Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @888

Rationalising a Hastings / Klemmer swap this is what comes to mind:

- Tiges see Hastings as a 13 but he wants to play 7 so might as well get a trade out of it before he signs elsewhere and we are in desperate need of an impact prop.

- if Hastings goes hopefully Sheens / Benji have an organising 7 in their sights for 2024 (Moses or Williams maybe).

- if they can jag a high quality 7 then I don’t mind Brooks having the pressure off him and just being told to be an attacking, running 6 (if he is willing to embrace that role.

- hopefully they have a decent ball playing lock in mind who can also be a solid middle forward. Bateman maybe until Rua or Matamua can grow into the role.

- Moses / Williams and Brooks in the halves along with Api give us a decent spine for 3+ years until the next generation can develop (I believe Sheens sees some real quality in halves and hooker in our Juniors.

There is definitely talent at hooker that will be ready in a couple of years, the quality in the halves is further away than that.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @the-frog

Bonjour la personne.

Listen Very carefully I shall say zis only once.

I have read in my local journaux, that Monsieur Adam Doueihi is looking for 900,000 a saison. Choc and Surprendre was my first reaction. Surely such a boy must go to the Room of Mirrors and be truthful with oneself. 900,000 is ridicule for such a boy, but, I then realised he was talking in Liberian Dollars $LRD and 900,000 is only A$8586.90. Such a sacrifice fills my heart with great emotion and Bonheur.

Au revoir, The Frog

I think he means 900,000 Russian roubles.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@888)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @garry

- Tiges see Hastings as a 13 but he wants to play 7 so might as well get a trade out of it before he signs elsewhere and we are in desperate need of an impact prop.

- if Hastings goes hopefully Sheens / Benji have an organising 7 in their sights for 2024 (Moses or Williams maybe).

- if they can jag a high quality 7 then I don’t mind Brooks having the pressure off him and just being told to be an attacking, running 6 (if he is willing to embrace that role.

- hopefully they have a decent ball playing lock in mind who can also be a solid middle forward. Bateman maybe until Rua or Matamua can grow into the role.

- Moses / Williams and Brooks in the halves along with Api give us a decent spine for 3+ years until the next generation can develop (I believe Sheens sees some real quality in halves and hooker in our Juniors.

There is definitely talent at hooker that will be ready in a couple of years, the quality in the halves is further away than that.

That’ll work then. Api has 2-3 years in him and Brooks / Moses style combo will have 4-5. Gets us through with some time to mentor and not rush them, but also not block their path.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @garry

That’ll work then. Api has 2-3 years in him and Brooks / Moses style combo will have 4-5. Gets us through with some time to mentor and not rush them, but also not block their path.

I expect DeSilva will start to share the duties with Api sometime in 2024.

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@avocadoontoast that’s really honourable of you avo . I know he’s not your favourite, but to look past the disappointment, and past failures is a credit . 
I hope he proves us brooks backers right . If not I think this really is the last chance saloon . 
he might even lose me and Jedi . Maybe not Jedi lol

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@garry the Bateman signing could be one that looks like a master stroke . Or one we think about like Ryan Ohara . I think that’s the swing in potential outcomes . 
I also think if we get Klemmer we should sign Woods . I think they would bring a good energy to the team , grounded in a sense of in the case of Woods , a feeling of the prodigal son returning .

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @lestronge

@garry the Bateman signing could be one that looks like a master stroke . Or one we think about like Ryan Ohara . I think that’s the swing in potential outcomes . 
I also think if we get Klemmer we should sign Woods . I think they would bring a good energy to the team , grounded in a sense of in the case of Woods , a feeling of the prodigal son returning .

I agree with your comments on Bateman, he could go either way in my opinion but I am happy to give him a go as it will allow us to bring along Blore a little more slowly. I am far from convince about bringing Woods back.

One of the interesting things Sheens said to us when we spoke to him earlier in the year was about picking player up off the scrap heap and getting them back to their former form levels, he sees that as one of the reasons 2005 turned out the way it did.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

@avocadoontoast that’s really honourable of you avo . I know he’s not your favourite, but to look past the disappointment, and past failures is a credit . 
I hope he proves us brooks backers right . If not I think this really is the last chance saloon . 
he might even lose me and Jedi . Maybe not Jedi lol

thanks mate. I actually have nothing against Brooks at all, if anything I feel sorry for him spending his career at a club that hasn’t done right by him. I have doubts that he’ll recapture his old form but if anyone can do it it’s Sheens.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@garry I feel like Bateman has been really impressive in the WC. He’s everywhere, a busy player that’s always trying to do something. I think he’ll add another dimension to the team.

Tiger5150 and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@avocadoontoast I’m pretty much 90% confident sheens will make brooks look like a million bucks . I’m really really unsure if it will lead to wins though .
I can see 30-26 type games with us losing 15 odd of them . 
Im hopeful but very realistic . I can see a kid like Camroux coming in , in 25 who IMO isn’t as talented as brooks , and due to the strength of the roster looking like an absolute superstar. By then Brooks will be in England or the dolphins , and egg will most definitely be on my face . 
But hey , I died on the Ben Duckworth is an origin player hill when I was a kid , I might as well plant my flag and die on this one lol . 
plus I absolutely hate the bullying that’s happening around it , so it makes me more determined , almost irrationally so . 

Skippa13, Russtutty63, Tiger5150 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@garry it’s an interesting idea from sheens . But it IMO Its a bit of confirmation bias . 
Or like a pokies addict winning 5k jackpot after putting in 10k. 
No one ever talks about the L’s . Only the W’s. 
I think someone like David Fifita would better fill the mould . He’s an absolute superstar plodding along on the Gold Coast gravy train . 
I think a former Aus player , 31yo journey man prop isnt really in that mould. But I want woods to wear the 8 for Maggies , and play 10 off games off the bench for the tigers . 
absolutely nothing more . I’m not looking for NSW origin prop woods .

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@garry I feel like Bateman has been really impressive in the WC. He’s everywhere, a busy player that’s always trying to do something. I think he’ll add another dimension to the team.

Agreed, he has something that the rest of the pack doesnt have. Busy and quick for a 2RF, probing and asking questions of the defence. Good foil for the power of Papali'i on the other side. Both edges would have good passing games as well. Dare I say it........A Sheens type player.

Joel Helmes and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Joffa?

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Posted by: @tiger5150

Joffa?

I don’t think Joffa has the skills for 13. I wouldn’t mind us playing Bateman there and getting Frizell to play the other edge

888 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

@garry it’s an interesting idea from sheens . But it IMO Its a bit of confirmation bias . 
Or like a pokies addict winning 5k jackpot after putting in 10k. 
No one ever talks about the L’s . Only the W’s. 
I think someone like David Fifita would better fill the mould . He’s an absolute superstar plodding along on the Gold Coast gravy train . 
I think a former Aus player , 31yo journey man prop isnt really in that mould. But I want woods to wear the 8 for Maggies , and play 10 off games off the bench for the tigers . 
absolutely nothing more . I’m not looking for NSW origin prop woods .

There was an attempt to get Tamou to play for the Magpies in 23 to help with the development of the young forwards coming through, this is a role I could see Woods filling quite well.

ReplyQuote
Page 327 / 1067
Share: