Cqtiger
(@cqtiger)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @mike
Posted by: @yanni
Posted by: @tigersteve

There is no confusion around Madge, he’s here and staying. The confusion is with the people that think otherwise. 

I get that Mike but doesn’t the lack of attacking and defending structures make you question  the coaching or do you put that all in the players?

Neither you nor I know how they are being coached, we are not there. All we see is the end results. We have a premiership winning coach developed in the Storm system. I trust the coach more than I do the players. 

And right now the end result is not looking to good in fact they haven’t looked to good for 3and a bit seasons.

But that end result has nothing to do with the coach 

They haven’t looked good for 10 seasons… it’s not the coach. 

This coach has put this squad together but it’s not the coach?

(sigh)

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @garry

There is no confusion around Madge, he’s here and staying. The confusion is with the people that think otherwise. 

I get that Mike but doesn’t the lack of attacking and defending structures make you question  the coaching or do you put that all in the players?

Neither you nor I know how they are being coached, we are not there. All we see is the end results. We have a premiership winning coach developed in the Storm system. I trust the coach more than I do the players. 

How long should we keep giving him the benefit of doubt because of that premiership? He wouldn't be the 1st coach the game left behind. 

We complain that we are not more Storm like. Here we have a coach that is trying to change the culture of the club. Make the players more professional and put in the effort and change the players attitude that they just can’t come here for easy money ie be more Storm like… and we still aren’t happy. This sort of culture change takes time and it will take as long as it takes. 

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

How long should we keep giving him the benefit of doubt because of that premiership? He wouldn't be the 1st coach the game left behind. 

We complain that we are not more Storm like. Here we have a coach that is trying to change the culture of the club. Make the players more professional and put in the effort and change the players attitude that they just can’t come here for easy money ie be more Storm like… and we still aren’t happy. This sort of culture change takes time and it will take as long as it takes. 

Great post @mike

Finger pointing, looking for quick fixes and short term solutions is what's got us in this mess. 

It takes time to change culture,  but I can see the hard work starting to bulld comething. I've been really impressed with the teams attitude this year. 

If they weren't buying in then look at the coach - but I see that they are buying in.

Top 8 2023

TigerSteve and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Posted by: @frullens

Great post @mike

Finger pointing, looking for quick fixes and short term solutions is what's got us in this mess. 

It takes time to change culture,  but I can see the hard work starting to bulld comething. I've been really impressed with the teams attitude this year. 

If they weren't buying in then look at the coach - but I see that they are buying in.

This has definitely caused me to change tact a bit. Players seem to be buying in. Positive talk but also backed up by effort in performance. Still concerned about our structures etc but they are better than last year despite no wins

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Posted by: @cqtiger

And right now the end result is not looking to good in fact they haven’t looked to good for 3and a bit seasons.

(sigh)

I don't cop the argument that this is madges roster so there's no excuses for 2 reasons:

1. Clearys dreadful signings were only cleared out last year - in fact we are still paying half a million for mybe to play at the dragons this year. Those signings have been a noose around the rosters neck the whole of madges tenure.

2. Madge has never had full say on signings (thanks again to the cleary mess). Harridan and Madge had different views on signings priorities - which resulted in our very confused signing strategies.

Madge has never had an open cheque book to sign who he wanted, with many signings to date having to be pragmatic due to the salary cap legacy.

You put on top of that, the layer of culture change issue. Where, unlike most clubs, our highest paid players were actually the ones not performing and setting bad culture - I don't think it's a s simples as saying madge signed these .players so he should cop it.

Top 8 2023

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yanni)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @frullens
Posted by: @cqtiger

(sigh)

I don't cop the argument that this is madges roster so there's no excuses for 2 reasons:

1. Clearys dreadful signings were only cleared out last year - in fact we are still paying half a million for mybe to play at the dragons this year. Those signings have been a noose around the rosters neck the whole of madges tenure.

2. Madge has never had full say on signings (thanks again to the cleary mess). Harridan and Madge had different views on signings priorities - which resulted in our very confused signing strategies.

Madge has never had an open cheque book to sign who he wanted, with many signings to date having to be pragmatic due to the salary cap legacy.

You put on top of that, the layer of culture change issue. Where, unlike most clubs, our highest paid players were actually the ones not performing and setting bad culture - I don't think it's a s simples as saying madge signed these .players so he should cop it.

Mate open cheque book what are you on about if we had no money how did we make offers to any number of high profile players who all said thanks but no thanks. As for Mybey playing at dragons he was under contract no one forced us to pay for him to play elsewhere. This coach needs to go 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yanni)
Junior Pathways

But it’s the same players for the last 10 seasons that explains it

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

But it’s the same players for the last 10 seasons that explains it

It’s the club culture that is the issue and this is changing in large part due to Madge. 

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@voice_of_reason)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Just spent 20 minutes listening to it (2x speed). It was curious listening to everyone supporting Laurie but in the next segment complaining we have no impact on block plays. This is exactly where he's falling short (and backing up through the middle). He had a decent year last year but everyone seems to want accountability but when someone is underperforming they don't want to drop. It's one of the few position where we have someone who could step in.

On Brooks and Madden, I'd like to see Brooks at 7, Hastings at 6 and Madden at 14. I like Hastings a little wider where he frees up the field by moving the ball early. Madden can either come on and play some dummy half or Hastings goes to 9 and Madden adds some spark in the halves. Peachy to go to the reserves.

I agree with whomever said Pascoe is going OK. He's not responsible for football performance - he needs to ensure our financial position is sound and he's doing that. Lee, well I'm sure he's chipping in a solid financial contribution but having him as the chairman probably isn't wise. Having said that, he probably has more business acumen than the rest of the board combined. I think the board is full of no-name, limited ability show ponies. Talk about the players being happy to be first graders - I think these folks are just happy to be on a board somewhere. They're also not responsible for our on field performances but they need to stay away from the day to day operations of the club - including the chairman.

As for Madge, he's signed until the end of 2023(?) Let's just see out the contract no matter what. I think if the club came out and declared we're doing that a lot of the pressure would subside. Everyone knew 2022 was going to be a tough year but are crying because it is. 2023 will be better but we need to show we can see out a coach's contract.

On hookers, most clubs need 3 hookers on the books. I'm not sold on Simpkin, Liddle is well ahead and Api and Rua will likely be in the 17 next year.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Bellamy innovates, even to the point people don't like it. What is one original thing that Madge has brought to the game? Comparing Madge to Bellamy is laughable.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes and Yanni reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @voice_of_reason

Just spent 20 minutes listening to it (2x speed). It was curious listening to everyone supporting Laurie but in the next segment complaining we have no impact on block plays. This is exactly where he's falling short (and backing up through the middle). He had a decent year last year but everyone seems to want accountability but when someone is underperforming they don't want to drop. It's one of the few position where we have someone who could step in.

On Brooks and Madden, I'd like to see Brooks at 7, Hastings at 6 and Madden at 14. I like Hastings a little wider where he frees up the field by moving the ball early. Madden can either come on and play some dummy half or Hastings goes to 9 and Madden adds some spark in the halves. Peachy to go to the reserves.

I agree with whomever said Pascoe is going OK. He's not responsible for football performance - he needs to ensure our financial position is sound and he's doing that. Lee, well I'm sure he's chipping in a solid financial contribution but having him as the chairman probably isn't wise. Having said that, he probably has more business acumen than the rest of the board combined. I think the board is full of no-name, limited ability show ponies. Talk about the players being happy to be first graders - I think these folks are just happy to be on a board somewhere. They're also not responsible for our on field performances but they need to stay away from the day to day operations of the club - including the chairman.

As for Madge, he's signed until the end of 2023(?) Let's just see out the contract no matter what. I think if the club came out and declared we're doing that a lot of the pressure would subside. Everyone knew 2022 was going to be a tough year but are crying because it is. 2023 will be better but we need to show we can see out a coach's contract.

On hookers, most clubs need 3 hookers on the books. I'm not sold on Simpkin, Liddle is well ahead and Api and Rua will likely be in the 17 next year.

Look at the position Laurie gets the ball, he is covered by the time the ball reaches him. We don't play through the middle or straight enough on our block plays to allow him the space needed to have an impact. Laurie's poor form is a symptom of how we play, not the cause, in saying that I would have dropped him after the Warriors game.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Bellamy innovates, even to the point people don't like it. What is one original thing that Madge has brought to the game? Comparing Madge to Bellamy is laughable.

Looking at the players Bellamy has makes me laugh in comparison. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Looking at the players Bellamy has makes me laugh in comparison. 

Because he developed them or they want to play for him. You didn't answer the question though, name just one original thing that Madge has brought to the game. You are comparing one of the best coaches in the game to Madge, you need to give evidence to sustain that.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@snake)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Honestly reading this thread and others on other sites I just do not fathom how no one can see that Maguire is not the issue. Name one player that has improved with there game under him some that that showed promise are just now languishing in reserve grade ..3 years past of declining failure … this season still no wins … different assistant coaches this season same failures .

Wake up all this is all about Maguire he has failed and needs to be shown the door immediately !!!

Yanni and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

The comparison was about culture and culture change. 

Not about coaching ability or then as tacticians. If you're looking for coaches who innovate there's maybe 2 or 3 in the comp and the rest copy. 

On the issue of culture.  Would you prefer to keep long standing culture of player power, happy to take a party cheque ave giving up when the going gets tough?

Or would you prefer we had a stronger culture where we stay in the fight and work out backsides off.

I think that's where we are heading and that's the only way we'll get long term success

This post was modified 2 years ago by Frullens

Top 8 2023

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: