Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

What if Will Smith was our only signing?

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

Hastings to battle on at Wests Tigers
By Jasper Bruce
Updated November 9 2022 - 10:43am, first published 10:38am

Coach Tim Sheens has shot down claims Jackson Hastings is on the outer at Wests Tigers, suggesting the former Man of Steel is likely to start the season at lock rather than in his preferred position of halfback.

Reports emerged last week that Hastings could be on his way out of the Tigers, but Sheens insisted the player is going nowhere.

Sheens has transitioned from leading football performance to head coach at the Tigers - who have failed in attempts to sign Cameron Ciraldo and lure ex-player Todd Payten from North Queensland - a position Benji Marshall will inherit in 2025.

One major point of order for Tigers' only premiership-winning coach will be solving the halves dilemma with which interim boss Brett Kimmorley grappled last season.

Hastings, Luke Brooks and Adam Doueihi are all playmakers by trade and will be vying for two spots in the halves.

One thing is for certain: Hastings and Brooks will be a part of Sheens' plans, despite reports claiming either or both could seek a release from their Tigers contract.

"(Hastings) is contracted. He will be here," Sheens told AAP.

"If I have my say, Luke Brooks will be playing halfback here next year."

Sheens will not confirm his spine for round one until senior players return to training after Christmas but is a fan of Hastings as a lock.

It was Sheens who suggested Kimmorley move Hastings to the middle late last season, leaving Doueihi at five-eighth and Brooks at halfback.

In that combination's three games together, the Tigers defeated Brisbane - who were in the top four at the time - and came close to upsetting premiership heavyweights Penrith and North Queensland.

"Jackson is an organiser. He sees the game, he works hard in the middle," Sheens said.

"We got Adam back (from injury) around that time and with Brooks on the other side, the spine worked pretty well for about three games..

"We don't know (how the spine will look next season) but they were scoring an average of 24 points over those three games that they played.

"I'm not getting carried away with it but they did a good job for a group that had only played a handful of games together."

New assistant coaches Marshall and Robbie Farah will take a hands-on role with the spine, with the former already working with the younger Tigers who are back at training.

"(Marshall) is highly involved. I've been very impressed with him," Sheens said.

Farah has not yet returned to Concord following a stint on Lebanon's World Cup staff but both club legends have won Sheens over.

"They're being schooled in offence and defence, preparation, presentation of what they need to get across to the players," Sheens said.

"They've handled it really well."

Aside from his duties with the playing group, Marshall will have a key role in identifying long-term signings, given his impending switch to head coach.

"We won't be signing anyone that goes into Benji's timeframe that he doesn't agree with," Sheens said.

Australian Associated Press

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

What I get from that article is Hastings will definitely be here for 2023.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

That, and looks more and more likely Brooks too. It also looks like we're not strengthening our forward pack.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

@helmesy he wasn’t as insistent on Brooks as Hastings. "If I have my say" isn't guaranteeing Brooks will be here.

Regardless if we don’t improve our middles dramatically we’ll be bottom 4.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@avocadoontoast I think we’ll all become a little more anxious as time passes but new signings for 2023 and/or 2024 will probably take a little longer because ‘the cap’ is unknown right now. Once that’s set should see quite a bit happening across the league.

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

Posted by: @helmesy

That, and looks more and more likely Brooks too. It also looks like we're not strengthening our forward pack.

Not sure about that. Sheens has been pretty open that he expects plenty of movement in terms of '23 and '24 over the next few months. 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Not sure about that. Sheens has been pretty open that he expects plenty of movement in terms of '23 and '24 over the next few months. 

Time will tell. Certainly hasn’t been much going on in November so far.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

• I’ve got as much idea as anyone what may or may not be happening in regards recruitment right now, and that’s not much. But what I take out of that article is Sheens wants those guys next season but beyond that is up to Benji. So, if any major signings in the halves are to happen it’ll be for 2024 and beyond so Benji has them to work with and establish some of his football philosophy with them. It would appear to me the club will offer big coin for the likes of Moses, maybe Brown too once the ‘cap’ is known. They also might have a lash at a forward, who knows. I’d say one of the reasons Klemmer has yet to sign anywhere is his manager is waiting to see if any better offers come after the CBA is set. Would seem unlikely but if he can get another $100,000 or so and the manager can get 5 or 10 grand more might as well wait and see. 

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @russtutty63

• I’ve got as much idea as anyone what may or may not be happening in regards recruitment right now, and that’s not much. But what I take out of that article is Sheens wants those guys next season but beyond that is up to Benji. So, if any major signings in the halves are to happen it’ll be for 2024 and beyond so Benji has them to work with and establish some of his football philosophy with them. It would appear to me the club will offer big coin for the likes of Moses, maybe Brown too once the ‘cap’ is known. They also might have a lash at a forward, who knows. I’d say one of the reasons Klemmer has yet to sign anywhere is his manager is waiting to see if any better offers come after the CBA is set. Would seem unlikely but if he can get another $100,000 or so and the manager can get 5 or 10 grand more might as well wait and see. 

I can see the logic in this. I would do that too if I was Klemmer. On the flip side, Brooks is due to front for training next Monday and you'd have to think Klemmer and Brooks would want their futures sorted before they start training for 2023.

There's no clearer solution IMO than Klemmer and Brooks swapping clubs. WT need to prioritise their forward stocks for once!

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

if you get a subsidised Thomson from dogs it fills a gap for us for 2023 and 2024 potentially. If we got Bateman too this would also assist. 

Cryptic what Sheens was saying but would seem it will be Marshall's call from 2025 onwards and Sheens doesn't want to burden him with Brooks Hastings or douhie. 

Either way looks like all 3 will be here for 2023 at least and Moses looks like a big chance for 2024

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

if you get a subsidised Thomson from dogs it fills a gap for us for 2023 and 2024 potentially. If we got Bateman too this would also assist. 

Cryptic what Sheens was saying but would seem it will be Marshall's call from 2025 onwards and Sheens doesn't want to burden him with Brooks Hastings or douhie. 

Either way looks like all 3 will be here for 2023 at least and Moses looks like a big chance for 2024

Benji has had final day on every signing we have made since Tim and Benji took over. Only signings Benji has approved go into 2025

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @dirty-reds

We all see what we want to see

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

@mickb I tend to agree with Garry in regards to Klemmer. He’d offer a little bit more in the middle but not a great deal in terms of quick play the balls etc. I’d prefer Royce Hunt who can bend the line but he’s under contract for 2023 & as the Sharks aren’t flush with depth in the props I can see him extending over there. Maybe Nathan Brown is more likely to come over but all guess work right now.

Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)

IF we miss out on Klemmer, then a subsidised Thompson would be ok. He'd walk right into the starting lineup.

Joel Helmes and Westy81 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 315 / 1067
Share: