(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

@dirty-reds As long as it is not Aaron Woods lol

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

One thought is  Tyson Frizell I think he has a player option in 2023

We buy Klemmer 

Maybe Brooks then gets released for 2023 in a deal with Tyson Frizell to the Tigers 

10. Klemmer

9. Api

8. Stef 

11. Papali

12. Frizell

13 Joffa

7. Hastings 

6. Douhie 

ReplyQuote
Celtic_Tiger
(@celtic_tiger)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @tiger-symmetry
Posted by: @celtic_tiger
Posted by: @tiger5150
Posted by: @mike

I doubt you’ll get anyone better while Brooks is here. That’s the point.

IMO thats ridiculous. So you sack your best player in a position to attract someone better?

Best player, that’s a stretch. But even if he was, absolutely yes. After several years of failure something needs to change and it starts with Brooks. Just about the whole Rugby League community knows it.

Best player in a position. IMO best 6 in our club, IMO best kicking game, fastest running game, better (but substandard) passing game than AD.

With the greatest respect this is exactly the type of revisionism which we see annually regarding Brooks and is one of the principal reasons we are where we are at this point.

I return that respect to you CT and ask, which of our prospective 6's has a better all round kicking game? Which of the prospective 6's has the fastest running game and best defence?

Brooks has many shortcomings, he is not a great player and we have invested many years of faith into him without a payoff. Also , he remains our best option at 6 and top 2 at 7 which is telling of our club. Two things can be true at once.

Brooks long kicking game consists of ineffective midfield bombs or kicking out on the full and his short kicking game consists of hitting the first defender in the line almost every time to the point where it's absolutely infuriating to watch. Douehi at least offers a dangerous floating bomb which has yielded results occasionally. I would also argue that Jock Madden  has a better kicking game than Brooks.

I'm not sure what you mean by the fastest running game, do you mean he can run faster? If so yes Brooks can run faster but normally he runs really fast straight into a defender after stepping in on the inside. In terms of an actual effective running game Douehi is miles better and has actually won games for us off the back of his running game, i.e. Brisbane last year at Suncorp. 

As far as defence is concerned Brooks misses more tackles than anyone else in the halves. This is a simple fact regardless of anyone's perception. 

There is a strange phenomenon concerning Brooks where he seems to get better the longer he is out the team but the reality is he's a poor player and if we are serious about being successful we have to move on from him and stop pretending Brooks is something he is clearly not.  

No worries, I wouldnt argue strongly against anything you said. I didnt say that Luke Brooks was good, but I also notice you didnt answer these questions. Which prospective 6 (who is still at the club) has a better all round kicking game? Which prospective 6 is a better defender than Brooks?

He is not playing well, and is still our best option at 6. Thats kinda the whole point. Replace him with better and I'll pack his bags.

Sorry, I maybe should have been clearer.

AD has a better all round kicking game than Brooks as well as a far superior running game and is also statistically a better defender notwithstanding two horrendous displays towards the end of the year.

Celtic,I’ve resisted weighing in on the Brooks/Douehi issue and I’ll happily concede to you on Brooks’s inconsistent kicking game .I do think his confidence and temperament have taken a bit of a battering which has in turn affected his general decision making and that is definitely a negative for a top line 6 or 7.In terms of your implication that he’s a poor defender,I really think you’re stretching it there.He may have missed tackles as most smaller players do,but until the time he was injured he possessed the best overall tackling averages for halves in the NRL.I think a bit of context has to be applied here for objectivity’s sake.Maybe his time has elapsed at the WTs,time will tell,but Luke Brooks is still a courageous and technically proficient defender.

I wasn't implying that Brooks is a poor defender, the point was making was that AD has been criticized for his defence when he has missed less tackles than Brooks. 

For what it's worth I believe the perception of AD as a poor defender is heavily clouded by two very poor defensive efforts towards the end of the season which I believe were down to the lack of a proper pre season.

Prior to this I don't remember too many concerns about his defence.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

I doubt you’ll get anyone better while Brooks is here. That’s the point.

IMO thats ridiculous. So you sack your best player in a position to attract someone better?

Best player, that’s a stretch. But even if he was, absolutely yes. After several years of failure something needs to change and it starts with Brooks. Just about the whole Rugby League community knows it.

Best player in a position. IMO best 6 in our club, IMO best kicking game, fastest running game, better (but substandard) passing game than AD.

With the greatest respect this is exactly the type of revisionism which we see annually regarding Brooks and is one of the principal reasons we are where we are at this point.

I return that respect to you CT and ask, which of our prospective 6's has a better all round kicking game? Which of the prospective 6's has the fastest running game and best defence?

Brooks has many shortcomings, he is not a great player and we have invested many years of faith into him without a payoff. Also , he remains our best option at 6 and top 2 at 7 which is telling of our club. Two things can be true at once.

Brooks long kicking game consists of ineffective midfield bombs or kicking out on the full and his short kicking game consists of hitting the first defender in the line almost every time to the point where it's absolutely infuriating to watch. Douehi at least offers a dangerous floating bomb which has yielded results occasionally. I would also argue that Jock Madden  has a better kicking game than Brooks.

I'm not sure what you mean by the fastest running game, do you mean he can run faster? If so yes Brooks can run faster but normally he runs really fast straight into a defender after stepping in on the inside. In terms of an actual effective running game Douehi is miles better and has actually won games for us off the back of his running game, i.e. Brisbane last year at Suncorp. 

As far as defence is concerned Brooks misses more tackles than anyone else in the halves. This is a simple fact regardless of anyone's perception. 

There is a strange phenomenon concerning Brooks where he seems to get better the longer he is out the team but the reality is he's a poor player and if we are serious about being successful we have to move on from him and stop pretending Brooks is something he is clearly not.  

No worries, I wouldnt argue strongly against anything you said. I didnt say that Luke Brooks was good, but I also notice you didnt answer these questions. Which prospective 6 (who is still at the club) has a better all round kicking game? Which prospective 6 is a better defender than Brooks?

He is not playing well, and is still our best option at 6. Thats kinda the whole point. Replace him with better and I'll pack his bags.

Sorry, I maybe should have been clearer.

AD has a better all round kicking game than Brooks as well as a far superior running game and is also statistically a better defender notwithstanding two horrendous displays towards the end of the year.

Celtic,I’ve resisted weighing in on the Brooks/Douehi issue and I’ll happily concede to you on Brooks’s inconsistent kicking game .I do think his confidence and temperament have taken a bit of a battering which has in turn affected his general decision making and that is definitely a negative for a top line 6 or 7.In terms of your implication that he’s a poor defender,I really think you’re stretching it there.He may have missed tackles as most smaller players do,but until the time he was injured he possessed the best overall tackling averages for halves in the NRL.I think a bit of context has to be applied here for objectivity’s sake.Maybe his time has elapsed at the WTs,time will tell,but Luke Brooks is still a courageous and technically proficient defender.

I wasn't implying that Brooks is a poor defender, the point was making was that AD has been criticized for his defence when he has missed less tackles than Brooks. 

For what it's worth I believe the perception of AD as a poor defender is heavily clouded by two very poor defensive efforts towards the end of the season which I believe were down to the lack of a proper pre season.

Prior to this I don't remember too many concerns about his defence.

I have always had concerns about his defence, he has missed a lot on tackles in the front line over the years. Even when he was playing at fullback he was a target when we defended with him in the line on the try line.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
(@yanni)
Junior Pathways

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

We buy Klemmer 

Maybe Brooks then gets released for 2023 in a deal with Tyson Frizell to the Tigers 

10. Klemmer

9. Api

8. Stef 

11. Papali

12. Frizell

13 Joffa

7. Hastings 

6. Douhie 

Jedi can’t agree with the 6&7 those two together in the halves whould be way to slow. I don’t mind one or the other in there  just not together

Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @yanni

We buy Klemmer 

10. Klemmer

9. Api

8. Stef 

11. Papali

12. Frizell

13 Joffa

7. Hastings 

6. Douhie 

Jedi can’t agree with the 6&7 those two together in the halves whould be way to slow. I don’t mind one or the other in there  just not together

Agreed

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

10. klemmer
9. Api
8. Joffa
11. Papali
12. Bateman
13. Hastings
14. Talau
15. Twal
16. Stef
17. Blore
that pack is good enough

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@garry with that pack it may not matter we have good edge backrowers we can use

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@yanni if you use Brooks to get Frizell the  we don't have much choice but to use Hastings and douhie in the halves

Frullens reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

I'm worried about what Bateman we might end up with 

ReplyQuote
(@tigertownsfs)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

10. klemmer
9. Api
8. Joffa
11. Papali
12. Bateman
13. Hastings
14. Talau
15. Twal
16. Stef
17. Blore
that pack is good enough

I think you probably need a utility/back up hooker on the bench unless Hastings goes to hooker for a period

ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

We buy Klemmer 

10. Klemmer

9. Api

8. Stef 

11. Papali

12. Frizell

13 Joffa

7. Hastings 

6. Douhie 

I can see Frizell being the next man to join. I think he is more likely than Nathan Brown (Parra wanting new club to pay his full freight) or Leniu (still got a Penrith contract for 2023)

Frizell is very tight with Benji from Saints days. 

Klemmer would be announced the same day that Brooks departs

Guesswork on all fronts mind you!

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mickb

We buy Klemmer 

10. Klemmer

9. Api

8. Stef 

11. Papali

12. Frizell

13 Joffa

7. Hastings 

6. Douhie 

I can see Frizell being the next man to join. I think he is more likely than Nathan Brown (Parra wanting new club to pay his full freight) or Leniu (still got a Penrith contract for 2023)

Frizell is very tight with Benji from Saints days. 

Klemmer would be announced the same day that Brooks departs

Guesswork on all fronts mind you!

I think Klemmer will be announced in the coming days.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @garry

I think that is a sign we have Klemmer.

Hope so. We need an enforcer.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @tigertownsfs

10. klemmer
9. Api
8. Joffa
11. Papali
12. Bateman
13. Hastings
14. Talau
15. Twal
16. Stef
17. Blore
that pack is good enough

I think you probably need a utility/back up hooker on the bench unless Hastings goes to hooker for a period

Yes, I like the two hooker approach. Seems to be an effective way to manage such an intense and critical position. I would only be playing Api for 60 mins/game to start with. I think the amount of game time will reduce further during the seasons he is here. It is also a great way to bring through one of the junior players in that position.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 258 / 1067
Share: