Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Pretty disappointing, but not overly surprising. He wants to play in the halves, and we have Luai signed up long term as well as Galvin/Fainu. Just gotta ensure that we keep at least one of the latter two.... I don't imagine we'll keep both. 

This is the problem. We dont have Galvin locked up long term. He can negotiate in 12 months.

we do have latu fainu so perhaps Richo is like we have a replacement if Galvin does not sign 

This does have a bit of a Papenhuyzen and Tedesco smell about it 

Except Papenhuyzen was off contract (wasnt Pascoe overseas?). If this goes the same way as Paps/Teddy it will be a much worse self inflicted wound.

he was off contract, I remember chatting to his family at the time they were convinced tesdesco was staying at tigers and he had no possible pathway to first grade so he left... 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

I figure if we lose Onitoni, perhaps we lose Ashton Large as what is his pathway to first grade if we sign De Silva, Manly don't really have a 9 coming through. All reports Ashton is a gun 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

I figure if we lose Onitoni, perhaps we lose Ashton Large as what is his pathway to first grade if we sign De Silva, Manly don't really have a 9 coming through. All reports Ashton is a gun 

IMO DaSilva has shown enough under true fire in the NRL to throw our eggs in that basket. Better prospect than Liddle and Simpkins and looks a potential genuine star 9. IMO we have our succession plan set in stone for 9.

Ashton is 15yo. There is NO NRL pathway for any 15yo. If he has any brains he will stick around for a while and learn from the best. Alternatively he can go to Manly and learn from Simpkins.

hsvjones and Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
(@super-coach)
Junior Pathways

Large’s parents and manager would have made the call, the kid would just go along with them. As for getting a release, Richo made it clear that once the pathway kids were not going to commit long term it was out the door and start focusing on the next kid.

It would be great if Richo’s call to let Large walk was tied in with Galvin extending, but that is wishful thinking. Issac Moses will drag the Galvin thing on way past November 2025 and more likely than not get him a gig elsewhere. One thing for certain, results in 2025 are going to make or break our club. Another poor season will spell a gloomy future

hsvjones and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

IMO DaSilva has shown enough under true fire in the NRL to throw our eggs in that basket. Better prospect than Liddle and Simpkins and looks a potential genuine star 9. IMO we have our succession plan set in stone for 9.

Ashton is 15yo. There is NO NRL pathway for any 15yo. If he has any brains he will stick around for a while and learn from the best. Alternatively he can go to Manly and learn from Simpkins.

let's develop him like we did Onitoni .... 

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Ashton is a gun but we have TDS & then Jared Haywood also looking like a very talented 9 coming through. All 3 look to be special talents but can’t keep them all & TDS has certainly got the jump as next in line to take over from Api. But I’ll be watching Haywood with great interest next year. 

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

I watched Onitoni play a few games last year & this year in Matts & he showed some very good signs but Jhevon Lele looked very good too when he came in to replace Onitoni. Lele is a year younger but showed enough to think he can develop into a handy 6 as well. He’s playing this week in the Cubs team up at the Gold Coast. I’ve no idea if he’ll be as good as Onitoni, or perhaps better, time will tell.  But there are others coming through the pathways that don’t get the media some do and who could develop into very good players, I think Lele might be one. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Im sure they are and they should. your point?

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @russtutty63

Ashton is a gun but we have TDS & then Jared Haywood also looking like a very talented 9 coming through. All 3 look to be special talents but can’t keep them all & TDS has certainly got the jump as next in line to take over from Api. But I’ll be watching Haywood with great interest next year. 

not as sold on TDS as some on here, good player and at present has the jump due to age at this stage, not ruling out Ashton Large and Haywood to both be better 9's than TDS

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

my point is if he is going to follow his brother to brookvale then why develop him 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

my point is if he is going to follow his brother to brookvale then why develop him 

Because he might not and because we are a development club, its our job to sell the future to him. Also because all other talented kids and their parents are watching what we do and are making decisions on whether they should trust their kids with us to be developed. Petty acts like cutting Ashton because of his brothers decision would send exactly the wrong message to all of those families.

Every successful club makes the most of their inherent assets. Some clubs like Roosters have incredible wealth and resources, sponsors and benefactors. Other clubs have enormous junior pools like Parra, Penrith. Some clubs have both, Brisbane.

One of the few beneficial assets that we have is our junior pool and we need to truly make the most of it and genuinely do a great job of developing these kids because we dont have the $$$, benefactors to recruit players and more importantly we dont have the recent success to attract recruits. This is less critical with juniors.

IMO the only real pathway to this club being successful again is properly developing juniors. Giving up on juniors is giving up on hope IMO.

This post was modified 13 hours ago by Tiger5150

Garry, Russtutty63, Dirty Reds and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

not as sold on TDS as some on here, good player and at present has the jump due to age at this stage, not ruling out Ashton Large and Haywood to both be better 9's than TDS

Always difficult to tell at this stage of their careers but all have talent. Just watch how they go next year (maybe next 2 years for Ashton) and then make a judgement. I like all three of them so that's what I'll be doing anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Always difficult to tell at this stage of their careers but all have talent. Just watch how they go next year (maybe next 2 years for Ashton) and then make a judgement. I like all three of them so that's what I'll be doing anyway.

The test for every hot shot junior is the cliched "playing against men", particularly defensively. Personally I was underwhelmed with TDS in the year he debuted. I thought his pass from DH was pretty good but he was slight and understandably struggled defensively and was limited in his effectiveness running.

IMO he improved out of sight in both his defence and running this year and for me its that ability to learn and improve which earmarks TDS as at least a good future first grader.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Because he might not and because we are a development club, its our job to sell the future to him. Also because all other talented kids and their parents are watching what we do and are making decisions on whether they should trust their kids with us to be developed. Petty acts like cutting Ashton because of his brothers decision would send exactly the wrong message to all of those families.

Every successful club makes the most of their inherent assets. Some clubs like Roosters have incredible wealth and resources, sponsors and benefactors. Other clubs have enormous junior pools like Parra, Penrith. Some clubs have both, Brisbane.

One of the few beneficial assets that we have is our junior pool and we need to truly make the most of it and genuinely do a great job of developing these kids because we dont have the $$$, benefactors to recruit players and more importantly we dont have the recent success to attract recruits. This is less critical with juniors.

IMO the only real pathway to this club being successful again is properly developing juniors. Giving up on juniors is giving up on hope IMO.

Think you hit the nail on the head. We wont be able to keep them all but we can develop them and do what we can to keep the best. I think we've started pretty well, even managed to pick up the three Fainu brothers along the way. We've unearthed Lachie, TDS & Luke Laulilii who all look like they'll have very good careers. If you add Jahream that's a very good group of young players we have so far. And given the development program now in place others will come through over the next few seasons as well.    

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Pretty disappointing, but not overly surprising. He wants to play in the halves, and we have Luai signed up long term as well as Galvin/Fainu. Just gotta ensure that we keep at least one of the latter two.... I don't imagine we'll keep both. 

This is the problem. We dont have Galvin locked up long term. He can negotiate in 12 months.

we do have latu fainu so perhaps Richo is like we have a replacement if Galvin does not sign 

This does have a bit of a Papenhuyzen and Tedesco smell about it 

Except Papenhuyzen was off contract (wasnt Pascoe overseas?). If this goes the same way as Paps/Teddy it will be a much worse self inflicted wound.

he was off contract, I remember chatting to his family at the time they were convinced tesdesco was staying at tigers and he had no possible pathway to first grade so he left... 

I believe it was Addo Carr that got signed by Melbourne for a pittance while Pascoe was holidaying midseason in Hawaii. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1065 / 1066
Share: