Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @russtutty63

Anyone have thoughts on the NRL Collective Bargaining Agreement talks and what effect it has in contract negotiations right now? 

Not specifically, but I can see the argument around remuneration for the players at the lower end of the pay scale. On a broader scale, I think the NRL is run too much like a business, it seems to have disconnected itself from the fans of the game, the real bread and butter people that keep it going.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Ellery Hanley has offered a piece of advice to John Bateman ahead of his impending return to the NRL. Bateman is being heavily linked with a move to Wests Tigers and refused to discuss his future at a press conference last week.

"Hanley played for Balmain Tigers in the mid-Nineties before they later merged with Western Suburbs to form Wests Tigers. The Tigers finished bottom of the NRL table this season, and Hanley said of Bateman’s potential switch there: “There might be family reasons for John wanting to go back and play in Australia.

“I believe his girlfriend is Australian, but it will take more than John Bateman to get Wests Tigers out of trouble. As a team, they have been poor for a number of years now and I think John, if he does go there, will need plenty of support. You only have to look at Jackson Hastings there this season – he couldn’t do it on his own there and they really need a big shake-up.

“Also, John has been out there before and everyone in Australia knows what he can do – so he will be a marked man. He was very good for Canberra Raiders, but how successful he will be at Wests Tigers really depends on who he is surrounded by.”

Hanley is a big fan of Bateman, saying: “Before John went to Canberra, I thought he was outstanding. At Canberra, he was excellent as well but, when he came back to Wigan, he will have an honest assessment about himself.

“His form probably wasn’t as good as what it was before he went to Australia. Crucially, however, I still think the best is yet to come from John – as long as he’s surrounded by the right personnel.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ellery-hanleys-warning-john-bateman-25454486?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @helmesy

Ellery Hanley has offered a piece of advice to John Bateman ahead of his impending return to the NRL. Bateman is being heavily linked with a move to Wests Tigers and refused to discuss his future at a press conference last week.

"Hanley played for Balmain Tigers in the mid-Nineties before they later merged with Western Suburbs to form Wests Tigers. The Tigers finished bottom of the NRL table this season, and Hanley said of Bateman’s potential switch there: “There might be family reasons for John wanting to go back and play in Australia.

“I believe his girlfriend is Australian, but it will take more than John Bateman to get Wests Tigers out of trouble. As a team, they have been poor for a number of years now and I think John, if he does go there, will need plenty of support. You only have to look at Jackson Hastings there this season – he couldn’t do it on his own there and they really need a big shake-up.

“Also, John has been out there before and everyone in Australia knows what he can do – so he will be a marked man. He was very good for Canberra Raiders, but how successful he will be at Wests Tigers really depends on who he is surrounded by.”

Hanley is a big fan of Bateman, saying: “Before John went to Canberra, I thought he was outstanding. At Canberra, he was excellent as well but, when he came back to Wigan, he will have an honest assessment about himself.

“His form probably wasn’t as good as what it was before he went to Australia. Crucially, however, I still think the best is yet to come from John – as long as he’s surrounded by the right personnel.”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/ellery-hanleys-warning-john-bateman-25454486?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Thanks for your support Ellery 😆😵‍💫😏

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@helmesy Yes, would be good to see minimum salaries raised. But I was thinking if the "cap" is to increase wouldn't it be advantageous for players to wait before committing? Unless, of course, any offer that comes their way is better than they expected to receive. I was thinking that if the "cap" rises to $10.4 mill in 2024 (might be next year, not sure) the Tigers would surely be in a good position to have a lash at a couple of players, not just one. I guess it'd also mean a player like Mitchell Moses could sit back and wait a bit longer as the Eels would be able to offer him substantially more than they currently are paying him. Seeing as he would be in reasonably high demand it he could sit back and watch the offers roll in.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

He’s not wrong

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tigertownsfs

He’s not wrong

Well except for the incredibly high turnover of players, 2 incoming high-level players and a new coaching regime. that sounds like at least the start of a big shake up.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @garry
Posted by: @tigertownsfs

He’s not wrong

Well except for the incredibly high turnover of players, 2 incoming high-level players and a new coaching regime. that sounds like at least the start of a big shake up.

That’s a really big shake up in anyones language!

Seriously, this narrative that exists in the game that quality players should only go to good teams is so disappointing. It’s especially disappointing when a guy who played for both foundation clubs sings off this hymn sheet 😡

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

He tells the truth

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@helmesy the black pearl's one of the greats, that 1988 run with the Tigers sensational

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

One of the most naturally gifted players ever. I don’t agree with him here though.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

@helmesy For a professional sportsmen to overcome the greatest obstacles is the true test of their abilities. The greater the challenge, the greater the reward, at least intrinsically you’d think. Most these days seem to choose paths where success is almost guaranteed and the narrative is all the worse for it.

ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @russtutty63

@helmesy For a professional sportsmen to overcome the greatest obstacles is the true test of their abilities. The greater the challenge, the greater the reward, at least intrinsically you’d think. Most these days seem to choose paths where success is almost guaranteed and the narrative is all the worse for it.

Dare I say it - bring in a draft system

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

The salary cap isn’t properly distributing the talent adequately, so yes it should be looked at.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

The salary cap isn’t properly distributing the talent adequately, so yes it should be looked at.

I have no interest in a draft in the NRL.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

@helmesy ideally a player’s value in the cap would be based upon his market value. Surely the NRL could set up a portal where teams put in their best offer for a free agent player. For example, when player X is off contract, the Tigers bid $800k, the Eels $700k and the Roosters $600k. Player X can choose whichever contract he likes, but the value on the cap will be the average of the offers higher than and/or equal to the offer accepted. In this example, if player X wanted to accept unders to play for the Roosters, the Roosters would pay him $600k, but the value on the cap would be $700k (the average of the three offers). If player X accepted the Tiger’s offer the value on the cap would be $800k as there are no higher offers. There would be no benefit to clubs making/arranging illegal payments outside the cap because they won’t be able to get players for a below market value in the cap. You’d need to have some rules for the portal to prevent value manipulation like a limited number of bids, any bid can be accepted by a player, standardised contracts, rules for contract offers of different lengths etc, but I am sure something could be done along these lines IF the will was there. 

However, I think the bigger issue that is overlooked is the players’ association. Do you think it would allow a proposal that ends up in removing illegal payments to players so the overall payments to players reduce? I don’t. 

Another factor is it’s only a few of the same struggling clubs and fans who complain about this. The wealthy clubs don’t care because it benefits them, and the NRL certainly doesn’t want to strictly enforce the cap for fear of what it might find and create a controversy for the game.  So I just don’t see any change happening. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 314 / 1067
Share: