Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @savvy

I know it’s a big IF?. But if Sheensy can sort out transfer fees and get him to come back over, George Williams would be the controlling halfback we need. His kicking game and organisational play is workmanlike. His tackle on Paulo on the line last night showed his fearlessness. I’d have any one of our 3 to play a running 6 with Bateman lock. 

I like it!

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Savvy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tigertownsfs I'm not particularly in for this half or that half but I do hope Sheens and, more importantly, Benji can get the players they want. And it appears Sheens wants pace and Benji wants Moses, Brown could be another he wants but I really don't know for sure. But if that is who they want they will have to not only sell the vision but make huge offers.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Can’t post it from my phone but DT reporting Klemmer/Hastings swap close to being done. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@declan)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball Admin

Newcastle and Wests Tigers are in deep discussions about an immediate potential player swap involving stars Jackson Hastings and David Klemmer.

The Knights are keen on landing Hastings after identifying the former Man of Steel to be their long-term no.7.

While the Tigers have been in talks about signing Klemmer since October. Now the two clubs are in negotiations about how they can make the respective deals work for both parties.

Newcastle originally set their eyes on securing another Wests Tigers half in Luke Brooks. But the Knights have since had a change of heart and view the competitive and on-ball nature of Hastings’ style of play as a perfect complement should they go ahead with plans to switch Kalyn Ponga into the halves.

The Ponga/Hastings combination with Jayden Brailey at hooker looms as a massive upgrade on what Newcastle fielded this year after they failed to replace Mitchell Pearce in the off-season. Brailey and Ponga also dealt with long-term injuries.

The Tigers have made it clear they don’t view Hastings as a half with the club wanting to play him at lock despite their two best performances of the season – wins against Parramatta and South Sydney – coming with Hastings wearing no.7. Three of the four Tigers wins came with Hastings at halfback.

Newcastle have long been reluctant to cut Klemmer free from the final year of his deal – which is worth about $850,000. But such is their need for a genuine half they would be willing to allow Klemmer to take up a multi-year contract at the Tigers if it means they can secure Hastings.

Newcastle are still well serviced up front with the likes of Origin duo Jacob/Daniel Saifiti plus new recruits Jack Hetherington and Adam Elliott.

Given the desire to partner Brooks and Adam Doueihi in the halves and the Tigers willingness to chase the likes of Cameron Munster and Mitchell Moses, Hastings long-term future at the Tigers is uncertain. He has one year left on his deal.

The Tigers are building a world class forward pack. They have already signed representative duo Api Koroisau and Isaiah Papali’i and are now close to landing Klemmer and Englishman John Batmen. It is understood Bateman’s partner – who he met in Canberra – has returned to Australia with their young child. Bateman fell out with the Raiders in his final season at the club in 2020. He is only halfway through a four year deal at Wigan. The Tigers already have the likes of Stefano Utoikamanu, Joe Ofahengaue, Shawn Blore and Alex Twal already on their books.

Klemmer is still only 28 and needs just six games to play 200 first grade matches.

The swap would be the second one for the Tigers after letting Tyrone Peachey go to Penrith in exchange for Charlie Staines.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Seen on twitter:

Last game -> Next game?
Tamou -> Klemmer

Simpkin -> Koroisau

Ofahengaue -> Utoikamanu

Freebairn -> Bateman

Tuilagi -> Papali’i

Brown -> Ofahengaue

888 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

If Hastings goes I’m not convinced Joffa is 13. I didn’t watch too much raiders when Bateman was there but from what I saw he seem comfortable as a ball player/link man and also as a runner. He looks like he could be a bit of a blend between Yeo and Radley (though unproven).

we have Blore and Matamua as 2RF/lock development players. It’s probably a little early to think Matamua can start at 13 in 2023 (he looked completely out of depth when he did play in 22) whereas Blore has had much more first grade and seems physically more capable to run lines and defend on the edge (his build is similar to Papi). 

at least we have much more competition for spots given we have let go the plodders and journeymen.

something like this seems like a good balance.

8. Klemmer

9. api

10. Steph 

11. papi

12. blore

13. bateman

14. Simpkin/Rua (api coverage)

15. Twal

16. Joffa

17. Pole

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @declan

Newcastle and Wests Tigers are in deep discussions about an immediate potential player swap involving stars Jackson Hastings and David Klemmer.

The Knights are keen on landing Hastings after identifying the former Man of Steel to be their long-term no.7.

While the Tigers have been in talks about signing Klemmer since October. Now the two clubs are in negotiations about how they can make the respective deals work for both parties.

Newcastle originally set their eyes on securing another Wests Tigers half in Luke Brooks. But the Knights have since had a change of heart and view the competitive and on-ball nature of Hastings’ style of play as a perfect complement should they go ahead with plans to switch Kalyn Ponga into the halves.

The Ponga/Hastings combination with Jayden Brailey at hooker looms as a massive upgrade on what Newcastle fielded this year after they failed to replace Mitchell Pearce in the off-season. Brailey and Ponga also dealt with long-term injuries.

The Tigers have made it clear they don’t view Hastings as a half with the club wanting to play him at lock despite their two best performances of the season – wins against Parramatta and South Sydney – coming with Hastings wearing no.7. Three of the four Tigers wins came with Hastings at halfback.

Newcastle have long been reluctant to cut Klemmer free from the final year of his deal – which is worth about $850,000. But such is their need for a genuine half they would be willing to allow Klemmer to take up a multi-year contract at the Tigers if it means they can secure Hastings.

Newcastle are still well serviced up front with the likes of Origin duo Jacob/Daniel Saifiti plus new recruits Jack Hetherington and Adam Elliott.

Given the desire to partner Brooks and Adam Doueihi in the halves and the Tigers willingness to chase the likes of Cameron Munster and Mitchell Moses, Hastings long-term future at the Tigers is uncertain. He has one year left on his deal.

The Tigers are building a world class forward pack. They have already signed representative duo Api Koroisau and Isaiah Papali’i and are now close to landing Klemmer and Englishman John Batmen. It is understood Bateman’s partner – who he met in Canberra – has returned to Australia with their young child. Bateman fell out with the Raiders in his final season at the club in 2020. He is only halfway through a four year deal at Wigan. The Tigers already have the likes of Stefano Utoikamanu, Joe Ofahengaue, Shawn Blore and Alex Twal already on their books.

Klemmer is still only 28 and needs just six games to play 200 first grade matches.

The swap would be the second one for the Tigers after letting Tyrone Peachey go to Penrith in exchange for Charlie Staines.

I think that story is an attempt from Newcastle to try and get us to release a half to get Klemmer.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@garry Probably has more truth to it than Brooks getting released purely being tigers can replace Hastings at 13 they don't have a 7 to replace Brooks. 

Also we don't know what Hastings is saying behind the scenes he may be telling Sheens I want to play 7 and Sheens is like no you are not. 

I'd say 90% chance Hastings and klemmer swap happens in the next 2 weeks

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@garry Probably has more truth to it than Brooks getting released purely being tigers can replace Hastings at 13 they don't have a 7 to replace Brooks. 

Also we don't know what Hastings is saying behind the scenes he may be telling Sheens I want to play 7 and Sheens is like no you are not. 

You don't have any reason for that 90% though. That is like me saying 90% chance that Avo will knock on your door professing his eternal love for you, like it could happen, but I don't have any evidence to support that it will.

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Yep, I have a feeling this will happen this week. Bateman to be announced to play lock as well.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

8. Klemmer

9. Api

10. Joe O

11. Blore

12. Papali’i 

13. Bateman

14. Utoikamanu

15. Twal

16. Pole

That’s top 8 potential.

ReplyQuote
(@hsvjones)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @helmesy

8. Klemmer

9. Api

10. Joe O

11. Blore

12. Papali’i 

13. Bateman

14. Utoikamanu

15. Twal

16. Pole

That’s top 8 potential.

Looks outstand and massive upgrade on this year.   

With England out of the WC we might hear if the Bateman rumour is true of not soon.   Fingers crossed

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @helmesy

8. Klemmer

9. Api

10. Joe O

11. Blore

12. Papali’i 

13. Bateman

14. Utoikamanu

15. Twal

16. Pole

That’s top 8 potential.

yeah I think you are right. Starting both klemmer and Steph means 2nd rotation lacks punch. Next question is where do the fit woods?

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@garry as I have said consistently it won't be Brooks going to Newcastle that is for sure mate

we need klemmer a deal will be done

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

@garry as I have said consistently it won't be Brooks going to Newcastle that is for sure mate

we need klemmer a deal will be done

Mate you say an awful lot of things, some of them have to be eventually true :p

Tiger5150 and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 325 / 941
Share: