Madge gives update ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Madge gives update on 2022 side

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire has opened up on Tim Sheens role at the club and hinted at who will partner Luke Brooks in the halves for 2022.

In an interview with the Daily Telegraph, Maguire revealed which new recruits had impressed him during the pre-season with Jack Hastings top of the pile.

Hastings has returned to the NRL following a stint overseas which saw him win the UK Super League’s Man of Steel award in 2019.

The 26-year-old made his debut for the Roosters in 2014, playing 34 games for the tri-colours before his eventual switch to the Sea Eagles. He left the club in 2018 following reports of an altercation with captain Daly Cherry-Evans and headed overseas to continue his career.

Sheens indicated Hastings was a strong chance to partner halfback Luke Brooks with Adam Doueihi sidelined while recovery from an ACL injury.

“We have had Jackson working with the halves,” Maguire said to the Daily Telegraph.

“In the spine we have Jackson, Luke Brooks, Tyrone Peachey and Jock Madden working hard with Dane (Laurie) so he can get a good understanding of playing with them all.

“We also have Jake Liddle and Jake Simpkin in and around No.9. Jackson can cover a lot of positions but he has spent a lot of time in the halves.”

Maguire indicated that Doueihi could be back as early as round 10, but all precautions were being taken to manage his injury, giving Hastings time to showcase his skills.

Another addition to the club that has “really impressed” the Tigers coach is Tyrone Peachey.

The 30-year-old has spent time with the Sharks, Panthers and Titans in a career which began in 2013, playing a variety of positions last season for the Gold Coast.

“He gets in and works really hard on both his game and his connections with his teammates. I think he is going to give us a real point of difference,” Maguire explained.

“Whether we use him at lock or five-eighth, he is quite versatile... He has really jumped in and been a good voice around the organisation with his experience.”

Perhaps the biggest new acquisition, however, won’t even lace up a boot.

Tim Sheens returned to the Tigers last year and has taken up the position of head of football performance.

Maguire said Sheens had been doing “a lot in the background”.

“Having a relationship with Tim prior to him coming to the club, whether it was coaching against him or being coached by him, has been a big advantage.

“He has done a lot in the background. He is building on the structures and pathways in and around the club.

“He is also great just to chat with. I am able to talk both about players and footy with him and I really appreciate having his knowledge to call on. We are both focused on making sure our club is a success in the long term.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2022-wests-tigers-coach-tim-sheens-interview-opens-up-on-halves-and-tim-sheens-jackson-hastings-role-tyrone-peachey-team-news/news-story/3e1bb613dfc97d9f280bbe2a05147f4a

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

(@super-coach)
Junior Pathways

I call it February fluff. Every year it’s the same, the club starts the big sell for the up coming season. All clubs do it and all media outlet’s do it. Hard not to be cynical given our efforts over the past ten years, but I guess we would be bitching if they said nothing.

I keep saying in 2022 I don’t want spin, I want to see effort, I want to see a team that other teams don’t like playing. I want to see a team that is in the hunt for 80 minutes

CanberraTiger, Avo, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Interesting Madge didn't name centre as a possible position for the Peach

Sounds like the Old Dart is impressing at centre - looking at the training photos I thought he might be too light. 

Given the list of options in the halves - I'd be bring AD back in through the centres this year and look to move him to 5/8 only if Brooks and Hastings aren't performing. Turbo showed how impacted you can be at centre if you have a licence- which AD should be given

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @frullens

Sounds like the Old Dart is impressing at centre - looking at the training photos I thought he might be too light. 

Given the list of options in the halves - I'd be bring AD back in through the centres this year and look to move him to 5/8 only if Brooks and Hastings aren't performing. Turbo showed how impacted you can be at centre if you have a licence- which AD should be given

I'm hoping that the halves perform so well they force AD to centre.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
 earl
(@earl)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @garry

I'm hoping our centres perform so well they don't know what to do with AD.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Even though AD has aspects of his game to work on he is already so much more dangerous in the halves than Brooks it’s not funny. Better kicking game, better passing game and goes looking for the ball when we need a play. For us to be a good team AD needs to get his hands on the ball as much as possible. He just won’t get that in the centres imo.

edit: not having a go at you by the way lol, I know you were just trying to be positive about our current halves. Was just making a general comment re AD.

Joel Helmes, Mike and earl reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Even though AD has aspects of his game to work on he is already so much more dangerous in the halves than Brooks it’s not funny. Better kicking game, better passing game and goes looking for the ball when we need a play. For us to be a good team AD needs to get his hands on the ball as much as possible. He just won’t get that in the centres imo.

edit: not having a go at you by the way lol, I know you were just trying to be positive about our current halves. Was just making a general comment re AD.

I really think AD needed this off season to work on parts of his game. For me Ad plays his best football at 6, the issue I have is that he doesn't make those around him play better. I think that is a major role of being a 6. 

I'm not precious enough to think you were having a go @avocadoontoast I am quite happy for you to disagree.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unhappy-tiger)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Peachey at half wasn't where I thought we would be using him 

Joel Helmes and earl reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @unhappy-tiger

I really hope not.

earl reacted
ReplyQuote
(@unhappy-tiger)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I really hope not.

13 or back up 9 if required 

earl reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

I really hope not.

13 or back up 9 if required 

I can see an argument to play him in the centres but really hope it doesn't come to that.

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

I really think AD needed this off season to work on parts of his game. For me Ad plays his best football at 6, the issue I have is that he doesn't make those around him play better. I think that is a major role of being a 6. 

I'm not precious enough to think you were having a go @avocadoontoast I am quite happy for you to disagree.

He absolutely has stuff to work on, but I still think he's better than what we currently have. The caveat on that is Hastings, no idea how he's going to go (although I am hopeful!)

Joel Helmes and earl reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

He absolutely has stuff to work on, but I still think he's better than what we currently have. The caveat on that is Hastings, no idea how he's going to go (although I am hopeful!)

I worry about him coming back from another ACL, it will just be better for the team if we don't have to rush him back into a key position.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

For the opening game against the Storm I would think there are genuinely 7 or 8 positions up for grabs,moreso than last year I believe.Do you interpret this as a positive or negative in relation to the overall squad,or  that we’re still a little on the inexperienced side? The trials might therefore be played with a fair bit of passion......

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

For the opening game against the Storm I would think there are genuinely 7 or 8 positions up for grabs,moreso than last year I believe.Do you interpret this as a positive or negative in relation to the overall squad,or  that we’re still a little on the inexperienced side? The trials might therefore be played with a fair bit of passion......

Yes, good observations - there looks to be a heap of positions still to be decided upon.

Re Peachey/Hastings - we’re fortunate to have guys that can play a number of positions.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: