Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @lestronge

@avocadoontoast not to stick up for him avo , but I always tended to believe when arguing with Jirskyr about this , that his desire to sit on the fence killed my soul. 
Mainly because originally I agreed with him as recently as around 2020 , as I couldn’t foresee the last 3 seasons happening , as people like you had . 
I think he’s just on the life raft  in regards to clubs hierarchy . The boats sinking , but he’s happy to keep paddling the water out , where the rest of us have jumped off and are looking for dry land . 
He might be right , and we all jumped off too soon , but I don’t think so . 
Hence the conflict around this touchy subject .

That's not it at all. It's not sitting on the fence, it's having an opinion that things aren't really as good or bad as some people like to say. It's also a recognition that we as fans desire change in an area where we completely lack control - club ownership and management. Coaches and players change all the time, and on-field success drives those appointments and that constant pressure. 

For example:

Is Pascoe a bad CEO? No he's not.

Is he a good one? I can't really say, I wouldn't know how to define a good CEO. Wests Ashfield appear to be happy with him.

Have Tigers done well since Pascoe joined? Financially yes, stability probably yes, football performance and reputation definitely no.

Should you sack Pascoe because Tigers have performed badly on-field during his tenure? It is a reasonable proposition after we've already pulled many other levers.

Will sacking Pascoe make a difference? We don't know but we can definitely say it's one of the things we haven't attempted yet.

Will Wests Ashfield sack Pascoe? Looks like they will not.

So for me that's kind of the end of the Pascoe debate. You can keep on banging on about how rubbish he is, his haircut etc. but it doesn't shift the conversation or the reality one bit. So I became bored talking about Pascoe quite some years ago. That's not fence-sitting, that's just being bored with a topic that doesn't change. 

I have stated many times I have no investment in the club's hierarchy at all. If Pascoe and Lee and whomever else was fired tomorrow, I'd be happy with that. If Wests Ashfield voluntarily gave up their Board seats or undertook systematic review (as per petition) I'd be in favour of that.

I'm not in the habit of defending Lee H either, apart from recognising the financial and time commitments he makes to the club, because I think Lee H is a clown. But I don't want to be working myself up every week over just how much of a clown Lee H is. And I am also pretty confident Lee H isn't as bad as he presents, that if you met the guy you might revise your opinion.

But anyway my original post was about Daine Laurie, about which you appear to agree with me, that I don't think his form has been great and I'm pretty sure the coaches are quite aware of his abilities and deficiencies. It annoys me that some fans watch Laurie play 1 or 2 good matches and then decree that he's our guy and the coaches should have known better - because I think it's baloney. It's also a reaction that, from my perspective, sits within a hotbed of polarised negativity, where anything that isn't good is bad, rather than medium or neutral (it's a big deal in the broader world, outside of sports, too). I think the non-selection of Daine Laurie in 2023 is a pretty neutral thing, pretty easily reasoned or explained, but people want to make it into another sore point. 

This post was modified 1 year ago by jirskyr

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @avocadoontoast

@jirskyr you can’t post any because they don’t exist.

Tiresome and I won't be baited.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Aiden Sezer recent form for those interested

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-player-ratings-jarrod-27468475

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-player-ratings-rhyse-27418945

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-player-ratings-nene-27327491

I think we need experience in the halves for 2024 and I think we needed to move on from Luke Brooks. I'm happy to support the Sezer signing for these reasons but I have set my expectations very low for next year.

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @jirskyr

Should you sack Pascoe because Tigers have performed badly on-field during his tenure?

Absolutely yes. If a company had failed so dismally on the no. 1 KPI, in this instance winning football matches and making finals and winning premierships, the CEO would have been marched out the door long ago. 

ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@jirskyr I’m not doing the Pascoe stuff with you mate . I agree with most of it , but we aren’t winning , and everything else has been changed , and at some point the captain has to go down with the ship , whether he saw the iceberg , did everything humanly possible to avoid hitting it (insert titanic analogies here) . 
It is the nature of leadership , and the sign of a true leader to understand that any failures beneath him , are also his failures and as such he is ultimately responsible . As for whether the board will sack him , well that’s the whole point proving what I’m saying about leadership and the difference between leadership positions and leaders . 
the laurie stuff is meh . Sullivan is a better footy player , and fainu is as well. I don’t think anyone in the know would ever disagree . Hence there was no line for laurie , and there was a line for both those guys .

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

A CEO at even the most successful companies rarely lasts longer than 7 years boards recognise the need for fresh ideas and innovation. Regardless of how good Pascoe has been as CEO it is entirely normal for him to be moved on. It needs to happen.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Posted by: @jirskyr

@jirskyr you can’t post any because they don’t exist.

Tiresome and I won't be baited.

Not baiting you at all. You made a claim and you can’t back it up because you know it’s untrue.

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Posted by: @mickb

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-player-ratings-jarrod-27468475

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-player-ratings-rhyse-27418945

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/leeds-rhinos-player-ratings-nene-27327491

I think we need experience in the halves for 2024 and I think we needed to move on from Luke Brooks. I'm happy to support the Sezer signing for these reasons but I have set my expectations very low for next year.

now the whipping boy (I mean luke brooks is gone) who will fingers be pointed at ? Sezer ?? hope I am proven wrong with sezer, highly highly doubt it though looks good in ESL that doesn't mean much Luke Brooks would look like Thurston over in that competition. 

Happy we signed Sullivan though he will go pretty well 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @mickb

same. I think we will calling for Sezer to be axed before the season is out. One thing I worry about is that at the moment our few line breaks are backed up by our halves and I don’t think Sezer is going to have the pace. 

I think we will have another poor season and finish the season 

with Sullivan/fainu

Jedi Tiger and Avo reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

@jedi-tiger I think Brooks is the better player but Sezer is the better organiser. In saying that, I’m not a huge fan of the signing. Looking forward to Sullivan and Fainu in the halves.

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

@jedi-tiger I think Brooks is the better player but Sezer is the better organiser. In saying that, I’m not a huge fan of the signing. Looking forward to Sullivan and Fainu in the halves.

I would much prefer Brooks to Sezer but would want either of them just for 1-2years and based on Manly signing him for 4 years that clearly wasn’t happening. Neither are the future of a competitive Tigers. Best hope is Sezer is a transition 

lestronge and Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@jedi-tiger I dunno mate . He wasn’t very good on sat night . Whether by design or the way the game went , he wasn’t  at the level he’s been most of the year . Hopefully for him personally this isn’t a form regression , back to his mean prior to this season . 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)

@tiger5150 hopefully fainu and Sullivan bash down the door ,  and make it crazy to not pick them . This can allow Sezer to move into a mentor role with a lot of the young guys in our squad next year . That’s the dream scenario anyway .

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

IMG 2489

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 805 / 1067
Share: