Clear all

Rd 14 Tigers v Raiders

(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @garry

Posted by: @the-last-ronin

he’s a bit young. Hasn’t even played state cup

He is playing state cup today.

playing KOE already. Hard to not imagine he will be the bench hooker next year, sharing minutes with Api.

It’s really impressive how the Api/Brooks/wakeham combination has improved with consistent gametime. The trio are linking well together and appear to understand each others game better each week. Quite remarkable that wakeham has found a role in the team we’re he chimes in and can run attack in parts of the field without overplaying his hand. For a minimum wage player it is a great outcome and something that the coaches need a lot of credit for. Brooks has definately earned himself a new contract IMHO but I don’t have a strong opinion on who type of player he is best suited playing with in the halves. 

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

Posted by: @garry

he’s a bit young. Hasn’t even played state cup

He is playing state cup today.

give him a few games there and assess. 

ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @lestronge

@jirskyr the onus is on the players mate. You dive for a charge down you have to be sure you’re not going to hit the legs . 
The reality IMO, is Ice missed the jump at the play the ball , was a step behind where he probably should have been , dived late , and took out his legs . It’s a penalty all day . 
Like I said once he was late and realised that t , he should have just pulled out , as giving up a tie , was way less of a risk than giving up a penalty and therefore the game . 
Much like the last tackle , we have to be more professional at keep our heads when in these types of situations . 
by the way I watched it again , the try was on down the right . Pole shuffles it on and it’s a 4 on 2 . For whatever reason , he decides to run straight back into the middle . You can see Toa absolutely losing it , on the edge for good reason . 
It wasn’t the halves who blew that it was Pole . But he just had a rush of blood . Really we should have never been in that position .Sticky even admitted his team were a grinding team aka . Storm circa 2015. 
But that’s not on the raiders . They were well coached to know that Sutton was never ever going to ping them for it , so they pushed the boundaries . 
and the 2nd try with brooks , is literally a case of are your eyes painted on .

There's no way he can pull out of that. He only makes contact with the kicker because it's wet and he slides on through. 

What you are saying is that you can no longer dive at a field goal attempt, because there is a significant chance of contacting the kicker. Even if you stay on your feet there's a significant chance of making late contact. 

You can't legitimately coach players to pull out in those 1% situations. Either IP competes on every play, or he hesitates and avoids contact. If you instruct him to avoid contact, there is going to be another play in another match where he hesitates and it costs the team.

Billy Slater is a great example. The guy put his laces and knees and boots into quite a number of players over the years, and they had to change the rules to police his defensive tactics, but you'd never coach him not to go in with everything possible to stop a scoring play. You would never coach him to avoid contact in case he got penalised. The guy was elite for contesting every single play, even as a slightly-built dude, and you'd never coach him to avoid that.

I have no argument otherwise that Tigers could have put the game to bed with a better kick defence and clicking in attack earlier. It's another case of too little too late for a team that play like mugs in the first half and play like a finals-bound side in the 2nd half.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

We won the second half… again

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @jirskyr

@jirskyr the onus is on the players mate. You dive for a charge down you have to be sure you’re not going to hit the legs . 
The reality IMO, is Ice missed the jump at the play the ball , was a step behind where he probably should have been , dived late , and took out his legs . It’s a penalty all day . 
Like I said once he was late and realised that t , he should have just pulled out , as giving up a tie , was way less of a risk than giving up a penalty and therefore the game . 
Much like the last tackle , we have to be more professional at keep our heads when in these types of situations . 
by the way I watched it again , the try was on down the right . Pole shuffles it on and it’s a 4 on 2 . For whatever reason , he decides to run straight back into the middle . You can see Toa absolutely losing it , on the edge for good reason . 
It wasn’t the halves who blew that it was Pole . But he just had a rush of blood . Really we should have never been in that position .Sticky even admitted his team were a grinding team aka . Storm circa 2015. 
But that’s not on the raiders . They were well coached to know that Sutton was never ever going to ping them for it , so they pushed the boundaries . 
and the 2nd try with brooks , is literally a case of are your eyes painted on .

There's no way he can pull out of that. He only makes contact with the kicker because it's wet and he slides on through. 

What you are saying is that you can no longer dive at a field goal attempt, because there is a significant chance of contacting the kicker. Even if you stay on your feet there's a significant chance of making late contact. 

You can't legitimately coach players to pull out in those 1% situations. Either IP competes on every play, or he hesitates and avoids contact. If you instruct him to avoid contact, there is going to be another play in another match where he hesitates and it costs the team.

Billy Slater is a great example. The guy put his laces and knees and boots into quite a number of players over the years, and they had to change the rules to police his defensive tactics, but you'd never coach him not to go in with everything possible to stop a scoring play. You would never coach him to avoid contact in case he got penalised. The guy was elite for contesting every single play, even as a slightly-built dude, and you'd never coach him to avoid that.

I have no argument otherwise that Tigers could have put the game to bed with a better kick defence and clicking in attack earlier. It's another case of too little too late for a team that play like mugs in the first half and play like a finals-bound side in the 2nd half.

You just can't make contact with the legs, it was unfortunate but you can't do it.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

I honestly can’t understand how people are still arguing the penalty at the end. It’s a black and white rule, no interpretation. You even hear Sutton agree with Api but say there’s nothing he can do. He dove towards the legs of the kicker and hit the legs. Yes it was minimal but it doesn’t matter, if you dive and hit the legs it’s a penalty 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

I honestly can’t understand how people are still arguing the penalty at the end. It’s a black and white rule, no interpretation. You even hear Sutton agree with Api but say there’s nothing he can do. He dove towards the legs of the kicker and hit the legs. Yes it was minimal but it doesn’t matter, if you dive and hit the legs it’s a penalty 

Yeah I agree. It sucks but it was definitely a penalty.

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@jirskyr respectfully disagree . You pull out before you make the dive . You just don’t go for it . If you have to leave your feet the risk is too great . 
And I don’t want to make out like I know boats , because I never played anywhere near nrl , but I was told the golden rule with charge downs when I was a kid is never lose your feet . You basically take yourself out of the play, and limit if not remove any chance of getting the ball back . So tactically it’s never made sense , and it makes even less sense to dive in 2023 with the rules around contact with the legs . If you gotta dive the risk -reward is too great .

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

@jirskyr respectfully disagree . You pull out before you make the dive . You just don’t go for it . If you have to leave your feet the risk is too great . 
And I don’t want to make out like I know boats , because I never played anywhere near nrl , but I was told the golden rule with charge downs when I was a kid is never lose your feet . You basically take yourself out of the play, and limit if not remove any chance of getting the ball back . So tactically it’s never made sense , and it makes even less sense to dive in 2023 with the rules around contact with the legs . If you gotta dive the risk -reward is too great .

Correct, and the worst part of it is Papali'is effort was wasted as he was coming from outside in, he was never in a million years going to block the kick. Good he put the effort in but it was high effort, high risk play with almost zero chance of a return.

ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

We really can’t blame the loss on the Paps penalty. We were very ordinary with the ball for the majority of the game. We created space down the right side a couple of times but didn’t take it. I was behind the goal posts and Nofa was fuming.

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
Tiger_Alex
(@tiger_alex)
Junior Pathways

@garry I understand the rule completely… just think it’s a crap rule that is not written from the fabric of the game.

Like others have stated, Ice could not do much more than he did to avoid contact with the kicker. Except maybe dive 1m earlier… but these are footy players not physics professors!

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @tiger_alex

@garry I understand the rule completely… just think it’s a crap rule that is not written from the fabric of the game.

Like others have stated, Ice could not do much more than he did to avoid contact with the kicker. Except maybe dive 1m earlier… but these are footy players not physics professors!

I think its similar to a lot of the things that have been outlawed in the game due to safety, need to adapt. I would be coaching players to remain on their feet now days.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger_Alex reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @tiger_alex

Tony Caine enters the chat

Spoiler
Warning Graphic

ReplyQuote
The Last Ronin
(@the-last-ronin)

@tiger5150 thanks. I was trying to remember who that player was earlier today. It’s exactly why they have the rule so black and white. You get it wrong disaster

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

@tiger5150 completely a different technique!!

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 13
Share: