Recruitment priorit...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Recruitment priorities - 2023

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Which position(s) do you think we need to prioritise for potential 2023 recruits?

• Fullback
  • Wing
  • Centre
  • Halves
  • Back-row
  • Front-row
  • Hooker
  • Utility

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

I think our key priorities are a couple of front rowers, a second rower to partner IP and another centre to partner Naden. I’m not keen on Nofo at all but he’s here forever so I have to suck it up.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davey-farrell)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

@avocadoontoast 

yup we can thank Lee for Nofos ridiculuous contract

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I would be happy if we signed one big,hard,tough uncompromising prop or middle forward who can bend the line but also defend it,someone of the calibre of Fonua-Blake or Jack Hetherington.With Alex Twal’s absence we’ve been something of a leaky boat up the middle last couple of games,another player of his ilk and resolve wouldn’t go astray,unfortunately they don’t grow on trees.

Also very curious to know what is at play with the gifted Tommy Talau,whether he’s destined for the backrow or staying an outside back.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Barra
(@barra)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy

Which position(s) do you think we need to prioritise for potential 2023 recruits?

• Fullback
  • Wing
  • Centre
  • Halves
  • Back-row
  • Front-row
  • Hooker
  • Utility

Any club should always be looking to upgrade all the positions in their team unless they already have a performing elite player in that position. So for WTs that means all positions are open to upgrading, and our lack of players running around in rep weekend was testimony to this!

Yes we have juniors coming through with the best seemingly Tumeth, Matamua, Rua but their best consistent NRL footy is likely a couple of seasons away.

As Sheens has stated, we need to cherry-pick experience to help the younger guys as they come through.

So in my my order of priority;

1. Front row (we have a real lack of depth here having let go Mikaele and Aloiai, and need a top flight senior big body player in this position to help Twal, Stef and Musgrove - Tamou is done)

2. Back-row (yes we have signed a gun 2ndRF for 2023 but need to bolster with another good senior back rower, especially with those going/gone this year and Blore being no absolute guarantee - and even if he is, we'll still need more experienced depth here.)

3. Fullback - we should always be looking at options for custodian while Laurie is the best we can select.

4. Halves - no guarantee we will find what we need between Hastings/Brooks/AD/Madden/Brown. (but only replace with an option who will definitely be better!)

5. Centre - keep an eye open here. Even though we have depth with young players Starford, Tommy T who might make it but also may not reach great heights. TT could move to back row. Even Naden may not work out. Roberts is about done and Gildart doesn't cut it in NRL. I like AD in this position but it is doubtful he would be happy there unless we make him captain and pay him overs.

Then;

6. Wing - we seem to be locked in for now, with Nofo and Ken with AJ backing up.

I think we might be able to get by for utility with what we'll have - certainly there are much bigger concerns.

And Api coming in to hooker next year, Simpkin can understudy so would not spend money in this position.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Highest priorities are prop & second row, then centre.

We are just as weak at centre as prop and 2RF but its a less critical position for the club. IMO

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

We are weak in many positions. I mentioned in another thread when looking at our top 30 roster that there were only 5 or 6 that I would keep. As for priority, prop and second row desperately need upgrading. Looking at next year we will have 4 quality players in the starting pack with Steph, Joe, Api and Papalii and Twal on the bench. Another two strong middles and 2 second rowers are needed.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unhappy-tiger)

Easier question would be what position doesn't need upgrading 

The answer to that is underperforming and injury prone utilities ...we have enough of those

Oh and incompotent upper management / board members ...we have heaps of those as well 

We need everything 1-17 ...because the current players ...coaches ...everything don't cut it 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Laurie is not big enough to play #1 in the NRL. Such an important position in the modern game and we have someone who can’t make a line break even from broken play and regularly gets lifted and driven back on the back of tackle 1 and 2. 

by all means give him a chance at 6 if you want to work out if you want to keep him but he is not a NRL quality 1 and the worst part is most teams have 2 or 3 players in their back 5 who can have more impact at 1 than Laurie.

let’s just be honest 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kiwitiger)
Junior Pathways

Quality. That is what we need. Doesn't matter what position. We need better quality all over the park

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Props

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@tigertownsfs spot on Laurie is not the answer at 1

ReplyQuote
(@snake)

@jedi-tiger Need a fullback ASAP, in the halves for Laurie at best !

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Laurie is not big enough to play #1 in the NRL.

There's a difference between being big enough and good enough.

Look at Jayden Campbell, Reece Walsh, Paps, Brimson, Drinkwater etc  - all small players. Same comparison as Burton and AD - similar height and build but a fair difference in ability.

Laurie might make it but he doesn't run with the intensity of the better fullbacks. Seems to take a pause to think rather than just hitting the pedal.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Hastings played like he was heading to Belmore in 2024 

ReplyQuote
Share: