Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @lestronge

@helmesy conspiracy hat on here . Could we be looking at Hastings lock , Laurie , AD halves , and Staines at the back ?

That set up terrifies me defensively

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

@helmesy Laurie at the back can’t happen again next year IMO. To me his defence one on one and courage are amazing , but his positional play , and organisational skills at the back are not to first grade standard . And IMO it contributes to why guys find themselves isolated so often especially on the edges. But I very much can see him going alright in the line . At the very least I’m interested in how it would look .

He’s not a career fullback imo.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

@helmesy Laurie at the back can’t happen again next year IMO. To me his defence one on one and courage are amazing , but his positional play , and organisational skills at the back are not to first grade standard . And IMO it contributes to why guys find themselves isolated so often especially on the edges. But I very much can see him going alright in the line . At the very least I’m interested in how it would look .

I disagree with your point about Lauries positional play in defence.....kinda....

I agree that it is totally rubbish and cost us many tries last year, where I disagree is that it isnt Laurie. It was clearly a coaching direction for Laurie to defend in the line, on our line. Its a "modern" tactic but it does my head in and is so easy to pick apart as it was many times last year. It comes from the way Melbourne defended with Billy Slater but the thing is Slater was so good, so fast and had such a good footy brain, he could cover up. Most cant.

Im hoping that Sheens will go back to a more traditional role for whoever is fullback in defence next year.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

@garry it was said very recently . Just not by you lol

defensively that would keep me up at night if I was benji or sheens . 

I know, I just didn't want that opinion attributed to me lol

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger5150

I disagree with your point about Lauries positional play in defence.....kinda....

I agree that it is totally rubbish and cost us many tries last year, where I disagree is that it isnt Laurie. It was clearly a coaching direction for Laurie to defend in the line, on our line. Its a "modern" tactic but it does my head in and is so easy to pick apart as it was many times last year. It comes from the way Melbourne defended with Billy Slater but the thing is Slater was so good, so fast and had such a good footy brain, he could cover up. Most cant.

Im hoping that Sheens will go back to a more traditional role for whoever is fullback in defence next year.

Our fullback won't be defending in the front line next year.

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tiger5150 yea and no . Whilst I agree it’s very dependant on the engine of the man playing in the 1 , soo many times the reason he was out of position had very little to do with tackling in the line , but rather his reading of the game , and numbers etc , tracking behind the line , in line with the ball . So many times I’d watch him track behind the line , and the ball would be basically on the left side , and he would be tracking where the goal posts were , needing Scotty to beam him up to ever have any chance of getting to a kick . The tactic is definitely risky at best , downright negligent at worst , no doubt , but his execution just was off , and most teams crucified us for this . 
It seems like I’m criticising him to the max , but it’s more an appeal to accept that fullbacks HAVE to have a foundation of the billy slater thing in 2022 . It’s extremely high standards and not exactly fair . 
Even Joseph Sualli got owned against England on the weekend . 
but he could a Lattrell type exception to the rule . So who knows . 
God we were dumb to let Paps go . Taylor ……. Anyways lol

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@lestronge Good points, bag Brooks in attack or communication but one thing you can't bag him for is defence. That is the one area Douhie does not put in for a big body disgraceful

ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@celtic_tiger AD doesn’t miss tackles he’s not there to make in the first place . Ie. The stat isn’t recorded for simply a runner going through untouched . AD defensively is disgusting for a guy who played fullback as recently as 18 months ago , and is 100kg . Brooks and AD defensively are chalk and cheese . And honestly it’s offensive and insulting to everyone’s intelligence to imply that , this isn’t the case . Say what you will in attack , controlling the team , kicking , whatever .

Offensive? Steady on there champ we’re all entitled to our opinion and all I have pointed out is stats which are 100% facts and not subjective. To say that’s because players run through AD untouched is just a bizarre suggestion. I did say that AD had a couple of nightmare games in defence towards the end of the season and but Brooks also was given a bath by Nanai up in Townsville with one particular really ordinary defensive effort which led to a try.

ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @garry

@tiger-symmetry  I think I explained myself pretty well I thought . I’m more alluding to the idea , which I continuously read on here , Facebook, the other forum , that Hastings is a galvanising force to whip all these soft tigers into something . And to more of a degree , this idea that he should be at half , where defensively and creatively I really don’t see it . I see it , if it’s 2015 and Blake green is your half , but not in this new era of vlandys ball . Where’s dynamic half who can get on the outside is an absolute must . 
even the podcast had large portions of it, talking about how AD and Hastings should be our halves . 
this isn’t to say Hastings is a bad footballer . Actually I think at 13 he could easily play origin , in a winning footy team, but more to the idea that he’s a 2022 half . I really don’t see it . And I’m pushing back on how a guy who at times can be alienating by his very nature , despite being a great bloke , can be a galvanising force to a team structure . Point is he’s an omega in a team structure . That’s rarely the person to galvanise a team behind . And definitely by his very nature of being comfortable on the edges of a social dynamic like a team, generally leads to conflict with alpha types , and beta types . I identify completely with everything he says and his attitude, and his actions . I’m not questioning his desire , buy in , ability to engage fans , quality as a human , none of it . What I’m questioning is , whether 29 other blokes with strong personality types will get behind it . 
The only reason someone like Kobe Bryant or MJ could be such huge jerks, and lead like that from the edges , is because they were so much better than everyone else

I don't know if I have ever called for Hastings and Ad combo. lol

At this point I would 100% keep Brooks.

We haven’t seen a Hastings AD combo but we have seen a Brooks Hastings combo and it didn’t work.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@mickb I think frizell will be a target separate to klemmer coming.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @celtic_tiger

@tiger-symmetry  I think I explained myself pretty well I thought . I’m more alluding to the idea , which I continuously read on here , Facebook, the other forum , that Hastings is a galvanising force to whip all these soft tigers into something . And to more of a degree , this idea that he should be at half , where defensively and creatively I really don’t see it . I see it , if it’s 2015 and Blake green is your half , but not in this new era of vlandys ball . Where’s dynamic half who can get on the outside is an absolute must . 
even the podcast had large portions of it, talking about how AD and Hastings should be our halves . 
this isn’t to say Hastings is a bad footballer . Actually I think at 13 he could easily play origin , in a winning footy team, but more to the idea that he’s a 2022 half . I really don’t see it . And I’m pushing back on how a guy who at times can be alienating by his very nature , despite being a great bloke , can be a galvanising force to a team structure . Point is he’s an omega in a team structure . That’s rarely the person to galvanise a team behind . And definitely by his very nature of being comfortable on the edges of a social dynamic like a team, generally leads to conflict with alpha types , and beta types . I identify completely with everything he says and his attitude, and his actions . I’m not questioning his desire , buy in , ability to engage fans , quality as a human , none of it . What I’m questioning is , whether 29 other blokes with strong personality types will get behind it . 
The only reason someone like Kobe Bryant or MJ could be such huge jerks, and lead like that from the edges , is because they were so much better than everyone else

We haven’t seen a Hastings AD combo but we have seen a Brooks Hastings combo and it didn’t work.

I don't see any pairing of 2 of Hastings/ Brooks/ AD working. They all have too many weaknesses as halves.

Yanni and lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @celtic_tiger

I don't see any pairing of 2 of Hastings/ Brooks/ AD working. They all have too many weaknesses as halves.

This may be true but unfortunately we have no realistic chance of recruiting anyone better so we need to fashion some kind of functioning halves pairing out of what we have.

lestronge reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

One of the best games all year was the cowboys game all three played 

13 Hastings

7 Brooks

6 Douhie

Tiger_Alex, lestronge, Frullens and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
MOMO-AMP-MEDO
(@momo-amp-medo)
Junior Pathways

@helmesy you know what …. it may be left field but I wouldn’t mind picking up Pearce for couple of years until some of our junior halves are ready.

Mike, lestronge, Garry and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @momo-amp-medo

@helmesy you know what …. it may be left field but I wouldn’t mind picking up Pearce for couple of years until some of our junior halves are ready.

With Sheens in charge anything could on the cards.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Snake and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 260 / 1067
Share: