[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @frullens

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @jirskyr

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@frullens we might be going well as a club financially but probably not well enough to pay huge transfer fees. Remember the complaints by the club over Batemans 250k ? Welsby will easily be 3 times that and so would George Williams

What's the point of doing well financially if we can't pay transfer fees? What are we using the money on that's more important?

I think the major issue is that "financially better off" and "free cash" are two separate things. So although Tigers are in a better financial position than they used to be, they are using that money to invest back into the club, pathways and community, and as such there isn't a lot of cold hard cash left over.

It's like the difference between owning 3-4 houses and putting all your savings into the mortgages, vs owning 1 hours but having $250K available cash to buy a Ferrari.

I am guessing that many clubs don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars at their disposal, that isn't already earmarked for something else.

If a club hasn't made finals in 12 years wouldn't the most important thing be to try and improve onfield performance in some way?

That's my thinking

Every year we font make the finals- every year it will become more and more expensive to attract talent - until we hit a point where no amount of money would attract decent players.

Paying money now to turn on field performance around - is an investment in the future.

IMO talent will come to WT when they finally dispense with the farcical coaching arrangement that is Sheens/Marshall/McDonnell. How could any serious player or their agent buy into the fantasy world inflicted upon WT by Pascoe, Board and Chairman Mouth? 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Don't know how true it is I heard Papali is keen to go back to NZ due to family issues. I wonder if something will be worked out with warriors for 2024, maybe we get Metcalfe from them ?

can’t really blame him. After the start we’ve had I want to go live in NZ and I’m not even from there.

851, Kenny4517, Jedi Tiger and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Don't know how true it is I heard Papali is keen to go back to NZ due to family issues. I wonder if something will be worked out with warriors for 2024, maybe we get Metcalfe from them ?

can’t really blame him. After the start we’ve had I want to go live in NZ and I’m not even from there.

Great. Here we go again 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

papalli is probably one of the few players who we could trade our given we have some much depth in the back row and he would attract genuine interest.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

What about this: we are playing brooks 1m + for this season. The minimum requirement is to spend 95% of the cap which is 11.4m out of 12m. We are about half way through the financial year so he has about 600k to go on his last year contract. We get someone to pay 300k for the rest of the 2023 season for brooks and maybe 200k for noffa and we play the year 500k under the cap and we use that 500k to pay transfer fees for the UK spine targets (Williams/Welsby etc). We have enough depth in the wing to cover noffa and between Laurie, douhie, wakeham, smith, simpkins we make do with 2 halves and then set us up for 2023.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

What about this: we are playing brooks 1m + for this season. The minimum requirement is to spend 95% of the cap which is 11.4m out of 12m. We are about half way through the financial year so he has about 600k to go on his last year contract. We get someone to pay 300k for the rest of the 2023 season for brooks and maybe 200k for noffa and we play the year 500k under the cap and we use that 500k to pay transfer fees for the UK spine targets (Williams/Welsby etc). We have enough depth in the wing to cover noffa and between Laurie, douhie, wakeham, smith, simpkins we make do with 2 halves and then set us up for 2023.

I really can’t see anyone taking Brooks off our hands, irrespective of $. We had the chance to let him go but that ship has now sailed. His value in the open market is pretty much zero.

851, Westy81, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@tigertownsfs I would go for metcalfe. As for Brooks he won't just magically disappear to another club mid season like some pray for. He may well not he here in 2024 but 2023 he won't go anywhere as we do  not have depth this year

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@tigertownsfs his grandma did pass away so it was probably just that and the player manager just having a lend.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rex2ce)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@tigertownsfs don’t think cap money can be used to pay transfer fees

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @rex2ce

@tigertownsfs don’t think cap money can be used to pay transfer fees

NRL gives the clubs a grant, how it’s spent is up to the club but the grant is for more than the salary cap itself. Separately there is a requirement to spend at least 95% of the cap

ReplyQuote
(@westy81)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@mac_tiger I thought tigers were looking at taafe before we signed will smith and Wakeham

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tigertownsfs nope not true mate . The RLPA expects that money to be spent on the players . It’s in the EBA .

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

Taafe is more of a 1/6, rather than an organising 7 isn't he?

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @lestronge

@tigertownsfs nope not true mate . The RLPA expects that money to be spent on the players . It’s in the EBA .

I think you miss my point. The requirement is to spend 95% of the salary cap. It doesn’t matter where the money comes from.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Tom Mikaele is coming back to Australia to play for the Titans.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Page 538 / 1067
Share: