Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

CanberraTiger
(@canberratiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

It would have gotten me but then I saw it was Zero tackle. They only quote or reword other news sources and usually at least 3 days late

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
jirskyr
(@jirskyr)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @canberratiger

Zero tackle

Zero info

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Daine Laurie linked with a move to the Eels according to Twitter.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @hsvjones

I think we are all wrong with the idea of looking for a young 7 or reserve grade one.. Sheen basically said they were after an experience half. 

This got me thinking about what when WT have had success with player recruitment what types of players have we recruited? Sure it hasn't happened often but when I look back

- signing big names has never really worked for us. In the last 10 years, we can point to Adam Blair, Reynolds, Packer, Mbye (among others) who were all on decent money but didn't deliver.

- every so often we've jagged a player out of reggies in the formative stages of their career who has delivered. An example of this is Marty Tapau who started with us in 2014. He'd been with the Dogs for 3 seasons and played 20 NRL games. He was 23 at that time.

For us to make it out of the sad situation that we need at the moment, I think we need to look at guys who have proven themselves in reggies over 2-3 seasons rather than paying big money to players with higher profiles.

I honestly think Dean Hawkins fits the mould of the type of player we should go for. He's 23 and has been around NSW Cup for 3+ seasons. Like Taupau was.

Look at his history at Cup level.

2018 Debuted for North Sydney in Cup at 19

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/04/20/hawkins-swoops-on-childhood-dream/

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/10/04/season-review--north-sydney-bears/

2019 Played 11 games for Souths reserve grade. Connor Tracey and Blake Taafe also spent time in the halves that year.

2020 - NSW Cup cancelled.

2021 played 3 games at NRL Level and was named NSW Cup player of the Year in a shortened season.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/10/08/south-sydney-rabbitohs-dean-hawkins-named-nsw-cup-player-of-the-year-for-souths/

2022 NSW Cup team of the year.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/09/25/six-grand-finalists-named-nsw-cup-team-of-the-year/

Reserve grade these days has very poor coverage so its harder to know who is tearing it up. I have personally seen him play a couple of games for Souths reggies last year. He's a genuine organiser, decent kicking game and a class above Cup level.

I can accept some fans wont want to try unproven players but those are the same fans who say 'there's no good halves out there.'

Im not going to look forward to game day until we see some new players in key positions on the team sheet. Simple as that.

hsvjones, 851, Joel Helmes and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy

Daine Laurie linked with a move to the Eels according to Twitter.

why not play him at 5/8 before showing him the door?  Bizarre decision making.

Kenny4517 and 851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@hsvjones)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @mickb

Posted by: @hsvjones

I think we are all wrong with the idea of looking for a young 7 or reserve grade one.. Sheen basically said they were after an experience half. 

This got me thinking about what when WT have had success with player recruitment what types of players have we recruited? Sure it hasn't happened often but when I look back

- signing big names has never really worked for us. In the last 10 years, we can point to Adam Blair, Reynolds, Packer, Mbye (among others) who were all on decent money but didn't deliver.

- every so often we've jagged a player out of reggies in the formative stages of their career who has delivered. An example of this is Marty Tapau who started with us in 2014. He'd been with the Dogs for 3 seasons and played 20 NRL games. He was 23 at that time.

For us to make it out of the sad situation that we need at the moment, I think we need to look at guys who have proven themselves in reggies over 2-3 seasons rather than paying big money to players with higher profiles.

I honestly think Dean Hawkins fits the mould of the type of player we should go for. He's 23 and has been around NSW Cup for 3+ seasons. Like Taupau was.

Look at his history at Cup level.

2018 Debuted for North Sydney in Cup at 19

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/04/20/hawkins-swoops-on-childhood-dream/

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/10/04/season-review--north-sydney-bears/

2019 Played 11 games for Souths reserve grade. Connor Tracey and Blake Taafe also spent time in the halves that year.

2020 - NSW Cup cancelled.

2021 played 3 games at NRL Level and was named NSW Cup player of the Year in a shortened season.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2021/10/08/south-sydney-rabbitohs-dean-hawkins-named-nsw-cup-player-of-the-year-for-souths/

2022 NSW Cup team of the year.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/09/25/six-grand-finalists-named-nsw-cup-team-of-the-year/

Reserve grade these days has very poor coverage so its harder to know who is tearing it up. I have personally seen him play a couple of games for Souths reggies last year. He's a genuine organiser, decent kicking game and a class above Cup level.

I can accept some fans wont want to try unproven players but those are the same fans who say 'there's no good halves out there.'

Im not going to look forward to game day until we see some new players in key positions on the team sheet. Simple as that.

Agree mate I would be happy to give him a go as anyone would be better than what we have. 

851 and Westy81 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Hawkins is miles better than wakeham if we can get a release from souths great, otherwise Tyrone Smith is shopping him and kayal iro to Super League. We should be after both those players iro can play centre. 

851 and Kenny4517 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@helmesy great frees up another spot

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

Daine Laurie is a reserve grader . Luke brooks is a man of steel finalist … for catalans . Adam Douehi is a centre . All of them have to go . 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

Hawkins is miles better than wakeham if we can get a release from souths great, otherwise Tyrone Smith is shopping him and kayal iro to Super League. We should be after both those players iro can play centre. 

Not a fan of Iro at centre. A really minor thing but its Tyran Smith Jedi.

Jedi Tiger reacted
ReplyQuote
(@kenny4517)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I believe Connor Tracey would be better than Iro. Tracey can play in the half’s, centre and Fullback. 

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @lestronge

Daine Laurie is a reserve grader . Luke brooks is a man of steel finalist … for catalans . Adam Douehi is a centre . All of them have to go . 

🎯🎯🎯

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

ReplyQuote
Crowsnest
(@crowsnest)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

This is the best Wests Tigers side I've seen since last year. 😻

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @kenny4517

I believe Connor Tracey would be better than Iro. Tracey can play in the half’s, centre and Fullback. 

I think we've recruited too many players, who can play halves, centre or fullback - but not excel in any - Mybe, AD, Laurie, Etc

Need a x-factor first grader 1 and a quality organising first grader 7 - and this team is transformed 

Top 8 2023

851, TigerSteve, Yanni and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@yanni)
Junior Pathways

@frullens  you  are  correct  in  what  you  say

ReplyQuote
Page 551 / 1066
Share: