Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @celtic_tiger

The good news just keeps on coming, from the DT:

Wests Tigers star recruit Isaiah Papali’i is having cold feet about joining the club next season in the wake of Michael Maguire’s axing.

The Eels back-rower has been billed as a club changing signature for the struggling Tigers after Papali’i agreed to a three year deal worth about $1.9million last November.

But Papali’i has told those close to him he is now having second thoughts about making the move and would like to remain at the Eels.

Papali’i was close with Maguire and reunited with the former Tigers coach in the Kiwis camp last week.

Uncertainty over who will coach the Tigers has led to Papali’i growing increasing apprehensive about making the move.

While Tim Sheens is expected to take over as head coach, it’s uncertain whether that will be enough to satisfy Papali’i.

The Wests Tigers were contacted by The Daily Telegraph last month about Papali’i’s concerns. They said in their most recent dialogue he had remained committed to the club.

Papali’i does have a relationship with Tigers assistant coaches Ben Gardiner and Nathan Cayless from time spent working together within the Kiwis squad.

No official release has been requested by Papali’i, but he has made it clear to friends and family that he is loath to join the Tigers.

The Eels are also aware and have the salary cap space to retain him.

The Tigers will feel frustrated by the issue going public, but it is one that has been developing for several months.

The Tigers will rightfully stand their ground on the deal.

A player-swap from Parramatta could develop into a potential solution.

In February, Papali’i and fellow departing Eel Marata Niukore defended the NRL’s current transfer system that allowed them to sign with rivals 12 months out.

The Tigers can’t afford to entertain releasing Papali’i after losing a host back-rowers including Luke Garner (Penrith), Luciano Leilua (Cowboys) and Kelma Tuilagi (Manly).

The Tigers are banking on Papali’i and NSW hooker Api Koroisau to help turn the club’s fortunes around next season.

The reigning Dally M has played 102 top grade games since making his debut for the Warriors in 2017. He has established himself as one of the game’s most damaging forwards after joining the Eels on a cut-price deal last season.

Wow, if that happens we’re in serious trouble.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Jacob Liddle is the latest Wests Tigers player whose future is clouded after the club allowed him to explore his options beyond this season.

Liddle is contracted to the Tigers until the end of 2023, but the arrival of Blues and Panthers star Apisai Koroisau from next season will further limit his opportunities. Several clubs looking to bolster their dummy-half depth are monitoring the situation closely.

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has met with Liddle about the prospect of joining the Red V. The Dragons have Andrew McCullough on the books until the end of next year, who only recently celebrated his 300th NRL appearance. The joint-venture has used Jayden Sullivan at dummy half at times but is yet to settle on its preferred back-up option.

Parramatta - who are farewelling Reed Mahoney and welcoming Josh Hodgson at the end of the current campaign - are monitoring the situation, as are the Gold Coast Titans.

The development comes just weeks after Luciano Leilua was granted an early release to join the Cowboys.

Liddle has been in and out of the Tigers side this year and has been overlooked for Sunday’s clash with Penrith. Fa’amanu Brown will wear the No.9 jersey as part of a team shake up that includes moving Jackson Hastings to lock, with Adam Doueihi moving into the halves alongside Luke Brooks for the first time this year.

There has been ongoing speculation about the futures of several current and prospective Tigers players as the club prepares to name its coach for next year. Tim Sheens is poised to take up the role a decade after being sacked by the club, potentially with Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall as part of his brains trust.

The Tigers had hoped to lure Cameron Ciraldo to Concord, but Sheens is now the firm favourite for the role after the Panthers assistant knocked a long and lucrative offer.

Isaiah Papali’i is signed to join Koroisau as a marquee recruit for next year, but the club had to allay concerns the Parramatta backrower had about the move. Papali’i committed to the Tigers while Michael Maguire was coach, but his sacking raised questions about the direction of the club.

Those concerns have largely been allayed after a recent meeting between the parties and the former Warrior is now expected to go ahead with the transfer.

“He’s assured us since that everything is fine, Sheens told the Herald on Tuesday. “I’m comfortable that there is no problem at all. He’s looking forward to training with us when he joins us after the World Cup.”

The future of Brooks, who will be paid a seven-figure sum next season, continues to be a point of conjecture, while Hastings is said to be unsettled after being switched from his preferred halves position. Hastings, contracted until the end of next year, has been one of the Tigers’ best in their campaign to date.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/hooker-could-be-the-latest-west-tigers-player-heading-for-the-door-20220713-p5b19p.html

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @helmesy

while Hastings is said to be unsettled after being switched from his preferred halves position

Here we go...

Now Hastings is unsettled.

So, now we have annoyed Brooks, AD and Hastings - the players we sacked our coach so we could sign.

I am interested in exploring Hastings at 13 - but only if he's supportive. To be, Hastings is the priority signing, then AD, then Brooks if he has a role

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @frullens

while Hastings is said to be unsettled after being switched from his preferred halves position

Here we go...

So, now we have annoyed Brooks, AD and Hastings - the players we sacked our coach so we could sign.

I am interested in exploring Hastings at 13 - but only if he's supportive. To be, Hastings is the priority signing, then AD, then Brooks if he has a role

He has been captain the last 2 games and sounded very supportive of the coach on the weekend.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

LoganR21 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @frullens

Here we go...

Hastings has been really poor lately. I’m not sure I’d have his signing as a priority.

ReplyQuote
(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @garry

He has been captain the last 2 games and sounded very supportive of the coach on the weekend.

Hastings is very diplomatic and doesn't trash people publicly. I expect he will always support whoever is in. I also think he would speak his mind privately when he feels people aren't pulling their weight.

I'm not sure he'll be too concerned about playing 13 as that was the targeted position for him (if reports are true). He's also stated he'd play anywhere for the good of the team - a quality I hope spreads throughout.

If he's unsettled I'd suggest it's primarily the sacking of Madge - and I'm not sure how he'd feel about Sheen taking over. He would be more than aware of his UK coaching record.

Joel Helmes and Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @voice_of_reason
Posted by: @garry

Hastings is very diplomatic and doesn't trash people publicly. I expect he will always support whoever is in. I also think he would speak his mind privately when he feels people aren't pulling their weight.

I'm not sure he'll be too concerned about playing 13 as that was the targeted position for him (if reports are true). He's also stated he'd play anywhere for the good of the team - a quality I hope spreads throughout.

If he's unsettled I'd suggest it's primarily the sacking of Madge - and I'm not sure how he'd feel about Sheen taking over. He would be more than aware of his UK coaching record.

Sheens coached him and picked him as captain for the international all stars team he coached last year to a victory over England 

ReplyQuote
(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Sheens coached him and picked him as captain for the international all stars team he coached last year to a victory over England 

He also sold him the vision of playing under Madge.

Any recruitment we attempt will be hobbled by the fact we sacked the guy who had been selling the future. Why would anyone believe 'big picture' plans from the club? We've demonstrated nothing can be assured and we're as unprofessional as it gets.

It saddens me to say all this because I prefer to be the 'glass half full' guy.

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Liddle is no loss good luck to him

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 77)

Hopefully this guy is on the signing radar.

Attachment removed

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 77)

Oliver Gildart rumour going around that his heading back to the UK to play out the rest of the season with Leeds.

And returning next season to Aus to play with another team, whisper’s are it’s the Dolphins.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @tigerlily

Hopefully this guy is on the signing radar.

Attachment removed

I think he has signed somewhere already. Dolphins?

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @voice_of_reason
Posted by: @tigertownsfs

He also sold him the vision of playing under Madge.

Any recruitment we attempt will be hobbled by the fact we sacked the guy who had been selling the future. Why anyone would believe 'big picture' plans from the club? We've demonstrated nothing can be assured and we're as unprofessional as it gets.

It saddens me to say all this because I prefer to be the 'glass half full' guy.

@voice_of_reason  - I always value your opinion - I think Joel said on the pod you're name is apt, your are always the voice of reason.

I'm feeling you - I had bought into the vision of where we were going under madge and as a club with Sheens as GM, and actually was very excited about the back end of the year and for next year.

It's OK to be critical and hopefully constructive if that's the way you see it.

Hopefully you find some things to be positives about and become glass half fill again.

For me it's the younger players coming through like Pole and  Junior - I'm pumped to see where they go and I'm hoping the club can use this moment to get our business in order 

Top 8 2023

Skippa13 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

It sure how many of you saw the State Cup game on the weekend where Hayze Perham scored 4 tries. He's off contract at the Eels. It wasn't his tries that caught my eye but he's pretty nippy over 30 metres or so from what I saw. Not all that big but looks an upgrade on a few we currently have. Only just turned 23 & I doubt on big coin. With Gildart going & not a great deal of depth in the club at centre he might be worth looking at.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @russtutty63

It sure how many of you saw the State Cup game on the weekend where Hayze Perham scored 4 tries. He's off contract at the Eels. It wasn't his tries that caught my eye but he's pretty nippy over 30 metres or so from what I saw. Not all that big but looks an upgrade on a few we currently have. Only just turned 23 & I doubt on big coin. With Gildart going & not a great deal of depth in the club at centre he might be worth looking at.

It's good that you like Perham.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Page 139 / 942
Share: