Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0202

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

A special edition of the podcast with our own Steve Stretton recently meeting with Lee Hagipantelis to discuss some of the big Wests Tigers issues. Found out what was said by Lee here. https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0202/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Kenny4517, Peter A and Garry reacted
(@russtutty63)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Just had a listen guys & first of all well done in getting to interview Lee who obviously must be a very busy man & secondly thank you for freeing up your own time to bring it together in the podcast. There were some interesting points of course but I doubt whether it will have much influence on the haters who, I’d think, have already made up their minds about Lee, the Board etc. But if it somehow allows one or two to consider their own views in a different light then it’s been of benefit. 
Was glad to hear that the Centre If Excellence has a wall dedicated to past greats of the club. I recall a tour of the old offices etc given by Skando to a group of us & he showed us the timeline on the wall of significant events which included Premierships won. Skando asked us if anyone noticed anything missing? Being an old Magpies supporter I saw that the 1948 or 1952 Wests Premiership was missing (can’t remember which). Seemed funny at the time & a little amateurish. So hopefully the new Centre is a big improvement in that regard, sounds very much like it is.

Peter A, TigerSteve, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Great work Steve only getting this access to our chair.

There's always multiple sides to every story- I always think nothing is black and white, but things usually within a spectrum of colour

So your insights have helped provide some context for club decisions and directions

and also help make Lee more relatable 

So thank you. 

I still think there are issues we need to constructively and thoughtfully feedback to the board/club.

The answer that was meant convincing was the one on leaking. Not all leaking is about players. The soap opera around coaches, most recently madge and the reviews is a case in point. Clearly from section of the board and clearly agenda driven.

But overall, really great 2nd hand interview.

Top 8 2023

Peter A, Joel Helmes, Garry and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davey-farrell)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

onya Steve great work getting the interview and the podcast boys..whatever we say about LEE he does have the best of heart for the Tigers, great work again!!!

Peter A, Joel Helmes, TigerSteve and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Interesting pod. I do like Lee’s take on contracts. His comments about who is doing the agitating rings true. The comments about Wests Tigers always having something in their favour about player leaving, I guess that’s a matter of opinion. Standing firm on contracts the proof will be what happens to Papaili’i. I totally agree with @Garry on this. The NRL needs to back the clubs and enforce the contract. Otherwise the bottom clubs will just be used as a bargaining position and will find it very difficult to attract good talent. 

A good point about the leaks. At the very least he was honest and not something that can be guaranteed. Certainly look at who most benefits, agents or opposition clubs is valid.  

A good point also about the Wests Tigers being already privately owned. Agree we don’t want Eels or Bulldogs situation but some representative of the fans at Board level would be good. Even a single non voting position would be better than current arrangements. ie nothing. 

The rest hmmmm. Yes the independent board members are by invitation by the Wests Tigers (Wests Ashfield) board. Bryden’s being a major sponsor before Lee was appointed and himself putting millions into the club the cynic could say he brought the Chair position on the Board. I still think it is a conflict of interest and that fact that Lee doesn’t is concerning. 

Also interesting that Lee doesn’t really understand how the Wests Tigers Board is appointed. I think as Chair he would have a detailed knowledge of this and all it’s ramifications.

The coaching situation was just a debacle and unprofessional. They need to do better. There is no escaping it was a mess and very badly handled. What we ended up with was like putting all our money on a single horse race and hoping who we picked won. 

Agree that we should be developing coaches as well as players but this doesn’t excuse the above. 

While I’m rambling I do like that the club is standing up to the NRL over Cowboys debacle. At the very least this is the sort of thing that shows the playing group that the front office is behind them. This is the sort of thing that effects on field performances, in this case in a positive fashion. I feel more positive about this than any other action taken recently. It unites the club and fans. 

Kenny4517, Peter A, Joel Helmes and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@boonboon)
Junior Pathways

Great podcast lads and really good insight. Thanks to Steve especially for asking the hard questions and also giving us such a new insight into the club 

Kenny4517, Joel Helmes, Jedi Tiger and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@mike Agree with most of that, I also agree that the coaching situation could have been handled better but believe we are in a stronger position now than we were before the coaching change.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

@mike Agree with most of that, I also agree that the coaching situation could have been handled better but believe we are in a stronger position now than we were before the coaching change.

Perhaps, time will tell. I certainly hope so. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chook)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Cheers Steve. 

Interesting pod to listen to and great to get that inside knowledge and thoughts of people within the club. 

Do you know if the Wests Tigers are working on a mini video where they can take a tour of the new COE for the fans. Would love to see what the finished product looks like and surely they want to show it off to the public... 

Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Posted by: @chook

Cheers Steve. 

Interesting pod to listen to and great to get that inside knowledge and thoughts of people within the club. 

Do you know if the Wests Tigers are working on a mini video where they can take a tour of the new COE for the fans. Would love to see what the finished product looks like and surely they want to show it off to the public... 

I’m not sure Chook but it’s a good idea. I’m sure they will but I’ll mention it when I meet with them next week.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Cheers Steve. 

I do know they are going to offer tours once it is open. It also will have a cafe where you can sit and watch training.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup

@tigersteve mentioned to Garry before but in the bew year the club should have an Ambush event at a training session at the COE or something in the pre season 2023 

Well done on the Lee interview Steve BTW 

TigerSteve and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@peter-a)
Junior Pathways

Thanks Steve for your efforts in getting an interview. While I still have many questions I would like Lee to answer he is passionate for the club. It has reengaged me with management and giving me confidence that becoming a member next year will be worthwhile knowing that they are leading us in the right direction.

ReplyQuote
(@gcfan)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @garry

No need to. They’re planning on showcasing it during “Tales from Tiger Town 2”

Jedi Tiger and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

I'm glad you got to meet Lee H Steve - I always thought he was a man you needed to meet before you could really judge him properly.

Same goes for Pascoe - very popular to dislike Pascoe, very easy target with his hair and his choices of dress, but you actually meet the man - and he's no fool. You might not agree with him on everything but he's almost certainly not incompetent.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: