Clear all

[Sticky] Wests Tigers Signings and Rumoured Signings

Lorenzo
(@lorenzo)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Posted by: @helmesy

-- attachment is not available --

They’ve got us right where they want us 🙁

I would play hard ball and not tip in more than $200k. I think Richo needs to get Benji and bateman in a room and get them to kiss and make up, surely the guy is not completely off the rails, he was the bloody captain of the team for goodness sake, a position Benji gave him. I have had many a verbal argument with various subordinates over the years, however I have never lost anyone to the point where I had to sack them. A good man manager should be able to get this sorted. Unless bateman wants to leave and if he does he will end up taking whatever is on offer.....call their bluff Richo!

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tiger5150

Posted by: @russtutty63

Posted by: @garry

The Veteran & Development player allowance might also help in this way for example. If you have a spot to fill but only $600,000 in cap & have not used the allowance elsewhere and a top class veteran is available but will cost around $800,000 you have a chance to get them. Other clubs might’ve used their allowance elsewhere & not have enough funds or perhaps the $800,000 is what u need to pay because it’s the greatest offer. 

That is just like any cap money you have remaining. All this allowance does is increase the cap of EVERY club by $300k.

There needs to be a better system that actually rewards clubs for developing players.

It would be awesome if there was a genuine benefit in the cap to having your own local juniors. Roosters would block it for sure 😂

I agree with you in that it gives u no advantages over other NRL clubs. Perhaps it might if your club is successful & stable thereby giving you a better chance of using it for a veteran. But in the recent u18s Union test between the Wallabies & NZ which the Wallabies won there were 3 or 4 kids in NRL systems who look highly promising league or union players. That allowance, if not used elsewhere in your cap could prove beneficial in terms of fighting off Union & retaining those kids at your club. As present the only veteran on our list for 2027 is Twal & who knows if he’ll still be here then, & we can’t be sure about our other development players so putting that money into a kid we want to make sure is here up until at least that time is not pointless imo. It makes sense to me. 

The thing is the allowance isnt used here, there, elsewhere or anywhere. Its just part of the one big pot. Its not used on "juniors". "Development" or "veteran" players, its not "used" on anyone or anything, it just makes the pot bigger.

The thing is does do, is you end up with a player like Noffa believing they should be entitled to some of the allowance.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

The Veteran & Development player allowance might also help in this way for example. If you have a spot to fill but only $600,000 in cap & have not used the allowance elsewhere and a top class veteran is available but will cost around $800,000 you have a chance to get them. Other clubs might’ve used their allowance elsewhere & not have enough funds or perhaps the $800,000 is what u need to pay because it’s the greatest offer. 

That is just like any cap money you have remaining. All this allowance does is increase the cap of EVERY club by $300k.

There needs to be a better system that actually rewards clubs for developing players.

It would be awesome if there was a genuine benefit in the cap to having your own local juniors. Roosters would block it for sure 😂

I agree with you in that it gives u no advantages over other NRL clubs. Perhaps it might if your club is successful & stable thereby giving you a better chance of using it for a veteran. But in the recent u18s Union test between the Wallabies & NZ which the Wallabies won there were 3 or 4 kids in NRL systems who look highly promising league or union players. That allowance, if not used elsewhere in your cap could prove beneficial in terms of fighting off Union & retaining those kids at your club. As present the only veteran on our list for 2027 is Twal & who knows if he’ll still be here then, & we can’t be sure about our other development players so putting that money into a kid we want to make sure is here up until at least that time is not pointless imo. It makes sense to me. 

The thing is the allowance isnt used here, there, elsewhere or anywhere. Its just part of the one big pot. Its not used on "juniors". "Development" or "veteran" players, its not "used" on anyone or anything, it just makes the pot bigger.

But surely you would have to register a contract of a veteran or development player who is entering NRL to show you’re eligible. I don’t know if you also must give their bank details for the money to be transferred but I’d think it’s a reasonable request. If it was used for Makasini in 2026 and/or 2027 I’d think that’s a fair assumption to make. 

This post was modified 2 hours ago by Russtutty63

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

I agree with Garry that the allowance doesn’t do what its original purpose was meant for. Perhaps it should be termed an NRL Loyalty Allowance & used for veterans & in special cases such as Makasini’s. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

But surely you would have to register a contract of a veteran or development player who is entering NRL to show you’re eligible. I don’t know if you also must give their bank details for the money to be transferred but I’d think it’s a reasonable request. If it was used for Makasini in 2026 and/or 2027 I’d think that’s a fair assumption to make. 

It is just $300k added to our cap, makasini does not qualify for the allowance.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Page 1093 / 1093
Share: