Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Newcastle will be getting really desperate, if we can frontload Brooks 2023 with the nofo and gildart money and replace with Madden this hit on our 2023 cap will be manageable.
What we won't have is depth if we get injuries to Hastings or douhie etc

Think we might be able to play hardball with Newcastle around brooks and make them pay 700k of his 2023 salary and if we can frontload say 200k then the hit on Brooks salary for 2023 is about 200k (plus whatever we sign Madden for say 250k) so all up 500k

Thought dragons could even look at hunt to 9 and Brooks at 7 potentially

The moves on Nofa and Gildart are linked to Brooks as you suggest. Whatever we save on these 2022 loans is going to be passed to Brooks on his way out.

I'd also suggest the Brooks injury is a smokescreen. If you were in Sheens position you'd want to get another look at Madden before he reaches the end of his contract.

I think the Dolphins will still make a play for Brooks. They can't start next year with Sean O'Sullivan. He is not a first grader?

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@mickb I don't think Brooks injury is a smokescreen, I think he may be back for Roosters game especially given Hastings injury. 

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

The mole: Sheens' big call

The wily old fox Tim Sheens has pretty much left Brett Kimmorley to his own devices since he took over the reins at the Tigers.

But one move Sheens did suggest was shifting halfback Jackson Hastings to lock - and what a success it has been.

The Tigers have averaged 24 points per game since Hastings became a middle forward and the versatile former Rooster and Sea Eagle was superb in the upset win over Brisbane.

Sadly, nothing is easy when you're a Tigers fan - and Hastings was the victim of a shocking tacklethat resulted in a broken leg late in the win and he is out for the rest of the year.

The big positive for the Tigers was the form of halfback Jock Madden, a late replacement for the enigmatic Luke Brooks.

Don't be surprised if Brooks is granted a release over the summer and Madden is given his chance on a permanent basis in 2023.

Let’s hope so. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
 Wiz
(@wiz)
Junior Pathways

As this is from “The Mole”, also Sheens’ mate, I suspect it has some legs. Just like when it came out in the press that the WTs needed 10 points by the bye round prior to Madge being sacked. You just don’t say that unless there’s an agenda. I suspect this could also be “Shifty” Sheens setting the scene for a Brooks’ off-season departure. 

ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@wiz Brooks and Noffo need to be moved on ,out with the old in with the new … in the paper today Noffo says he went to the Storm so he can play finals footy well IMO he can stay there no room in the new Tigers DNA for Prima Dona’s !

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@avocadoontoast I reserve my views on Madden but do see an upside , it’s how he goes week in week out that will determine if he is a keeper .

lestronge and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

The Mole says Sheens suggested shifting Hastings to lock, even though Tigers made pretty clear comments about considering Hastings as likely to play lock when they signed him.

I think the only thing that stopped Hastings playing lock earlier was the ACL injury to Doueihi, which forced Hastings the the halves, then he got suspended, then we won two close ones when he came back (and were horrendous with Brooks/Madden combo). So with Doueihi still not fit and Hastings proving a better option, he got stuck in halves.

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Previously I wasn't a fan of re-signing Madden. But I can see clear upside in his play now, and he did some really good attacking moves on Saturday. His short kicking game is also a positive feature and well ahead of Brooks'.

I guess the proof will be in the coming weeks when there is no Hastings to organise, so we'll see just how good an organising half Madden is. That role clearly beyond the abilities of Brooks...

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Wests Tigers centre Oliver Gildart will join the Sydney Roosters on loan for the remainder of the 2022 NRL season.

The English International will link up with the Roosters today and return to Wests Tigers for 2023 pre-season training.

Gildart injured his calf in May and has since been playing with the club’s NSW Cup team, Western Suburbs Magpies.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says it’s a good opportunity for Gildart and the club.

“This works for Oliver, and it works for us as well.  So strategically, it makes sense.

Oliver will return to us after this short loan and begin preparing for 2023.”

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2022/08/01/gildart-to-join-roosters/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Posted by: @helmesy

Wests Tigers centre Oliver Gildart will join the Sydney Roosters on loan for the remainder of the 2022 NRL season.

The English International will link up with the Roosters today and return to Wests Tigers for 2023 pre-season training.

Gildart injured his calf in May and has since been playing with the club’s NSW Cup team, Western Suburbs Magpies.

Wests Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe says it’s a good opportunity for Gildart and the club.

“This works for Oliver, and it works for us as well.  So strategically, it makes sense.

Oliver will return to us after this short loan and begin preparing for 2023.”

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2022/08/01/gildart-to-join-roosters/

Isn’t gildart meant to be signing with the dolphins in 23?

ReplyQuote
CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I have not done any in-depth analysis or anything but we must be so far under the cap now.

I thought we were supposed to have close to $1M for when a superstar comes on the market?

We have Brooks on say $1M, Douhei on $650k but apart from them, isn't everyone else relatively cheap? 

What are we saving our money for?

I know we will need to upgrade some of the younger guys but surely there would still be stacks left over. I would think that we would be close to not reaching that salary cap floor that was spoken about. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @canberratiger

I have not done any in-depth analysis or anything but we must be so far under the cap now.

I thought we were supposed to have close to $1M for when a superstar comes on the market?

We have Brooks on say $1M, Douhei on $650k but apart from them, isn't everyone else relatively cheap? 

I know we will need to upgrade some of the younger guys but surely there would still be stacks left over. I would think that we would be close to not reaching that salary cap floor that was spoken about. 

I'd like to think we're going to have a crack at a couple of top players for '24 and possibly agitate for a release.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

if gildart comes out and plays well for Roosters then it doesn't say much for Madge and some our our outside backs  as defensively he had nfi

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@canberratiger just front load everyone . 
Does anyone know if you front load a contract does the actual payments have to be in that financial year . Eg. There’s 300k room this year I’m on 1 mil next year. Can I still be paid the 1 mil next year or am I now paid 1.3 this year and 700k next year ? 
is it purely for auditing purposes ? Or does your payg have to resemble to number in the salary cap books ? 
For me I wouldn’t want to agree to that  personally . 

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @avocadoontoast
Posted by: @canberratiger

I'd like to think we're going to have a crack at a couple of top players for '24 and possibly agitate for a release.

I think this year is showing that the contracts are increasingly worth less and less. If we have cap space come Nov 1 for '23 then player agents will be lining up to offer us contracted players. Every time a player signs a new contract the agent gets another signing bonus. 

ReplyQuote
Page 164 / 1067
Share: