Notifications
Clear all

Home ground Thread

Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @mike

Posted by: @lorenzo

You should not have to play a QLD team if you sacrifice a home game for magic round.

100% All the QLD teams should be playing a home game during Magic Round. 

you would think that's just common sense, however with the NRL the lack of common sense is profound.

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

You should not have to play a QLD team if you sacrifice a home game for magic round.

100% All the QLD teams should be playing a home game during Magic Round. 

you would think that's just common sense, however with the NRL the lack of common sense is profound.

It should really be no one’s home game and have an uneven number of games during the season. Or alternate who’s home game it counts as each season 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

I thought the whole point of magic round was to have more games played n QLD (Qld teams get an extra home game each year.  I might be in the minority but I can’t the see the “magic” of magic round.

Magic is an illusion 😂

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Eastiemagpie reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

Perth might be a good place for magic round or even Melbourne, NRL needs to grow the game in new markets.

Mike and TigerTownSFS reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

I thought the whole point of magic round was to have more games played n QLD (Qld teams get an extra home game each year.  I might be in the minority but I can’t the see the “magic” of magic round.

I like it as a concept but I also think it would be good as a travelling concept to expand the game ie you get to dominate the local news cycle for a weekend, showcase the sport, build new fans. Playing it at Suncorp only as an extra home game for the QLD teams is dumb.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

I like it as a concept but I also think it would be good as a travelling concept to expand the game ie you get to dominate the local news cycle for a weekend, showcase the sport, build new fans. Playing it at Suncorp only as an extra home game for the QLD teams is dumb.

Exactly, if there is to be a magic round, have it somewhere that will benefit the game.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

IMO the NRL still owes the Warriors a "Magic Round" in NZ. They could actual split it between Nth & Sth Islands

Jedi Tiger, Mike, TGRZMN and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

haven't seen the article but perhaps it looks like 50 million in funding has been struck with Albo and PVL....

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

haven't seen the article but perhaps it looks like 50 million in funding has been struck with Albo and PVL....

Yeah it’s in the Daily Telegraph. Will try and post it.

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Prime minister Anthony Albanese and NRL commission chairman Peter V’landys have stepped in to deliver a $50 million deal to save Leichhardt oval.
A joint funding agreement between the federal and state governments in conjunction with the inner west council will save the famous old rugby league venue in the prime minister’s seat.

This masthead can reveal money was set aside in last week’s federal budget under infrastructure projects that will see the Albanese government fund almost half of the project.

A new grandstand at the northern end of the ground with sponsor and hospitality areas will showpiece the project that includes:

• Four new dressing sheds to accommodate both NRLW and NRL teams on the same day.

• Renovated corporate and media facilities at the top of the existing Latchem Robinson stand.

• Ground capacity increased to 19,000.

• New toilet facilities.

• New bar and food outlets to cut down the waiting time for meals and drinks.

Finally, the 20-minute wait for a beer and a pie will become a thing of the past.

Work is expected to start on the building and renovations next year.

The future of “the eighth wonder of the world” had been in doubt since new Wests Tigers chief executive Shane Richardson spoke earlier in the season of abandoning decades of tradition to move to the 85,000-seat Accor Stadium to accommodate more corporate support.

“Leichhardt is just nowhere near the standard (to host NRL games), “ he said, “we will play at the most commercially viable ground to grow our corporates and membership.”

V’landys, however, has been privately lobbying the governments over the last six weeks.

Outside of the Wests Tigers, the ground hosts more than 120 events each year including rugby union, soccer, school and elite junior sport – an important point in the commission boss’ plea for funding.

While events like Magic Round here in Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium are a huge rugby league money-spinner and comfortable setting for fans, V’landys has always spoken of his love for the tradition and tribalism that can only be created at Sydney’s suburban venues.

How nothing in this game beats the atmosphere and theatre of a Wests Tigers packed house at Leichhardt Oval on a Saturday night or Sunday afternoon.

This deal is a huge victory for the Wests Tigers and V’landys, who used his tight connections with Albanese and Premier Chris Minns to deliver the outcome.

When we told local mayor Darcy Byrne of the deal, he declared: “This money will ensure the future of Leichhardt Oval for the next 50 years.”

The extra corporate space and an increased ground capacity will make it far more cost appealing to the Wests Tigers management.

That’s not to say the club will play all home games there, more like three of four each year.

The club is still investigating opportunities as part of a strategic plan to use Leichhardt, Campbelltown and a major stadium for their home games.

Albanese’s office declined to comment on the upgrade. A spokesman told this masthead: “Any future announcements will be made at an appropriate time.”

This post was modified 4 months ago 3 times by Joel Helmes

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

now get campbletown some funding 

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

It’s not a victory but a token amount to keep some people happy. Needs a lot more than $50m to do anything worthwhile while. We’ll still be the also rans when it comes to Stadiums, considering what was spent on Parra, Penrith, SFS, Cowboys and of course Suncorp. 

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

It’s not a victory but a token amount to keep some people happy. Needs a lot more than $50m to do anything worthwhile while. We’ll still be the also rans when it comes to Stadiums, considering what was spent on Parra, Penrith, SFS, Cowboys and of course Suncorp. 

some thought PVL wouldn't take up the fight, the bloke gets things done. 

we would only be playing 1 or 2 games at LO anyway but good it gets an upgrade so nrl and nrlw can play at same venue as a start. 

ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

Huge news - honestly thought it would never happen. Keen to see what the exact plans are. 

ReplyQuote
(@tigerton)
Junior Pathways

Fantastic news. Hard to beat footy at the 8th wonder. 

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 132 / 148
Share: