seemed to lack power, so that had me scratching my head.

If we get him it's best to do it now, throw him an opportunity and see if there is something to work with. He won't be a super star, but i do know he backs himself, has a bit of go and fight in him. I think he could be the good organiser we crave. He walked out of Souths training not long ago, so he is clearly desperate for an opportunity and has a personality that won't take shit.

If Trindall is a no go, then Hawkins is a much better option to experiment with then Wakeham. 

Personally I'd give Laurie a go at 6 first, but that looks unlikely to happen.

Didnt play for Souths reserve grade this weekend just gone. No reference anywhere to him being injured either.

He's about 3rd choice half at Souths but probably walks straight into our halfback jersey.

He's done a decent apprenticeship in the lower grades. I would support offering him a 6 or 18 month contract.

This post was modified 1 year ago by MickeyB

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@avocadoontoast Dont think souths would let Taffe and Hawkins both walk. We'd have to offer at least Daine Laurie and / or someone else in exchange.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @garry

That's the issue, we're not going to sign an established quality half, regardless of money, for at least the next couple of years. There's none available and none would want to play for us even if they were. We tried Pearce, we tried Williams. No good. So what do we do for the remainder of this year and next year? Wakeham isn't really a first grader, AD might never come back and re-signing Brooks is hara-kiri for the club.

So we need to go down the rookie route. It is a far better idea imo to get two players in who have experience playing together and already know each others game. Lot easier to settle in when your halves partner knows how you play. Luai and Cleary are the classic recent example of this.

Westy81 and MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @mickb

@avocadoontoast Dont think souths would let Taffe and Hawkins both walk. We'd have to offer at least Daine Laurie and / or someone else in exchange.

They can have Laurie without question, and Nofa if they're feeling really stupid lol

Joel Helmes and MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

So we need to go down the rookie route. It is a far better idea imo to get two players in who have experience playing together and already know each others game. Lot easier to settle in when your halves partner knows how you play. Luai and Cleary are the classic recent example of this.

Didn't work with Brooks and Moses.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Yeh I'm not sure on Hawkins either. I remember watching him play an NRL game and I was super impressed with his kicking game, his confidence and his ability to engage the line very similar to Reynolds. However the most recent time I saw him was in reserve grade and his kicking game seemed to lack power, so that had me scratching my head.

If we get him it's best to do it now, throw him an opportunity and see if there is something to work with. He won't be a super star, but i do know he backs himself, has a bit of go and fight in him. I think he could be the good organiser we crave. He walked out of Souths training not long ago, so he is clearly desperate for an opportunity and has a personality that won't take shit.

If Trindall is a no go, then Hawkins is a much better option to experiment with then Wakeham. 

Didnt play for Souths reserve grade this weekend just gone. No reference anywhere to him being injured either.

He's about 3rd choice half at Souths but probably walks straight into our halfback jersey.

He's done a decent apprenticeship in the lower grades. I would support offering him a 6 or 18 month contract.

he only played 69minutes the week before so I assume injured.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Didn't work with Brooks and Moses.

I don't really agree with that. I thought they were both pretty good together. Brooks was ruined by Madge and Sheens has finished the job - wasn't to do with them coming up together.

What's your suggestion?

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@mickb thought Hawkins was coming here, fingers crossed if true as a much better player than wakeham and plays the traditional 7 role.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 Brooks extends for 12 months as a 6 takes him to end of 2024. Maybe 1 year at 700k (less 180k long service discount) takes it to around 500k or so on the cap. You probably will  not get a rookie for much under that anyway.

The cupboard is bare for 7's for 2024 at nrl or SL level 

You then reload and try and get a SL 7 from that point in 2025 and you don't have Brooks or AD on the books

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@tiger5150 Brooks extends for 12 months as a 6 takes him to end of 2024. Maybe 1 year at 700k (less 180k long service discount) takes it to around 500k or so on the cap. You probably will  not get a rookie for much under that anyway.

The cupboard is bare for 7's for 2024 at nrl or SL level 

You then reload and try and get a SL 7 from that point in 2025 and you don't have Brooks or AD on the books

Jedi, Brooks has been on the market for almost 6 months now and no one has snapped him up. I think $700K is overs and would think if the Tigers extend him its for less.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

He got pulled from reserve grade because of Souths short turnaround. They wanted coverage for firsts. He is certainly Souths 2nd choice half, not 3rd.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 580 / 1067
Share: