Notifications
Clear all

Live Game NRL Round 4 *Spoilers*

Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @celtic_tiger

We didn't lose because we took the two points on offer and we didn't lose because of an unlucky bounce in the last play of the game.

We lost because our attack is still very poor and we don't score enough tries, one try would have won us the game.

The defence was good last night which is a positive moving forward but until our halves learn how to create numbers on an overlap or put an edge forward through a hole we won't be winning many games.

This is the last thing i'm going to say on the topic so I don't bore everyone to death, but our lack of attack comes down to extremely poor coaching. We are absolutely clueless out there. No-one knows what they're doing. We are the worst coached team in the NRL by far and until that changes we're going to stay where we are. We're not a top 8 side, our recruitment has been awful but we shouldn't be getting the spoon either. Get a coach with half an idea in there and we'd see improvement almost immediately.

ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

We didn't lose because we took the two points on offer and we didn't lose because of an unlucky bounce in the last play of the game.

We lost because our attack is still very poor and we don't score enough tries, one try would have won us the game.

The defence was good last night which is a positive moving forward but until our halves learn how to create numbers on an overlap or put an edge forward through a hole we won't be winning many games.

This is the last thing i'm going to say on the topic so I don't bore everyone to death, but our lack of attack comes down to extremely poor coaching. We are absolutely clueless out there. No-one knows what they're doing. We are the worst coached team in the NRL by far and until that changes we're going to stay where we are. We're not a top 8 side, our recruitment has been awful but we shouldn't be getting the spoon either. Get a coach with half an idea in there and we'd see improvement almost immediately.

I agree with a lot of this. We didn’t lose that game just because we made a decision to take a kick for goal or we copped a bad bounce. We had plenty of opportunities and heaps of ball and good field position throughout to win easily but lost because we couldn’t score. We are very predictable and as such easily defended. We need better structures, movement of the ball, people supporting the ball carrier and better kicks on the last tackle to create opportunities. I thought we defended well though, credit to the boys for hanging in.

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @avocadoontoast

Yep, absolutely spot on.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

There is no doubt that last night’s match was a continuation of the poor game management that we’ve seen for such a long time, and any half decent team would not have been in that position in the 79th minute. But we were not just playing against the Titans 17 sadly:

• the ref let the Titans get away with things that he pinged us on. The most egregious was mid 2nd half when we were on their line and one of our forwards got pulled backwards – he played the advantage but when the play broke down he didn’t come back for the penalty
  • the bunker who doesn’t know what a knock back is
  • the independent doctor who plucks Lids off (who unsurprisingly passed the HIA) but nit the Titans player who dropped the ball when he was stunned by the collision.   

We have a very ordinary roster and aren’t very well coached, so we need some things to go right for us to be competitive. The least the NRL can do is be fair in the officiating.

I’m glad Brooks has been asking questions of the referees – he should amp it up.  

ReplyQuote
Geo
 Geo
(@geo-2)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Has Coops blown up about the Titans failing to score a point against 12 men...

ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Utterly gutted.And I thought the footy Gods could have eased up on us a little.Not so.

I don’t want to harp on about the refereeing but in all objectivity we’ve been on the receiving end of some highly questionable adjudication this first month.Not just incidentals but absolute game changers.

Valiant effort by the boys.

ReplyQuote
(@mac_tiger)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

So to improve our prospects in attack, is it time to mix up the structure a bit to something like:

Fullback:     Laurie (or Toa if Laurie doesn’t come good)

Five eighth: Madden

Half back:   Brooks

Lock:          Hastings (upon return from his criminally long suspension)?

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mac_tiger

So to improve our prospects in attack, is it time to mix up the structure a bit to something like:

Fullback:     Laurie (or Toa if Laurie doesn’t come good)

Five eighth: Madden

Half back:   Brooks

Lock:          Hastings (upon return from his criminally long suspension)?

Not a bad idea, I reckon there’s going to be some halves upheaval by the end of the year.

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Are we sure Laurie is the answer? The kid gives up 15kg to most every fullback in the comp. He is quick but he doesn’t have Ben barber speed so mostly he just gets wrapped up. I get he has shown heart and courage but he is not in the top 12 fullbacks in the comp and I’m not sure he will be within the next few years. Fullback js probably a position that you could buy a top 8 player. I actually think we need to look elsewhere 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Are we sure Laurie is the answer? The kid gives up 15kg to most every fullback in the comp. He is quick but he doesn’t have Ben barber speed so mostly he just gets wrapped up. I get he has shown heart and courage but he is not in the top 12 fullbacks in the comp and I’m not sure he will be within the next few years. Fullback js probably a position that you could buy a top 8 player. I actually think we need to look elsewhere 

Im not actually sure he is quick or has heart or courage. Not sold on him at all.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger5150
Posted by: @tigertownsfs

Im not actually sure he is quick or has heart or courage. Not sold on him at all.

Agree guys 👍

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Let's compare him with 4 of the top team fullbacks - Dylan Edwards, Tommy T, Teddy and Fatrell. Do any of them perform as well with Laurie?

Being realistic, he simply doesn't offer a genuine threat in the backline and I feel a lot of our timing issues are because he doesn't enter the line at pace. He went OK last night - and I was pleased for him - but he's not a top 8 fullback and it's naive to think he can take us deep into a finals run.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@helmesy 

last night was the first time I saw him make the concerted effort to get the hell out of market and track behind the line , which was a big reason our defence was tighter .

for those who’ve never played in the forwards  or realising , When your tired as all get out in the middle, and your  trying to catch a breathe a voice out the back saying “Le stronge move to your  left” can be the difference between a bad defence or a great one . Billy Slaters best attribute was this .

his attention to the numbers , and marshalling the defensive line was infinitely better . 

For me this was his biggest issue . And if he plays with that kind of intensity and endurance , then I’m happy . 
the attack being crap had more to do with confidence than anything else . 
we are making breaks and creating opportunities, but the guys are so in their head about icing tries , they just make a meal of them . 
It’s the whole team . 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@voice_of_reason  yep . Alexander gave him a wrap half way through the second half because he engaged their back rower and found space for tuilagi , which lead to Hillary almost scoring . I couldn’t believe what I was hearing . The guy engages 1 defender and we rap him ? He should be getting up constantly with bruised ribs because he’s getting axed whilst hitting his edges . 
that’s what all the good fullbacks do .

he reminds me of when Moylan went off the boil at the back end of his panthers days . Just playing at half speed . 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

I’m also not sold on Laurie. He has talent but does not appear to know fullback play. last year he went ok but I wanted to see him back up his forwards through the middle and improve his positional play in defence. He got caught out of position a lot on kicks from inside or 20m line and wasn’t backing up when the forwards were making half breaks or looking for an offload. He also seems to be down on cofidence.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share: