Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0356

(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @lestronge

@tiger5150 I agree . With luai and an offseason of Sam Fainu in the gym , the left edge should be really dynamic and scary especially on sweeping block plays . 
As for the other edge , I mean , if seyfarth continues to do a job and remains with this dynamism , that no one thought he had , he could claim that other edge . It sure would fix a lot of issues . Even simply with squad allocation and balance .

your point Lestronge reminds me of another point raised in the pod. I have been very vocal about my concerns regarding benji's coaching but i have to agree with the guys point on the pod in that our attack has clearly improved in the second half of the season, but it is to me the method of the improvement that makes me confident.

When the first signs of the improved attack were there, it was ALWAYS that sweep play to the left involving Galvin and Bula with the alternate being a Fainu short ball, and whilst I recognised it was an improvement, I was equally as concerned that it was obvious, telegraphed and therefore easy for opposition coaches to counteract. In recent weeks though we have scored trys on the right side using a similar sweep play and obviously the Seyfarth try on Thursday was the next evolution of that same play.....and so there is a clear development and evolution to our attack and that fills me with hope.

Credit where credit is due and I think Luai will supercharge this evolution.

lestronge, Tiger Symmetry, Joel Helmes and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Re Mason, the point I was making was that at this stage we can't afford to have one of our better players in reggies. Our best 17 need to be in firsts. If (and it's still a big if) Mason develops into one of our better players he would need to play fullback imo with Bula moving to centre where I think he'd be good actually.

100% agree with the post about Bula's defence at the back. It's very good. But there are other areas he needs to work on - positional play, bringing ball back being two

Skippa13 and Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @tigersteve

Re Mason, the point I was making was that at this stage we can't afford to have one of our better players in reggies. Our best 17 need to be in firsts. If (and it's still a big if) Mason develops into one of our better players he would need to play fullback imo with Bula moving to centre where I think he'd be good actually.

100% agree with the post about Bula's defence at the back. It's very good. But there are other areas he needs to work on - positional play, bringing ball back being two

I remember the first few games I saw Dylan Edwards played - I thought, what’s all the fuss about him?

Look how he has progressed over 50-100 games. Mason could be a guy that just keeps getting better as he gets more experience. 

Bula has strong fullback attributes but I don’t think he’s completely made the position his own.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by Joel Helmes

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

TigerSteve and Anonymous reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

I believe for the most part Bula’s positional play has been pretty decent.Sure he’s up in the line quite often and if a play breaks down suddenly we’re behind the 8 ball,but generally we’re chasing the scoreboard.Initially he was criticised for not sniffing around the middle enough.Let’s not forget that he’s rather new to the discipline of NRL fullback himself.As a custodian and under the high ball he’s pretty damned good.I wouldn’t be switching him in a hurry,even though his kick returns aren’t that robust.I think into the future he’ll get more support in that facet.The real downside for Jahream is that his off-season and the chance to build up his body have been compromised. I really wish him a speedy rehab.That being said it’s such a positive for our team to finally possess positional options and Heath Mason is certainly making a fist of it.He and Bula are polar opposites but having this quality can only enrich the team,but for now in my view Bula is our rightful no1.

Joel Helmes, Mercy Rule, Garry and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

Posted by: @tiger5150

Great pod guys, a post victory pod is so much better.

However, tackling the big issues........

I cant beleive the two school teachers didnt pick Joel up on repeatedly saying potentiality. Potential is the word you are reaching for.

I heard it too and thought ‘that’s not a word’ but then knew there were teachers on the pod. So it’s not then 

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

Posted by: @Anonymous

I cant beleive the two school teachers didnt pick Joel up on repeatedly saying potentiality. Potential is the word you are reaching for.

I heard it too and thought ‘that’s not a word’ but then knew there were teachers on the pod. So it’s not then 

I did leave school at 15 and I was barely there before that so there might be some mispronunciation 😂 potentiality is a perfectly cromulent word.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Mike, Skippa13 and Anonymous reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @helmesy

Posted by: @Anonymous

I did leave school at 15 and I was barely there before that so there might be some mispronunciation 😂 potentiality is a perfectly cromulent word.

Potentially, but potential is a more compendious word, dare I say it, concise.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tigersteve I disagree completely . His work rate is second to none , has stopped more tries in a year and a half than many fullbacks thier entire career . 
has a great leap , and averages near on 200m most games . 
the reason his carry return is so poor , is a lot to do with the lack of control in the ruck and allowing teams to not just march down field , but get kicks away with no pressure . 
on Thursday I felt like the ruck was controlled well , the ref had a lot to do with as well ( some might say too little too late in regards to lopsided ruck speed) , and as such Mason was allowed to return the ball with cheap metres , and gain could speed to split defenders. .

i think Bula defers to his wingers a lot more to conserve energy , because to be honest with our horrible defence it’s better served elsewhere . 

He’s not very good at tripping numbers though finding the correct pass on 4v3s, 3v2s etc , but I felt like he was getting better with that as the seasons progressed . 
Mason is a weapon for sure . But he’s not in our top 17 next year . And that’s awesome because for the first time in a long time we may have 20-23 players that can and probably should be playing week in week out . 
Thats literally how the top teams roll . 
we need to get wins though and quick to justify this depth . Otherwise they’ll all bail for an opportunity rather than wait thier time . 

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @lestronge

And that’s awesome because for the first time in a long time we may have 20-23 players that can and probably should be playing week in week out . 
Thats literally how the top teams roll . 
we need to get wins though and quick to justify this depth . Otherwise they’ll all bail for an opportunity rather than wait thier time . 

Brilliant point

ReplyQuote
(@tgrzmn)
Wests Magpies Harold Matts

What a dilemma we are facing. Trying to fit all our emerging talent into our top 17 each week. Most of these young kids are running around in FG because they are at WT ... some may say more than because they are FGers. If we buy some more experienced players and our injured ones return to match fitness, the kids will have to settle for Cup spots and bide their time there until needed. 

Has our need to accelerate the youth into FG this year caused them to be impatient and will being forced to wait for opportunities in 25 cause them to be unsettled and try their luck elsewhere?

It's a balancing act for those in charge for sure.

ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

A big issue in all this is most young players won't bide their time, or at least their managers won't. Unless they are progressing and playing where they want, they will agitate for a release and go elsewhere. We need to determine the best of our young talent, and then keep them by showing them WT is the best place for them

Mercy Rule reacted
ReplyQuote
(@lestronge)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tigersteve yea maybe . They will at Penrith . They will at the storm . They will at the roosters . 
The reason is there’s a symbiotic relationship between the club and its players that everyone’s best interest will be looked after . 
we need to create a platform of wins and success to allow patience within the playing group . 
I think with the development of the cubs programs , and Successful junior rep teams where players are progressing together , that should help with the playing group themselves creating a culture of patience, work ethic and trust . 
but like I said the wins need to be at the top , and we also need to leverage those wins inevitably into individual success ie. origin , dally m etc. 

All KPIs and bonuses built into many players contracts . 

Otherwise you’re right , even if they do have loyalty , if you know just being average in a roosters team will probably get you in the shop window of origin , tests etc , that’s a far better financial outcome for yourself and your family . 

Skippa13 and TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: