Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0267

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

A special edition of the podcast today - Garry chats with the Head of Pathways at Wests Tigers, Matthew Betsey. https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0267/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Snake and Garry reacted
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Very informative pod well done , it is a shame the club could not be so forthcoming with information! But that is more a reflection who is in control ..

Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

Well done on the pod. Good choice of guest as development of juniors is a bigger talking point and something the club has been spruiking for some time.  Interesting how Matthew said being a development club is about winning and the biggest challenge for pathways was to develop a player from SG Ball to NRL standard.

Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

Well done on the pod. Good choice of guest as development of juniors is a bigger talking point and something the club has been spruiking for some time.  Interesting how Matthew said being a development club is about winning and the biggest challenge for pathways was to develop a player from SG Ball to NRL standard.

Yeah, I was very keen to get Mathew as a guest and thought he was pretty interesting. 

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davey-farrell)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

awesome work Garry, great get on Betsy!!!  dont u think that is someone that Justin should have had on his rubbish ask the boss show instead of a die hard fan getting him on the ambush, seriously Gaz u should be the CEO of this club instead of him, we would be an aggressive club and actually know what is going on if u were at the helm!!

Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

Interesting that Betsey said that we face a challenge of keeping the juniors because we’ve put our efforts/resources into them and the other clubs know we don’t want to lose them on this basis. I would think, maybe as an optimist, that the fact we’ve supported and developed these guys that would be a bigger aspect ie loyalty.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

Posted by: @helmesy

Interesting that Betsey said that we face a challenge of keeping the juniors because we’ve put our efforts/resources into them and the other clubs know we don’t want to lose them on this basis. I would think, maybe as an optimist, that the fact we’ve supported and developed these guys that would be a bigger aspect ie loyalty.

I think that this ties into another interesting thing that Betsey said which is that winning is part of development. At the moment if we put time and resources into a kid and at 16 they see Tigers bottomof the table and seemingly unable to climb out of their hole, and a Roosters/Storm/Pamfers come along and offer them a chance at success plus $x its going to cost us $x + y% to keep him. If we can get back to our 2011 levels then there will be a successful career path available for them.

I think its tough in some ways to expect "loyalty" from a 16-18yo kid if the club cant offer a path to success. Was glad to hear Betsey refer to it.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @tiger5150

I think that this ties into another interesting thing that Betsey said which is that winning is part of development. At the moment if we put time and resources into a kid and at 16 they see Tigers bottomof the table and seemingly unable to climb out of their hole, and a Roosters/Storm/Pamfers come along and offer them a chance at success plus $x its going to cost us $x + y% to keep him. If we can get back to our 2011 levels then there will be a successful career path available for them.

I think its tough in some ways to expect "loyalty" from a 16-18yo kid if the club cant offer a path to success. Was glad to hear Betsey refer to it.

That was actually one of my questions that I didn't get time to ask, it was my next question but I didn't want to end on a somewhat negative question.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @davey-farrell

awesome work Garry, great get on Betsy!!!  dont u think that is someone that Justin should have had on his rubbish ask the boss show instead of a die hard fan getting him on the ambush, seriously Gaz u should be the CEO of this club instead of him, we would be an aggressive club and actually know what is going on if u were at the helm!!

Im really surprised that they haven't had him on one of their 2 podcasts at some point.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @garry

Im really surprised that they haven't had him on one of their 2 podcasts at some point.

Agree. A lot of the messaging from the club about the new focus on pathways etc has been very vague. Even when they had Kimmorley on Behind the Roar, they barely touched on the men's pathways. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @dirty-reds

Agree. A lot of the messaging from the club about the new focus on pathways etc has been very vague. Even when they had Kimmorley on Behind the Roar, they barely touched on the men's pathways. 

Yeah, I interviewed Brett a little while ago as well and I wanted to keep the focus on the NRLW side as we had 2 of the girls there as well. Betsey made it pretty clear though that Kimmorley is still heavily involved in the pathways system though.

LoganR21 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @garry

That is because he wasn’t here in 2005. Doesn’t meet the requirements 😆

Garry, Mike and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
LoganR21
(@loganr21)

Yeah was a good interview and more importantly a chance for supporters to ask some questions 👍

Keep steering the right path

Garry and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: