Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@avocadoontoast don't think he will play Brooks in reserve grade not until after the bye anyway

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Posted by: @frullens

Even if the transfer fee is $3mil, the club needs to do everything it build a winning club. 

Transfer fee don't affect the cap, just the clubs bottom line. So in my view, pay the transfer fee, and bring Williams and Welsby as soon as possible

This is exactly how I see it too. No point going on about how good we're going financially if we don't use it to improve on field performance.

We have Brooks and a couple of others that could go the other way. I think I’m on board with Eddie - Nofa is not an NRL standard winger any longer. If I were him I’d be looking for a UK deal, get the $ and see the world.

Nofa hasn’t been a 1st grade winger ever since he got his ridiculous 5 year deal. 

851, Joel Helmes, Avo and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@avocadoontoast don't think he will play Brooks in reserve grade not until after the bye anyway

He’ll keep his spot because there is no one else. Hopefully something happens and he gets back to a least serviceable form. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@avocadoontoast I don't know mate but clubs don't generally pay bucket loads on transfer fees.

I agree welsby and Williams would be great but can't see it happening

I don't see any other option. Sheens made a massive error persisting with Brooks when he was ready to go to Newcastle, so now he has to rectify the problem he created. There are no good options available for next year currently in the NRL so they have to simply pay whatever it takes to get Williams across ASAP. I'd also be throwing money at RTS. Make those two changes and we're winning more games than we're losing. Not sure who plays 6, probably Wakeham. AD and Brooks to stay in reserve grade.

Agree we should be making a strong approach to Williams. If we can't get him i'd go for Blake Taafe - would be cheap and behind Ilias in the pecking order. 

Westy81, 851, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@frullens we might be going well as a club financially but probably not well enough to pay huge transfer fees. Remember the complaints by the club over Batemans 250k ? Welsby will easily be 3 times that and so would George Williams

What's the point of doing well financially if we can't pay transfer fees? What are we using the money on that's more important?

I think the major issue is that "financially better off" and "free cash" are two separate things. So although Tigers are in a better financial position than they used to be, they are using that money to invest back into the club, pathways and community, and as such there isn't a lot of cold hard cash left over.

It's like the difference between owning 3-4 houses and putting all your savings into the mortgages, vs owning 1 hours but having $250K available cash to buy a Ferrari.

I am guessing that many clubs don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars at their disposal, that isn't already earmarked for something else.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tiger5150 yea that’s why I said the bench in another post . Or you move Bateman into 13 and AJ on his edge.. Or a bench of AJ , Simpkin , Blore , Twal . 
there’s a lot of diversity there.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@wombat)
Wests Tigers Supporter

@avocadoontoast You should email that to Pascoe for some tips.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @mac_tiger

@avocadoontoast I don't know mate but clubs don't generally pay bucket loads on transfer fees.

I don't see any other option. Sheens made a massive error persisting with Brooks when he was ready to go to Newcastle, so now he has to rectify the problem he created. There are no good options available for next year currently in the NRL so they have to simply pay whatever it takes to get Williams across ASAP. I'd also be throwing money at RTS. Make those two changes and we're winning more games than we're losing. Not sure who plays 6, probably Wakeham. AD and Brooks to stay in reserve grade.

Agree we should be making a strong approach to Williams. If we can't get him i'd go for Blake Taafe - would be cheap and behind Ilias in the pecking order. 

I thikn Tigers sounded Williams out during the offseason and reportedly baulked at the transfer fee. I dont think that fee would be less now the season has started in fact I dont think they will let him go at all.

Jedi Tiger and MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @jirskyr

@frullens we might be going well as a club financially but probably not well enough to pay huge transfer fees. Remember the complaints by the club over Batemans 250k ? Welsby will easily be 3 times that and so would George Williams

What's the point of doing well financially if we can't pay transfer fees? What are we using the money on that's more important?

I think the major issue is that "financially better off" and "free cash" are two separate things. So although Tigers are in a better financial position than they used to be, they are using that money to invest back into the club, pathways and community, and as such there isn't a lot of cold hard cash left over.

It's like the difference between owning 3-4 houses and putting all your savings into the mortgages, vs owning 1 hours but having $250K available cash to buy a Ferrari.

I am guessing that many clubs don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars at their disposal, that isn't already earmarked for something else.

If a club hasn't made finals in 12 years wouldn't the most important thing be to try and improve onfield performance in some way?

Frullens, Joel Helmes and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @mac_tiger

We'd have to offer Taffe a multi year deal but I would do it. The guy performed amazingly well as a rookie during 2021 finals (including GF) but hasn't got a go since then.

Taffe is managed by Sam Ayoub who I think is on the nose with Sheens at the moment so cant see him coming to WT.

ReplyQuote
(@851)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @mike

Even if the transfer fee is $3mil, the club needs to do everything it build a winning club. 

Transfer fee don't affect the cap, just the clubs bottom line. So in my view, pay the transfer fee, and bring Williams and Welsby as soon as possible

This is exactly how I see it too. No point going on about how good we're going financially if we don't use it to improve on field performance.

We have Brooks and a couple of others that could go the other way. I think I’m on board with Eddie - Nofa is not an NRL standard winger any longer. If I were him I’d be looking for a UK deal, get the $ and see the world.

Nofa hasn’t been a 1st grade winger ever since he got his ridiculous 5 year deal. 

And Brooks hasn't been a 1st grade half for the same amount of time, or longer, yet Nofa was dropped, loaned out, dropped again, and all the while brooks is stinking it up in 1st grade, and that is why we are a poor side right now, not everyone is accountable for their form

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @851

Posted by: @mike

And Brooks hasn't been a 1st grade half for the same amount of time, or longer, yet Nofa was dropped, loaned out, dropped again, and all the while brooks is stinking it up in 1st grade, and that is why we are a poor side right now, not everyone is accountable for their form

Good attitude = stay in the side.

Poor attitude = get dropped.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @jirskyr

If a club hasn't made finals in 12 years wouldn't the most important thing be to try and improve onfield performance in some way?

That's my thinking

Every year we font make the finals- every year it will become more and more expensive to attract talent - until we hit a point where no amount of money would attract decent players.

Paying money now to turn on field performance around - is an investment in the future.

Top 8 2023

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@benji-brasher)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

Posted by: @benji-brasher

Get Jock Madden anyone ? 🥴🤔

where did he end up? Brisbane? 

yes mate went to the broncs doubt he will get much of a run there .

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Don't know how true it is I heard Papali is keen to go back to NZ due to family issues. I wonder if something will be worked out with warriors for 2024, maybe we get Metcalfe from them ?

ReplyQuote
Page 537 / 1067
Share: