Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 350

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

A massive round of Buy, Sell, or Hold on this edition of the pod!

https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0350/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I enjoyed the podcast guys. Thanks as always

To Garry's point about no players being available for 2025 and WT having to focus on 2026 for recruitment, im not sure if I agree.

I think there will be a heap of contracted players on the move during October and November this year. I also think there is likely to be roster spots opening up for us. News Ltd journos make their money out of contract speculation articles so there will be plenty more stories like the Mitch Moses to the Roosters yarn that was tossed up last night

There's 25 players listed here in our contract list. I suspect Matamua is not having his option taken up which would give us only 24 players.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRNMbEOJjzmH3mYk2_d4W7_1ERM4QkQE56JNlRTMRlSZ-hu_-N2TMtrOtO_3dj7QudmgFGL5eyrGUde/pubhtml

In his latest podcast, Richo made reference to at least "3 roster spots and $2mill in cap space." Hypothetically, if Bateman and Sullivan are moved that would bring could save another $1mill (assuming WT wear some of their freight).

By November 1, its feasible that we could have 22 contracted players (Current squad of 25 less Matamua, Bateman and Sullivan)

Lets also assume that

Aidan Sezer

Rueben Porter

Sione Fainu

are re-signed on base salaries or close to it.

That would bring us up to 25 players again.

We'd still have $2 / 3 million to spend on the remaining 5 players for 2025.

At the end of the day im trying to be positive about the potential for roster turnover. I hope we don't have to watch another year with the same crappy squad!

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @mickb

To Garry's point about no players being available for 2025 and WT having to focus on 2026 for recruitment, im not sure if I agree.

I think there will be a heap of contracted players on the move during October and November this year. I also think there is likely to be roster spots opening up for us. News Ltd journos make their money out of contract speculation articles so there will be plenty more stories like the Mitch Moses to the Roosters yarn that was tossed up last night

There's 25 players listed here in our contract list. I suspect Matamua is not having his option taken up which would give us only 24 players.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRNMbEOJjzmH3mYk2_d4W7_1ERM4QkQE56JNlRTMRlSZ-hu_-N2TMtrOtO_3dj7QudmgFGL5eyrGUde/pubhtml

In his latest podcast, Richo made reference to at least "3 roster spots and $2mill in cap space." Hypothetically, if Bateman and Sullivan are moved that would bring could save another $1mill (assuming WT wear some of their freight).

By November 1, its feasible that we could have 22 contracted players (Current squad of 25 less Matamua, Bateman and Sullivan)

Lets also assume that

Aidan Sezer

Rueben Porter

Sione Fainu

At the end of the day im trying to be positive about the potential for roster turnover. I hope we don't have to watch another year with the same crappy squad!

My point wasn't so much to focus on 2026, more so that anyone we sign is going to be someone who is being let go by another club so it is important to not overcommit to these types of players.

We also need to be looking and planning towards 2026 because the quality players available for 2026 will be snapped up in the next 6 months.

It is also worth noting there are a number of juniors that have automatic upgrades to top 30 spots in their contracts.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @mickb

Lets also assume that

Aidan Sezer

Rueben Porter

Sione Fainu

I reckon combined Bateman and Sullivan are burning over a million a season of our salary cap. That is bloody depressing.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: