Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Live Game Thread V Roosters (trial 2022)

Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

Posted by: @garry
Posted by: @geo-2

Big difference coming on for 20 mins in a trial against similar opposition than Starting NRL hooker week in week out..

Having sais that there is a lot to like about Ngatikaura..

I'm happy to give him most of this season playing against men before we look at him for a regular NRL position.

Does anyone know how old Rua is?

Judging from his junior grades,  looks as though he was born 2000 which likely makes him 21?

I'd we are going to compare him to Brandon Smith, he debuted in NRL at 21

https://18thman.com/players/rua-ngatikaura/

This post was modified 2 years ago by Frullens

Top 8 2023

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Magpies NSW Cup Moderator

Posted by: @frullens

Big difference coming on for 20 mins in a trial against similar opposition than Starting NRL hooker week in week out..

I'm happy to give him most of this season playing against men before we look at him for a regular NRL position.

Judging from his junior grades,  looks as though he was born 2000 which likely makes him 21?

Farah was 21 too. 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Played Flegg last year so 21 or 22, but all the juniors have missed a lot of football in the last 2 years.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Robbie was 21 in 2005 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

Played Flegg last year so 21 or 22, but all the juniors have missed a lot of football in the last 2 years.

Joining top 30 would fastback his development.

He'd still be playing most of the season in reserves, but means he can step up into first grade when needed. 

Also would help lock him in long term.

If we get an injury in hookers (I.e Liddle game 1) he can join bench to help simpkin.

Likewise, if we get an injury in centres, he can move to 13 and put peachy into centres.

Just think we need to find that bolter that comes and changes the dynamic of the team - and think Rua could be it

Top 8 2023

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Topic starter  

It's a great honour for any young sportsperson to represent their state. Rua Ngatikaura has surpassed expectations and become a dual NSW representative.

The John Warby Public School pupil will represent NSW in both rugby league and rugby union in the under-12 age group.

Captain of the school's rugby league team, Rua's love of both codes keeps him busy at club level each weekend.

The 12-year-old plays rugby league with Campbelltown City Kangaroos as a lock forward.

He plays rugby union with Campbelltown Harlequins in various positions including lock, flanker, second-rower and hooker.

If Rua continues such impressive form he could face a dilemma — but a good one.

Because of his father Rua's New Zealand background, young Rua could face the prospect of having to choose to play for the All Blacks or the Wallabies.

"He was born in Australia and he's done all the hard work here," Mr Ngatikaura said.

"His dream is to one day in the near future play for Australia and I couldn't be more proud of him.

"He likes union better, but at the same time he loves league too.

"He wants to one day play for his favourite team, the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs."

Rua was part of the NSW under-12 rugby league team that recently played in the School Sport Australia Championship at Mackay against Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Victoria, ACT and the Northern Territory.

He will compete with his union team from September 21 in Melbourne against South Australia, ACT and Victoria and then return to Campbelltown to play New Zealand.

Mr Ngatikaura said his son deserved his accolades.

"He is a really good boy and has trained hard to get where he is today," he said.

"I think it is a great honour for him to be able to represent his state in dual codes.

https://www.macarthuradvertiser.com.au/story/301412/rua-ngatikaura-cracks-two-codes-of-rugby-football/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)

From Declan's column 8 months ago:

While Tigers fans want to go after Brandon Smith, the Jersey Flegg Captain Rua Ngatikaura reminds me of the Cheese in terms of his build and how he plays the game 100 miles per hour. 

https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/whats-next-for-the-wests-tigers/?amp=1

Top 8 2023

Mike and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@abc123)
Wests Tigers Supporter

Posted by: @jedi-tiger

@garry true, but Robbie handled it ok at 19 I know simpkin is no Robbie but we need to risk it 

Or you look at Harry Grant who spent a heap of time in the QLD Cup learning his trade and is a better player for it. Some guys are ready at 19, some benefit greatly from learning to play against men in a lower pressure environment, I believe that 12 months in reserves would do wonders for Simpkin.

Makes no sense for him too play cup , he only has this year too fight for a spot next year , I have watched Harry Grant come through from a young age and believe he was held back way too long .

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Joining top 30 would fastback his development.

He'd still be playing most of the season in reserves, but means he can step up into first grade when needed. 

Also would help lock him in long term.

If we get an injury in hookers (I.e Liddle game 1) he can join bench to help simpkin.

Likewise, if we get an injury in centres, he can move to 13 and put peachy into centres.

Just think we need to find that bolter that comes and changes the dynamic of the team - and think Rua could be it

He can play NRL after rd 10 anyway.

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

From Declan's column 8 months ago:

While Tigers fans want to go after Brandon Smith, the Jersey Flegg Captain Rua Ngatikaura reminds me of the Cheese in terms of his build and how he plays the game 100 miles per hour. 

https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/whats-next-for-the-wests-tigers/?amp=1

Great tip from declan there.

Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 11
Share: