Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

It’s a slow news week so I wouldn’t be running with the Rothfield narrative too confidently.The article is about as generalised and factless as it gets.More Rothfield rumour mongering.

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I’m sorry but I really don’t get the Hastings love affair , many on here accused me in the past of having for brooks . 
his first contact is really bad at attackers changing direction , his anticipation is poor in defence as well . He’s slow and his long kicking game , IMO , reminds me of when movie stars play soccer players in movies . Ie looks showy for the cameras but goes no where. 
His game management everyone talks about , actually at times meant we turned it inside to a Alex Twal type for a dead Hitup, instead of spinning it wide . To be fair that could also be game plan stuff as well . So I’m probably being harsh . 
he doesn’t beat his man one on one (when playing at half ) , although he does get in behind the ruck very well when playing at lock . 
And here is the big one . I’m not 💯 convinced he IS captain material . Or the leader people on here are convinced he is . He says all the right things and is probably right when he calls out the nofa types for bludging and being a mug lair , but is that really a galvanising force to get behind . And the reason I personally can say this , is because I also am not afraid to call people out , am a hard worker, etc .  But as I get older I know I’m not a leader , and I also know that my actions have lead to more rifts in teams , despite being right , and having the moral high ground/ best intentions. Hastings reminds me of myself (relax  lI mean just personality wise) and this new generation , that in your face type style does not compute with them . 
I dunno is all I’m saying . In the UK they’re all from impoverished areas and most players are Hard men who come from hard areas. 
here whilst most nrl players are from middle to lower class areas, many have been backslapped and coddled since they were 15,and because of the cult of personality a football player here can have , even playing schoolboys , the culture is completely different . It more resembles an American sport like nba or nrl than super league . 
I guess does a great leader in SL equate to a great leader in NRL . I’m not sure , especially when they don’t mince thier words . 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@lestronge good post, interesting Newcastle are not making any plays for Hastings as a 7, they probably see him as a 13 like Sheens does

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @mike

I doubt you’ll get anyone better while Brooks is here. That’s the point.

IMO thats ridiculous. So you sack your best player in a position to attract someone better?

Forever 9th reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @lestronge

I’m sorry but I really don’t get the Hastings love affair , many on here accused me in the past of having for brooks . 
his first contact is really bad at attackers changing direction , his anticipation is poor in defence as well . He’s slow and his long kicking game , IMO , reminds me of when movie stars play soccer players in movies . Ie looks showy for the cameras but goes no where. 
His game management everyone talks about , actually at times meant we turned it inside to a Alex Twal type for a dead Hitup, instead of spinning it wide . To be fair that could also be game plan stuff as well . So I’m probably being harsh . 
he doesn’t beat his man one on one (when playing at half ) , although he does get in behind the ruck very well when playing at lock . 
And here is the big one . I’m not 💯 convinced he IS captain material . Or the leader people on here are convinced he is . He says all the right things and is probably right when he calls out the nofa types for bludging and being a mug lair , but is that really a galvanising force to get behind . And the reason I personally can say this , is because I also am not afraid to call people out , am a hard worker, etc .  But as I get older I know I’m not a leader , and I also know that my actions have lead to more rifts in teams , despite being right , and having the moral high ground/ best intentions. Hastings reminds me of myself (relax  lI mean just personality wise) and this new generation , that in your face type style does not compute with them . 
I dunno is all I’m saying . In the UK they’re all from impoverished areas and most players are Hard men who come from hard areas. 
here whilst most nrl players are from middle to lower class areas, many have been backslapped and coddled since they were 15,and because of the cult of personality a football player here can have , even playing schoolboys , the culture is completely different . It more resembles an American sport like nba or nrl than super league . 
I guess does a great leader in SL equate to a great leader in NRL . I’m not sure , especially when they don’t mince thier words . 

Really good post Lestronge. agreee.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @tiger5150

IMO thats ridiculous. So you sack your best player in a position to attract someone better?

Best player, that’s a stretch. But even if he was, absolutely yes. After several years of failure something needs to change and it starts with Brooks. Just about the whole Rugby League community knows it.

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

We did it with our coach.

Maybe we sack Brooks, in hope of getting Moses, miss out, then Benji comes out of retirement appoints himself to play 7 😆 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Frullens

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Best player, that’s a stretch. But even if he was, absolutely yes. After several years of failure something needs to change and it starts with Brooks. Just about the whole Rugby League community knows it.

Best player in a position. IMO best 6 in our club, IMO best kicking game, fastest running game, better (but substandard) passing game than AD.

ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Best player in a position. IMO best 6 in our club, IMO best kicking game, fastest running game, better (but substandard) passing game than AD.

With the greatest respect this is exactly the type of revisionism which we see annually regarding Brooks and is one of the principal reasons we are where we are at this point.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

@lestronge I really don’t understand what you’re driving at in regards to Jackson’s credentials as a leader and a captain.To me it was clearly evident who was running the show and who demanded the ball.Just consult the stats.

As far as I’m concerned nobody in the Wests Tigers as it stands atm,has the vision or the temperament to lead the side around the park other than Hastings.Perhaps Api??One might have made the argument for Adam Douehi,but I believe he has to become a little more team oriented and a little less selfish(without detracting from his obvious talent)before he’s considered.Jackson Hastings keeps a cool head under pressure and plays to service the team.After his injury the team was sadly and completely bereft of leadership and execution.In my opinion we avoid the wooden spoon if Jacko is up and running,even with the horror injury list.True,he is not fleet of foot but he’s spritely between the ears and is forever making his presence felt and trying to win for the full 80 minute compliment.There is a definite contagion to that.

As a communicator he does say all the right things and this is where in my opinion he really excels,and surely that’s a positive.I was just a little baffled by your comments as I see him in a completely different light to you.Absolute captain material.

Tiger5150, hsvjones, Mike and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @celtic_tiger

With the greatest respect this is exactly the type of revisionism which we see annually regarding Brooks and is one of the principal reasons we are where we are at this point.

I return that respect to you CT and ask, which of our prospective 6's has a better all round kicking game? Which of the prospective 6's has the fastest running game and best defence?

Brooks has many shortcomings, he is not a great player and we have invested many years of faith into him without a payoff. Also , he remains our best option at 6 and top 2 at 7 which is telling of our club. Two things can be true at once.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

@lestronge I really don’t understand what you’re driving at in regards to Jackson’s credentials as a leader and a captain.To me it was clearly evident who was running the show and who demanded the ball.Just consult the stats.

As far as I’m concerned nobody in the Wests Tigers as it stands atm,has the vision or the temperament to lead the side around the park other than Hastings.Perhaps Api??One might have made the argument for Adam Douehi,but I believe he has to become a little more team oriented and a little less selfish(without detracting from his obvious talent)before he’s considered.Jackson Hastings keeps a cool head under pressure and plays to service the team.After his injury the team was sadly and completely bereft of leadership and execution.In my opinion we avoid the wooden spoon if Jacko is up and running,even with the horror injury list.True,he is not fleet of foot but he’s spritely between the ears and is forever making his presence felt and trying to win for the full 80 minute compliment.There is a definite contagion to that.

As a communicator he does say all the right things and this is where in my opinion he really excels,and surely that’s a positive.I was just a little baffled by your comments as I see him in a completely different light to you.Absolute captain material.

I get what @lestronge ( I think) is saying with regards Hastings as Captain. Im not sure I would have him as Captain, in fact my first instinct would be NOT to have him as Captain but the lack of suitable alternatives forces his consideration. I wouldnt have him as Captain, however his presence in the team would always have him as a leader for the reasons you have given.

Hastings has a long history of not getting on with teammates. He has done enough even a the Tigers (calling Nofo out) for me to see where this comes from. Hastings himself has discussed in interviews this aspect of his personality. Your captain needs to be a figure that draws people together not polarising them and for this reason IMO he would not be my choiec as Captain despite the fact he would be close to first picked in my team.

Having said that, Im not sure who I would have as Captain. Joffa would be up there, AD a maybe. To be honest, it doesnt matter what you , I or Lestronge think or say, in these situations if you spend a week with a  team you can usually pick the leader out. I could be completely wrong and team might love him and that case he is the obvious choice......but...

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

It’s a slow news week so I wouldn’t be running with the Rothfield narrative too confidently.The article is about as generalised and factless as it gets.More Rothfield rumour mongering.

you might be well be right but he was pretty sure of himself on BSB again this morning

https://www.skyracing.com.au/listen/podcast/sky-sports-Radios-Big-Sports-breakfast

"Newcastle are desperate for a halfback."

FWIW Jake Clifford has been linked to Hull FC in the past 24 hours

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/hull-fc-make-biggest-call-7706523

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I get what @lestronge ( I think) is saying with regards Hastings as Captain. Im not sure I would have him as Captain, in fact my first instinct would be NOT to have him as Captain but the lack of suitable alternatives forces his consideration. I wouldnt have him as Captain, however his presence in the team would always have him as a leader for the reasons you have given.

Hastings has a long history of not getting on with teammates. He has done enough even a the Tigers (calling Nofo out) for me to see where this comes from. Hastings himself has discussed in interviews this aspect of his personality. Your captain needs to be a figure that draws people together not polarising them and for this reason IMO he would not be my choiec as Captain despite the fact he would be close to first picked in my team.

Having said that, Im not sure who I would have as Captain. Joffa would be up there, AD a maybe. To be honest, it doesnt matter what you , I or Lestronge think or say, in these situations if you spend a week with a  team you can usually pick the leader out. I could be completely wrong and team might love him and that case he is the obvious choice......but...

True 5150,you’re right in concluding that our opinions matter little.Ultimately it will be Sheens and the inner sanctum making the call.In reference to Hastings having a long history of not getting on with teammates I think that is somewhat off the mark.Sure he had the much publicised run-in with DCE at Manly but that can be blamed on his youth and inexperience.He stepped on the wrong toes and very publicly paid a price.He said that he had a lot of growing up to do,and took measures to redress the situation.I dare say he’s done a fine job.Ive seen no evidence of his being a divisive figure at WTs.On the field I maintain he has been a unifying force.Off the field he’s been generous,funny,and exemplary.You guys are absolutely entitled to your viewpoint,that is the great nature of the Podcast Forum,but I can’t help thinking you’re searching for the phantom negatives rather than embracing what is blindingly obvious.Jackson Hastings (c) haha!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 Plus 2023 you strengthen an opposition team by giving them a 7 

Let him go in 2024 we might get moses or dylan brown great but we can't get any better players in 2023 so don't make Newcastle stronger

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 255 / 1067
Share: