[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @mercy-rule

Posted by: @momo-amp-medo

Posted by: @frullens

Except both Api and Papali’i signed under Madge?

Nope …. check yor facts.

They both signed whilst Madge was coach, Sheens was Football GM....semantics?

It's not "semantics" it's fact. They signed to play with Michael Maguire as head NRL coach. Sheens sacked him, provided no support at all to Kimmorley that led to the club's first wooden spoon, chased hard on Ciraldo and failed (yet again ... his ESL record is appalling), had to reluctantly take on the NRL head coach himself because there was no alternative, with a succession plan to Marshall,  the great pretender and untried as coach. If this was an organization on the ASX it would be wound up for lack of due diligence and complete ineptitude.  

Mate I agree that its a fact that Api and Papi signed under Madge, thats my point. My post was in response to momo saying "Nope...check your facts" in response to them signing under Madge. The only thing I could think of is that momo meant that it was under Sheens as GM Football and if so, IMO this is semantics because both of these players signed under madge as coach and thinking Madge was going to be Coach.

Im a fan of Madge as a bloke, not as a coach and Im glad Sheens got rid of him. I am 1000% more satisfied with the current direction of the club compared to 12 months ago, but it is a fact that cant be argued by anything other than semantics that Api and Papi signed whilst Madge was coach on the understanding that Madge would be coaching them.

Sheens got rid of him and provided ZERO in terms of support or guidance for Kimmorley. Sheens, the great destroyer, went all out on the belief that he could land Ciraldo as head NRL coach. He failed. Why would you be "happy" that Sheens as any role at all in contemporary NRL? 

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

@tiger5150 agree with everything you mate.

Madge gave his everything - it obviously didn't work. I just don't get why we need to kick him while he's down. Say thanks for your efforts and move on. 

Very happy with where things are heading, but Sheens still has some work to do in my opinion. Got rid of best 7 and our back up - so we currently have no decent 7. Hopefully get moses and waiting on baited breathe. but 7 is a risk that needs to be addressed and benji playing is not an option. 

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Nope …. check yor facts.

It's not "semantics" it's fact. They signed to play with Michael Maguire as head NRL coach. Sheens sacked him, provided no support at all to Kimmorley that led to the club's first wooden spoon, chased hard on Ciraldo and failed (yet again ... his ESL record is appalling), had to reluctantly take on the NRL head coach himself because there was no alternative, with a succession plan to Marshall,  the great pretender and untried as coach. If this was an organization on the ASX it would be wound up for lack of due diligence and complete ineptitude.  

Mate I agree that its a fact that Api and Papi signed under Madge, thats my point. My post was in response to momo saying "Nope...check your facts" in response to them signing under Madge. The only thing I could think of is that momo meant that it was under Sheens as GM Football and if so, IMO this is semantics because both of these players signed under madge as coach and thinking Madge was going to be Coach.

Im a fan of Madge as a bloke, not as a coach and Im glad Sheens got rid of him. I am 1000% more satisfied with the current direction of the club compared to 12 months ago, but it is a fact that cant be argued by anything other than semantics that Api and Papi signed whilst Madge was coach on the understanding that Madge would be coaching them.

Sheens got rid of him and provided ZERO in terms of support or guidance for Kimmorley. Sheens, the great destroyer, went all out on the belief that he could land Ciraldo as head NRL coach. He failed. Why would you be "happy" that Sheens as any role at all in contemporary NRL? 

I think he’s done a great job of de-Madge-ing the team. He’s gotten rid of some of those braindead Madge signings and replaced them with players of a much higher calibre. I thought it would take years to get rid of the stench that Madge left behind but he’s done it in 6 months. Very impressive!

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@tiger5150 agree with everything you mate.

Madge gave his everything - it obviously didn't work. I just don't get why we need to kick him while he's down. Say thanks for your efforts and move on. 

Very happy with where things are heading, but Sheens still has some work to do in my opinion. Got rid of best 7 and our back up - so we currently have no decent 7. Hopefully get moses and waiting on baited breathe. but 7 is a risk that needs to be addressed and benji playing is not an option. 

I think there is an awful lot riding on the Moses signing, I would almost go as far as saying the success or failure of the Sheens tenure depends on getting it over the line. 

There’s a distinct lack of plan B half backs out there and the size of the Tigers offer to Moses would seem to reflect this.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Nope …. check yor facts.

Glad you asked....reasons to be cheerful (Part 1)

1. Sheens sacked Madge - There was zero progression under Madge on a team, club or individual basis. IMO LL was the only player that got better under his coaching and everyone else regressed or stagnated. There was no evidence of any sort of game plan, structures in attack or defence. In short, no reason other than faith to believe that anything was going to get better. Right decision to pull off the band aid.

2. "Treatment" of Kimmorley - The "appalling" way that Sheens treated Kimmorley indicated to me that Sheens understands what needs to happen to turn this club around and what needs to be done. Sheens will need a full and entire off season to change players, skills, mindsets, attitudes, enthusiasm. In order to do this he needs these players to believe that it is possible and that things actually are different. If Sheens had been there at training and in the dressing rooms at half time at the end of last season, which was the culmination of years of Madgeball, then this would not be possible and the players would be returning to Sheens now thinking here we go again. it was the right thing to do, and Im "happy" Sheens recognises it.

3. Squad - Yes Api & Papi signed when Madge was coach (and Sheens was GM) but this offseason has been the best ever at getting rid of rubbish from our squad (signed by Madge like Peachey) and replacing with quality. Getting rid of Gildart, Peachey, Tamou, Madden and YES Hastings was the best thing for a long time and replacements such as Staines, Klemmer Bateman and Naden (signed a week before Madge sacked , 100% Sheens signing) are a massive step up. This is the strongest squad we have started a season with since 2011.

4. Sheens Comments - There have been things that as fans we have seen and complained about for YEARS that never changed under Madge and were never even discussed under Madge. It has been refreshing to hear how many of them have been commented on by Sheens so he at least can see the problems which there was no evidence of under Madge. These include team fitness, attacking skills, player development.

There has not been a ball kicked in anger yet and like every preseason, this is the "best ever" and will mean nothing when round 1 rolls around, but on pretty much every measurable parameter, the club looks better this preseason than any other.

Thanks for asking.

Skippa13, Tiger_Alex, CanberraTiger and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 the club is in a much better shape since Madge has left. Well done to the recruitment team.

Tales from tigertown showed the nrl fans how poor Madges coaching was. Basically F this and F that, enjoy canberra Madge with Stick. Basically no player improved under Madge. 

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

see rothfields latest comments, desperate for the Tigers to miss out on Moses.

Good work Phil

https://www.skyracing.com.au/listen/podcast/sky-sports-Radios-Big-Sports-breakfast

worth a listen to this Buzz interview from this morning.

Suggests there is another meeting with the Eels this week regarding MM. He got the info from Moses manager.

I predict that Eels release a no name in the next few days so they can front load a new contract for Mitch Moses.

Tigers might end up with Nathan Brown after MM re-signs but I think I would rather us get a back up half first.

Tigers seem to have gone gold on taking Brown because they know it frees up Eels cap for Moses. Might not make a difference in the end.

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

@tiger5150 the club is in a much better shape since Madge has left. Well done to the recruitment team.

Tales from tigertown showed the nrl fans how poor Madges coaching was. Basically F this and F that, enjoy canberra Madge with Stick. Basically no player improved under Madge. 

Im not wanting to stick the boot into Madge. I like him as a bloke and I also think that other than Sheens and Junior, no other coach has bought into the club like Madge did. I think he genuinely loved the club and wanted success but he didnt have it in him. I also cant understand the sentiment of putting the boot into Sheens yet. Everything that they have touched since Ciraldo said no has been a win IMO and I cant understand how anyone could rationalise it otherwise.

Russtutty63, Frullens, lestronge and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Hoping pom has an update in relation to Moses, would love a confirmation on what I was told, I was told decision Thursday

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 well said, I don't hate Madge I think as a person a good guy. Just think he was struck up the backside with a rainbow in a way in 201r with that side at souths it was a good side. 

I think if Madge gets a good solid side he can probably take a team from top 8 to a contender, just don't think he has the game to take a bottom team to the 8, the power game he coached in 2014 has kind of passed. 

Sheens is an innovator he won't die wondering and he will have the team playing expansive footy. 

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

@hsvjones if we get Moses as a 7 then also no need to keep Doueihi post 2024 at centre for goal kicking as Moses can handle that. 

douhie seemed right with Hastings. He’d be better off going to the Knights to partner Hastings and let ponga play 1

Ponga will be playing 5/8 regardless. 

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@frullens nobody judging anybody . Like others I think he is a good bloke and would have forgotten more about footy than I’ll ever know . 
My comments were based around how players viewed him. And outside of one or two , he’s not viewed fondly . Rightly or wrongly . 
Sorry mate , but judging by the way you reacted I think you may have some bias towards Madge . 
Because I honestly don’t , outside of whispers and conversations of former players saying they hated him. 

Im merely calling a spade a spade . Whether you agree or not is irrelevant . The general playing community didn’t like him for whatever reason . And that’s a shame as others have said , because he seems like a genuine bloke . I doubt there’s many of those running around in nrl circles . 
I think you may be playing the man , and I’m playing the results . 
If ever there was a coach who I’ve wanted to succeed it’s been Madge . If anyone knew me , it wouldn’t take much to realise that Madge is my kind of coach. But those types don’t last long . Bellamy is an albatross . He’s not the norm . The screamers are gone after a few years . You could include Sticky as well , but he is Canberra , and they haven’t forgotten how absolutely atrocious they were after sheens left until sticky took over . Ask any raiders fan and none have a short memory for that. Everyone else its 2-3 years and gone . Including sticky at other clubs not named Canberra . 

851 and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Just listened to the Buzz interview. 

He says we are at 1.3/1.4, bulldogs 1.2 and Eels 1m - thinks he's going to the bulldogs - but Eels have another meeting to see if they can bump up. MM dad is a Eels fan.

How's everyone's confidence? Mine is reducing slightly. I think once your talking that type of money and consider tax etc - even though there's 400k difference you're on hige coin regardless, so you'd pick what's best from footy point of view.

What do you think the clubs plan b is? 

Top 8 2023

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

@lestronge mate agree with you. 

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Im not wanting to stick the boot into Madge. I like him as a bloke and I also think that other than Sheens and Junior, no other coach has bought into the club like Madge did. I think he genuinely loved the club and wanted success but he didnt have it in him. I also cant understand the sentiment of putting the boot into Sheens yet. Everything that they have touched since Ciraldo said no has been a win IMO and I cant understand how anyone could rationalise it otherwise.

I think Madge gave his all. His passion cannot be questioned. However his techniques and communication methods seemed to be outdated. I’m not being ego driven by not explaining more (just honouring the confidentiality of the conversation) but I can say confidently that there were times Madge’s way of communicating lost the dressing room and he then lost support from others.

Skippa13, Peter A, 851 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 429 / 1067
Share: