Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

With Doueihi out for what looks like the season am I right in saying our halves options are Brooks, Wakeham and Laurie? Do we have anyone else who has played senior footy in the halves? 

Benji

So you’re saying our other option is a 37 year old who hasn’t played any football for 18 months and played off the bench in his last season? Please tell me you aren’t being serious. 

ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

With Doueihi out for what looks like the season am I right in saying our halves options are Brooks, Wakeham and Laurie? Do we have anyone else who has played senior footy in the halves? 

Benji

So you’re saying our other option is a 37 year old who hasn’t played any football for 18 months and played off the bench in his last season? Please tell me you aren’t being serious. 

And he is farming our boys up at training. I'm not saying I'd do it, I just wouldn't be surprised if it happens

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

I have a feeling if we dont get Sezer or Sullivan from Dragons or Hawkins from souths, benji will lack up the boots for the remainder of the year. 

Very wests tigers thing to do 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

I have a feeling if we dont get Sezer or Sullivan from Dragons or Hawkins from souths, benji will lack up the boots for the remainder of the year. 

Along the same lines as Garry's point on the pod, Im on board for Sezer or Sullivan on a 2 year contract or 1 years if Brooks gets extended but we need to be looking for better to tie into anything longer.

Kenny4517, The Last Ronin, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

I think having Benji running around again may be my tipping point on giving up in the club. 

It’s so Wests Tigers but it’s also laughable 

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @mickb

Posted by: @lestronge

I’d be scouting the Queensland Cup/ Queenslander/ NSWelshman who came up in Queensland . 
It’s well known in junior circles that Queensland develop superior halves . Due to things like mod rules to international rules . Being able to run early from first receiver etc. 

The best halves  in our comp have been Queenslanders for 15-20 years . Or they develop much faster and more completely playing Q cup. 
Fogarty was languishing down here before he went up there and spent a couple of seasons with Burleigh Bears.

Madden will play 2-3 seasons up there and you watch him emerge in 2025 for some team and be on the “ones the tigers let get away” lists . ( His defence was garbage btw . I don’t know what people were watching. And the players outside him just didn’t trust him. He will come hood though) . 
Or maybe there’s not. But Hynes languished in the NSW cup , then spent a few years up there and he’s elite now. 
Pezet looks to be the next big thing , but good luck getting him . 
I will say this, in opposite to what I’m saying , it is concerning that the new Brisbane team chose an 18 year  old as their half , and Brisbane chose madden as first drop . Both playing in Sydney the last few years 

Agree re Madden. He's a quality player and will slide straight in once Reynolds retires.

I agree that Qld Cup is a good option. Tristan Sailor has plenty of promise and won't play NRL for the Broncos this year

No offence and I will concede I haven't watched and QLD Cup this year, but I saw nothing at all in Jock Madden at Tigers to make me think he had a long-term career in first grade. Sometimes I have a visceral reaction of "this bloke does not have what it takes" and that spidey-sense was pinging full-pelt every time Madden was on the field. He defends OK, everything else I was very underwhelmed.

Of course I might be proven wrong. Unfortunately, "killing it in QLD Cup", if true, isn't necessarily a benchmark for future success, because guys like Tyson Gamble and Reece Hoffman were also killing it in QLD Cup when we signed them, and haven't gone much anywhere since.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

I think having Benji running around again may be my tipping point on giving up in the club. 

Given the limited options available, our halves form and now the immediate need since ADs injury - I'd have to say that the chance of seeing Benji's return is getting higher and higher.

It won't happen, but I would have to think it's being discussed 

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @frullens

Given the limited options available, our halves form and now the immediate need since ADs injury - I'd have to say that the chance of seeing Benji's return is getting higher and higher.

It won't happen, but I would have to think it's being discussed 

I think Im out if it happens. Only so much shame and embarrassment this club can pour on itself.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/jarome-luai-or-dylan-edwards-penrith-s-million-dollar-conundrum-20230411-p5czk5.html

edwards or luai for 2025? Not sure exactly which one I would prefer, edwards is excellent and reliable but not sure he is something that is not able to be recreated. He is not proto typical super athlete/extra half that has been so dominant at 1 recently. Luai is probably a more unique talent but would be be worth it if we don’t have 7 to run the team. 

doesn’t sound like panthers can keep both

ReplyQuote
Crowsnest
(@crowsnest)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

edwards or luai for 2025? Not sure exactly which one I would prefer,

Edwards, surely mate that would be a no brainer.

Not only has he got everything that a modern fullback has to have, he is also tough as nails. Apparently one of the best scrappers in the panthers club. Not that this is a requirement but it shows he won't be pushed around and dictated to.

Tiger_Alex reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @crowsnest

2025 is benji’s first year. Something tells me he would prefer a luai at 6 unless there is something in the lower grades that is a generational talent.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @crowsnest

2025 is benji’s first year. Something tells me he would prefer a luai at 6 unless there is something in the lower grades that is a generational talent.

Surely even Benji can see that Luai is just like him and needs a good 7 to be effective. 

Crowsnest reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Williams 2024, luai 2025?

Crowsnest reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Williams 2024, luai 2025?

If we could pull that off it would be fantastic but I just don’t see Williams leaving the UK. 

ReplyQuote
Crowsnest
(@crowsnest)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

If we want a good 6 is Luai the answer? I've got reservations on that guy. The guy averages 36 SC points a game and the games he does rate well in it's because Cleary is running wild and dominating play.

He's played in a lot of games when he's done sfa.

If he hasn't got a ½ that's dominant then he's less effective...imo.

On the other hand, if you look at Mat Burton or Dillon Brown they have more to their game. Burton would bring a lot to our team with his versatility. Both those boys regularly score average 40+ SC points.

Solution, find another Burton, maybe Jack Wighton to partner his old mate Williams. That I'd like to see... Pending on Brooks and AD leaving.

ReplyQuote
Page 560 / 1067
Share: