Wests Tigers Signin...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

I’d like to pose the question,does Mitchell Moses deserve the status of the game’s highest paid player?I fail to see how.Granted he’s matured as a player over the last couple of years,but in my opinion he’s not an elite like Teddy or Munster.I’m of the view that we overpay at our peril.We’ve just cleared the decks and to be paying stupid money on a long contract is a little reminiscent of what we’ve just endured through Cleary’s handiwork and I realise you pay more for halfbacks…..

I’m of a mind to keep the powder dry,maintain the war chest and wait for someone to emerge over the next year.It’s a long season and something generally eventuates or some wunderkind creates new waves.We have lost out in a few negotiations and have potentially been played.Sometimes better to be prudent and keep walking,perhaps wipe the smile from Isaac Moses and flex a little muscle of our own.

I could be wrong,maybe Mitch Moses is of the 1.4 million calibre,but I’m in the cold feet department.

IMO the market is about to change significantly. If we get Moses on the money reported, he will be significantly overpaid at the start of his Contract and probably about right halfway through.

851, Joel Helmes and hsvjones reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

IMO Moses is not worth $1.4m per year, nor is he good enough to be the highest paid player in the game. Signing him for this figure may cause angst with the playing group as others will also want to be paid ‘overs’.

As a side note, I would be happy to pay this kind of money for a true marquee like Munster.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

IMO Moses is not worth $1.4m per year, nor is he good enough to be the highest paid player in the game. Signing him for this figure may cause angst with the playing group as others will also want to be paid ‘overs’.

As a side note, I would be happy to pay this kind of money for a true marquee like Munster.

That also leads to an interesting point - if he doesn’t come, what are the implications on the existing players negotiating with the club?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

That also leads to an interesting point - if he doesn’t come, what are the implications on the existing players negotiating with the club?

Brooks may not like it, others probably not fussed.

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

@helmesy No doubt it will impact on our recruitment/retention and I share your concern.I believe we’re putting a lot of eggs in one basket and possibly paying up to 400-500k overs.For a supposed pathways outfit it seems a little counter productive to me.

I think it’s also easy to be seduced by the drama of the actual negotiation as to viewing it dispassionately and objectively.I know as a lesser entity in the NRL pecking order we’re always going to pay a little more,but I could never see a Craig Bellamy paying this sort of freight unless it was a Slater or Cam Smith.Absolutely tried and tested.I don’t see Moses in the same light and he comes with a little excess baggage.Ultimately one can ask the question,is this a big compromise or gamble with our cap?Or can we afford to gamble to this level?

You’ve made a good point but I differ in opinion to whether or not Bellamy would do the same. At Melbourne he wouldn’t but there is a chasm of difference between Melbourne Storm & Wests Tigers. If he was in the position of Benji Marshall would he be hoping the club does all they can to get a player he thinks believes will give him a good chance of success when he begins his coaching career? 

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)

Posted by: @russtutty63

@helmesy No doubt it will impact on our recruitment/retention and I share your concern.I believe we’re putting a lot of eggs in one basket and possibly paying up to 400-500k overs.For a supposed pathways outfit it seems a little counter productive to me.

I think it’s also easy to be seduced by the drama of the actual negotiation as to viewing it dispassionately and objectively.I know as a lesser entity in the NRL pecking order we’re always going to pay a little more,but I could never see a Craig Bellamy paying this sort of freight unless it was a Slater or Cam Smith.Absolutely tried and tested.I don’t see Moses in the same light and he comes with a little excess baggage.Ultimately one can ask the question,is this a big compromise or gamble with our cap?Or can we afford to gamble to this level?

You’ve made a good point but I differ in opinion to whether or not Bellamy would do the same. At Melbourne he wouldn’t but there is a chasm of difference between Melbourne Storm & Wests Tigers. If he was in the position of Benji Marshall would he be hoping the club does all they can to get a player he thinks believes will give him a good chance of success when he begins his coaching career? 

But, one thing that is different since Sheens arrived back is the ability to attract quality first grade players. So, with a hopefully much more competitive team, and the continued introduction of good youngsters into the side, are we really that much of a gamble?

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

851 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mercy-rule)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

But, one thing that is different since Sheens arrived back is the ability to attract quality first grade players. So, with a hopefully much more competitive team, and the continued introduction of good youngsters into the side, are we really that much of a gamble?

In reality, Sheens has signed Will Smith, Brandon Wakeham and John Bateman (who is yet to arrive). Quality, you say? I disagree.

And, yes, I think Sheens and Marshall make WT a big gamble for players and managers to consider. 

ReplyQuote
(@doug-heffernan)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

Posted by: @mercy-rule

In reality, Sheens has signed Will Smith, Brandon Wakeham and John Bateman (who is yet to arrive). Quality, you say? I disagree.

And, yes, I think Sheens and Marshall make WT a big gamble for players and managers to consider. 

And Klemmer.

• Please note guys, I changed my user name from Todd Packer to avoid any mix ups with the person using the same user name on other forum.

851 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
MOMO-AMP-MEDO
(@momo-amp-medo)
Junior Pathways

Missed a few API and Papi plus Klemmer Stains ….. all under Sheens/ Benji watch.

And if you want you argue that first two were signed by Madge you’d be wrong.

This post was modified 2 years ago by MOMO-AMP-MEDO

851, Russtutty63, Avo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @doug-heffernan

And Klemmer.

• Please note guys, I changed my user name from Todd Packer to avoid any mix ups with the person using the same user name on other forum.

Another quality name though.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

Well, it’s certainly a gamble in comparison to the Storm, Roosters etc. I don’t think anyone would be shocked if Wests Tigers finished closer to the spoon than Premiers this season. I hope we don’t but it wouldn’t shock me. We’ve still a lot to do before that is not the case.

ReplyQuote
(@jimmy)
Wests Tigers Supporter

I have finally signed up and joined, the other place is a cesspool atm. As for Moses, I believe he'd be a great addition to us even at the price tag. We lack a creator. I love brooks and doueihi but even wakeham looked more natural as a playmaker. We may not have got the result on the trial but it's obvious to see we will be much better this year, just may take a few games to gell.  

851, hsvjones, Russtutty63 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  

@jimmy welcome mate.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Jimmy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@jimmy welcome ro the forum, the Canberra game should tell us plenty if we get smashed by Canberra with all our first graders then we can duly be concerned for 2023

Tiger5150 and Jimmy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davey-farrell)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

on SEN this morning Brandies words were regarding Wakeham He is not a very good footballer, harsh but very fare!!!

851 and Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 472 / 1059
Share: