Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast Episode 0308

Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

After the longest offseason of all the NRL clubs, the Wests Tigers finally make their Season 2024 debut. Unfortunately, it wasn’t the performance Wests Tigers Fans were desperate to see with the side going down to Canberra Raiders.

On this Episode of the Wests Tigers Podcast, Declan McCutcheon is joined by Garry Watson and the returning Kelly Hollis.

The team take you into their thoughts surrounding the defeat at the hands of the Raiders including the Good, the Bad and the Ugly of what was a disappointing afternoon in Canberra.

The discussion revolves around the positives and negatives to take away from the game, who impressed and who didn’t. The panel then gives their opinions on what changes should be made for next Saturday’s game against the Cronulla Sharks.

Thank you for listening to this Episode of the Wests Tigers Podcast and keep an eye for the Mid Week Pod that should include Eddie Otto after his return from his mission in Perth.

Wests Tigers Podcast 0308 | Wests Tigers Podcast

https://omny.fm/shows/wests-tigers-podcast/wests-tigers-podcast-0308

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Garry

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Good podcast as always and good job stepping in to host Declan. Always good to hear kellys point of view as well.

One thing that I did disagree with, in part was the discussion regarding Matamua v Seyfarth. I agree with everyones point of view that Seyfarth needs to go, I agree with everyone that Matamua might be worth a try, but I strongly and respectfully disagree with the method, and in my opinion it is a parallel with what has been wrong with the club.

Yes its worth replacing Seyfarth with Matamua but for too long this club just reacts and "oh well Seyfarth was poor, who's next". This club talks a lot about being a "development club", but never develops the players. In my opinion if the decision is made to ultimately replace Seyfarth with Matamua, you do NOT throw him in this week where he will go ok, or poorly, flounder around for a while while he tries to learn to do what we need him to do in the hardest comp in the world. If we want Matamua to be our ball playing lock...leave him in reggies for a while. Suck it up in firsts, sack Seyfarth but use some sort of plan B with Pole at 13 and Sione or someone on the bench, or even leave Seyfarth on the bench in the short term if there is no replacement. In the mean time, have Matamua playing reggies, at 13 with exact instructions and actual coaching of what we need him to do, to learn and to improve in the hope that he can learn and develop in reggies and then in 4-6 weeks he can be slotted into first grade and actually hit the ground running with some time in the job.

Skippa13 and MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger5150

Good podcast as always and good job stepping in to host Declan. Always good to hear kellys point of view as well.

One thing that I did disagree with, in part was the discussion regarding Matamua v Seyfarth. I agree with everyones point of view that Seyfarth needs to go, I agree with everyone that Matamua might be worth a try, but I strongly and respectfully disagree with the method, and in my opinion it is a parallel with what has been wrong with the club.

Yes its worth replacing Seyfarth with Matamua but for too long this club just reacts and "oh well Seyfarth was poor, who's next". This club talks a lot about being a "development club", but never develops the players. In my opinion if the decision is made to ultimately replace Seyfarth with Matamua, you do NOT throw him in this week where he will go ok, or poorly, flounder around for a while while he tries to learn to do what we need him to do in the hardest comp in the world. If we want Matamua to be our ball playing lock...leave him in reggies for a while. Suck it up in firsts, sack Seyfarth but use some sort of plan B with Pole at 13 and Sione or someone on the bench, or even leave Seyfarth on the bench in the short term if there is no replacement. In the mean time, have Matamua playing reggies, at 13 with exact instructions and actual coaching of what we need him to do, to learn and to improve in the hope that he can learn and develop in reggies and then in 4-6 weeks he can be slotted into first grade and actually hit the ground running with some time in the job.

That was really my point with saying if we are going with matamua in round 2 then that should have been the plan all offseason with him training in that role.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @garry

That was really my point with saying if we are going with matamua in round 2 then that should have been the plan all offseason with him training in that role.

heard that and agree with that, but preseason or offseason isnt enough IMO. You need to learn under fire as well and I think we saw that with Matamua last year. Im not sure Matamua actually has it in him to be honest, but if thats the plan, have a plan, stick to the plan no matter what. Hasnt been a strong point of this club for a long time.

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

This is what the club should have been doing last season - Matamua at #13 in reggies, playing big mins every week. Instead he was all over the place in between grades, playing on an edge or as a prop etc. 

As much as they've declared themselves as a 'development club', they haven't actually developed anyone or even shown any joined up thinking in doing so. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I agree in principal with what you are saying. It's really a two part problem

- Should Seyfarth be near the NRL Best 17?

As Garry stated very well on the podcast there's plenty of evidence to suggest he should be dropped. If he retains his place this week I will be disappointed

- Who should play lock forward?

Number of options here in my view. Any of them would be better than Seyfarth

- Pole at 13 for the first 20 mins and then Matamua

- Pole and Twal in rotation at lock with Sam Fainu playing more minutes as a prop as a result

- Sam Fainu on an edge for the whole game with Bateman moving to 13

- Bateman starting the game at 13 but then shifting to an edge after 20 mins. Any of Sam Fainu or Kepaoa to play left edge

I dont really care what option it is as long as Seyfarth is kept far away from the NRL side.

Skippa13 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @dirty-reds

This is what the club should have been doing last season - Matamua at #13 in reggies, playing big mins every week. Instead he was all over the place in between grades, playing on an edge or as a prop etc. 

As much as they've declared themselves as a 'development club', they haven't actually developed anyone or even shown any joined up thinking in doing so. 

I think this is a by product or poor administration by Justin Pascoe primarily. He'd speak often about a recruitment or retention committee but there didn't ever seem to be any logic around the recruitment decisions

For example, when Sheens was with us we had a rush of new contracts for players managed by Cove agency (Isaac Moses)

This ended when Mitch Moses stayed with the Eels and Sheens got the boot.

Next Pascoe and Fulton jumped into bed with Mario Tartak and we have seen some preference for Crown agency clients since then.

I've often said the best way out of the hole we are in is not by paying overs for over hyped juniors but instead raiding the NSW Cup ranks for guys who have played 50 plus games at that level. An example of this policy is a club like Parramatta who signed Maika Sivo and Hopgood out of Penrith NSW cup in consecutive seasons. These a

Dirty Reds reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @mickb

I agree in principal with what you are saying. It's really a two part problem

- Should Seyfarth be near the NRL Best 17?

As Garry stated very well on the podcast there's plenty of evidence to suggest he should be dropped. If he retains his place this week I will be disappointed

- Who should play lock forward?

Number of options here in my view. Any of them would be better than Seyfarth

- Pole at 13 for the first 20 mins and then Matamua

- Pole and Twal in rotation at lock with Sam Fainu playing more minutes as a prop as a result

- Sam Fainu on an edge for the whole game with Bateman moving to 13

- Bateman starting the game at 13 but then shifting to an edge after 20 mins. Any of Sam Fainu or Kepaoa to play left edge

I dont really care what option it is as long as Seyfarth is kept far away from the NRL side.

Im all for ....- Pole and Twal in rotation at lock with Sam Fainu playing more minutes as a prop as a result....if Matamua is in Reggies developing into the player we need but who replaces Seyfarth in first grade in that scenario in the mean time?

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @mickb

Posted by: @dirty-reds

I've often said the best way out of the hole we are in is not by paying overs for over hyped juniors but instead raiding the NSW Cup ranks for guys who have played 50 plus games at that level. An example of this policy is a club like Parramatta who signed Maika Sivo and Hopgood out of Penrith NSW cup in consecutive seasons. These a

Depends on teh context but 50 games in reggies is a lot. IMO if a player has played that long in reggies, they are not a first grader. Im a bigger fan of buying talent from Flegg on shorter term contracts. We need to be grabbing the next stars.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

is this week's pod coming out guys previewing the Sharks game ?

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

The boys are recording as we speak.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

your not on the pod mate ?

I will try and come down and say g'day before the game Saturday 

also good to see new sponsor McDonalds on board  

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

I am in Melbourne for work tonight. Just installed an ice sculpture at the Ferrari gala.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

I am in Melbourne for work tonight. Just installed an ice sculpture at the Ferrari gala.

nice one 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

@jedi-tiger

20240321 172208

Lorenzo reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2