Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Posted by: @enumerator

Are Bird and Horesbough just the same old recruit???

Dragons abd raiders don't drop good players for no reason.

We already have ageing players on our roster that aren't worth the high salary....

I am a little worried about Bird to be honest, injury prone and past it. 

Pole I don't think we will resign him

Corey Horesbough he would be a great addition to our pack, at 550k I know Canberra don't want to chip anything in but hope Rucho can work something out, if we can get him for 400k he is a great purchase. 

I would be trying to extend Galvin now if ay all possible however Moses would be an idiot not to test the market with Galvin (like walker is doing).

I really think, like most, it depends on how we go next year although if we can finish this season well then there’s no reason why Richo & Benji can’t talk to Lachie, his manager & family just to try to upgrade & extend. Even if Lachie were to extend until the end of 2028 he’d still be only 23 years old & would have his best 5+ years in front of him. If upgrade & extend now he could just get on with playing with some of his mates & Luai etc next 4 years & build this team into a successful one. It would also be great for his local community & kids out there who are now starting to idolise him. Sell it to him us much as you can but easier to do if end the season well. 

Barra reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Ciraldo has said he recruited guys mainly on character, obviously that’s a simplified explanation but if looking at Jack Bird as a possible target it would be based on character mainly as that’s his best asset, he competes. He is also mentally tough, getting over the injuries he’s had & playing decent footy. The Tigers, with quite a few young guys & some others who haven’t won a lot of games last few years need experienced players around them who are mentally tough, who know what it takes to win, who will compete & train to high standards. I’m not sure where that’d put Corey Horsburgh, he certainly competes but his emotions get the better of him but Bird fits the bill. But there may be others as well. See what Richo etc come up with.

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

Bird interests me - feel he could be a good #13. The big red flag is his fragility and staying on the field, so would be happy to steer clear on that ground alone. 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Bird interests me - feel he could be a good #13. The big red flag is his fragility and staying on the field, so would be happy to steer clear on that ground alone. 

He'll be 30 next year. Not the guy for us IMO.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @tiger5150

A 1 or 2 year deal would be fine

Joel Helmes and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mike

He seems like he has been injury issues for ever.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @garry

Perfect for Wests Tigers. He can keep Olam company…. 😂😂😂😂

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @garry

Yes, mentally tough bugga but physically has had his issues. To be honest you do get the feeling if the Tigers sign anyone soon it’ll be a surprise to everyone. I’d be shocked if they haven’t made enquiries about 2 or 3 of those Sharks middles in particular. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@russtutty63 These guys are not listed on official team list are they playing  do not want to waste a Sat arvo.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Posted by: @snake

@russtutty63 These guys are not listed on official team list are they playing  do not want to waste a Sat arvo.

If they do play I don’t expect a great deal but I do have a big opinion of Masi & I’ve had that since Feb 2023 when I first saw him play as a 15 year old. I’d actually gone to watch Onitoni & Luke as there’d been some talk of them & they were good but it was Masi who I thought could be special. I’ve watched his progress since. But I also like to watch others like Jared Haywood who could push Tallyn in a year or two. Zak Clarke who’s now going to Panthers, Chris Faagutu etc.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

NRL market watch: Wests Tigers in talks with Corey Horsburgh, Jack Bird and Royce Hunt

Sharks front-rower Royce Hunt has joined a Canberra enforcer and a Dragons veteran as the latest rival players to be linked with the rebuilding Wests Tigers. See the latest transfer news.

Michael Carayannis and Brent Read

Fresh from an upset win over Manly, the Wests Tigers have turned their attention to signing a trio of stars including a pair of former State of Origin stars.

It is understood the Tigers have had discussions about Jack Bird and Corey Horsburgh, as well as Sharks big man Royce Hunt in the hope of securing the trio from next season.

Bird even met Tigers boss Shane Richardson recently as part of discussions aimed at luring the former NSW State of Origin star to the club for at least the next two seasons.

Their latest interest in both Hunt and Horsburgh is interesting, given the pair engaged in a public war of words last season.

Injury and suspension have prevented the two fiery forwards from settling the score on field.

“I was looking forward to the showdown,” Hunt said after a shoulder charge ban last year. “Shit happens. We have to wait until next year to get our redemption game.”

The Tigers are busy in the market place as they look to spend a chunk of the $2 million they have sitting in their coffers for next season.

Following Stefano Utoikamanu’s decision to reject the Tigers’ offer to instead link with the Storm from 2024, the Tigers have been looking at adding some muscle to their forward pack.

Instead of replacing Utoikamanu with a like-for-like front rower, the Tigers plan to use the $800,000 that was set aside for him to add two players to their ranks for next season.

Hence their interest in securing Hunt and Horsburgh.

It is understood the Tigers can afford both – the problem for the Tigers remains freeing up potential roster spots to be able to accommodate the pair.

Horsburgh’s time at Canberra looks like it will come to an end despite playing Origin last season. He has already met with the Bulldogs and Broncos but a move to those clubs appears unlikely given they have tight salary caps.

The Tigers are also in talks to secure Hunt who – at this stage – only has permission from Cronulla to sign with a rival club for the 2026 season.

The Sharks allowed Hunt to move forward the November 1 transfer window to enable their prop to test the market.
While Cronulla may be open to releasing Hunt they would only do so if they were able to receive something in return – either a financial windfall or a player.

Hunt, who just turned 29, is looking for a multi-year deal which may be his last contract.

Richardson has led the pursuit of Bird, having identified the 29-year-old as the sort of experienced head who could help some of the younger players coming through their ranks.

Bird, who has been granted permission by St George Illawarra to speak with rival clubs, is also able to handle a number of positions.

His signing along with that of Horsburgh and Hunt would add to the signings that are already in place for next season led by Penrith duo Jarome Luai and Sunia Turuva.

The club’s other priority at the moment is to extend the deals of Fonua Pole and Lachlan Galvin. Pole is off contract at the end of next season while Galvin has two years to run on his deal.

•  

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

1. Bula

2. Lualilli

3. Taruva

4. Olam

5. Skelton

6. galvin

7. Luai

8. Horsburgh

9. Api

10.klemmer

11. Bird

12. Sam Fainu

13. Sione Fainu

14. Latu

15. Pole

16. Hunt

17. Seyfarth

not bad. Not sure what the plan would be for Bird, but I assume we want him to replace Bateman. Lock remains an issue for us, I don’t think you really want to be turning Latu into a 13 just yet but perhaps you can go down that path if we sign Galvin to a long term deal. Sione seems to have potential in the link/extra middle role but I just hope if they are going to turn someone into a lock they spend the entire off season practicing that structure rather than the constant rotation we have seen over the past few years. I haven’t minded Seyfarth on the edge of recent weeks but prefer him coming on to bring energy from the bench. I also prefer Pole as a bench prop to come on and use his footwork and power after 20 min rather than being bashed around early as he isn’t the biggest guy. I kind of like the idea of Sione and Latu rotating in the 13 role, mixing up the temper as the game progresses (maybe stat Sione and being Latu on late first half) and that gives Latu a chance to play some first receiver and push Luai and Galvin wider as the game opens up. Nice to have some selection headaches.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

Makasini and Large played Flegg for the first time today. The former scored, and they had a win. 

Both only 17 and obviously some conjecture over their future(s) but you'd hope we'll keep at least one of them. As such we'll need a spot or two in the top squad come 2026 or 27. So wouldn't expect much in the way of senior signings this summer in the backs. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Makasini and Large played Flegg for the first time today. The former scored, and they had a win. 

Both only 17 and obviously some conjecture over their future(s) but you'd hope we'll keep at least one of them. As such we'll need a spot or two in the top squad come 2026 or 27. So wouldn't expect much in the way of senior signings this summer in the backs. 

any colour from anyone around how they played?

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

I get the feeling Bird is incoming. I wonder if Naden or Sullivan go the other way? Or maybe a Matamua?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1032 / 1059
Share: