Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0257

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  

The latest edition of the Wests Tigers Podcast has just dropped. We take a look back at the Bunnies game - what was to like and what still needs addressing? Shaun Johnson discussion and a look at private ownership of the Tigers. Enjoy! https://weststigerspodcast.com.au/wests-tigers-podcast-0257/

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

MickeyB reacted
(@tiger-symmetry)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Enjoyed the Podcast boys and varying opinions on our attack or lack thereof.I can’t recall who made the point but there were a couple of times Tommy Talau failed to supply Junior Tupou with genuine scoring opportunities.In such a tight game that was dumbfounding.I can’t understand why we’re generally underutilising his talent.He simply isn’t getting enough ball and we’ve seen how deceptive and damaging he can be.I know lack of Naden hasn’t helped but it would be good this weekend to see us play to an attacking strength and J.T get plenty of pill.Things happen when he has ball in hand.

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @tiger-symmetry

Enjoyed the Podcast boys and varying opinions on our attack or lack thereof.I can’t recall who made the point but there were a couple of times Tommy Talau failed to supply Junior Tupou with genuine scoring opportunities.In such a tight game that was dumbfounding.I can’t understand why we’re generally underutilising his talent.He simply isn’t getting enough ball and we’ve seen how deceptive and damaging he can be.I know lack of Naden hasn’t helped but it would be good this weekend to see us play to an attacking strength and J.T get plenty of pill.Things happen when he has ball in hand.

I agree with this and IMO Tupou was forming a good partnership with Kepaoa. I would much prefer to see Kepaoa and Tupou on the left

MickeyB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mickb)
Balmain Tigers SG Ball

Enjoyed the podcast guys. I hope the coaching staff and the club admins are listening to your assessment because its generally very well thought out.

I was interested to hear the comment about 'the club having to support Luke Brooks because they know there is nobody else to pick from.' I really hope this is the case. I genuinely hope that the club is looking past Brooks for 2024.

Garry - it was interesting that Matamua only made 3 passes in reserve grade. That would not be enough to warrant slotting him into the 13 at NRL level. On the flip side I think back to Matamua and Bula combining in the first trial this year vs NZ. We're crying out for that type of ball playing.

I also noted the support for Twal. Credit where its due. He has really improved this year. I'd say his average metres gained has increased and he's also cut out part of his game where he'd often over run the dummy half. I hope he gets a new contract.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

I think what Eddie has said about Bateman is true. I feel as though with ball in hand he for the most part looks dangerous. I think he should play 13 and somewhat play in the mould of what Hastings was doing last season at lock. This could open up a position for Matamua to play on an edge perhaps or try Kapoa again. 

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

@tiger5150 I’m not convinced with AJ at centre to be honest.

Joel Helmes reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @Anonymous

@tiger5150 I’m not convinced with AJ at centre to be honest.

But you are convinced about Talau at centre?

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous 79)

@tiger5150 not really fussed with Tommy after his display with Jacko. Adding to that, he’s off too manly. Personally I would have went with the rugby guy. I think AJ is best used in short stints from the bench.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @Anonymous

@tiger5150 not really fussed with Tommy after his display with Jacko. Adding to that, he’s off too manly. Personally I would have went with the rugby guy. I think AJ is best used in short stints from the bench.

Fair enough. IMO AJ is the second best centre in the club and you go with him. I think he has a good combination with Tupou.

ReplyQuote
nztigerinoz
(@nztiger)
Junior Pathways

Well said on the merger discussion Garry! With you 💯 

I too am an old Balmain fan since late 80s and like you suffered through the 90s.

I hated this story that came out regarding Anthony. It was nothing but a pipe dream if he won lotto and somehow it gathered oxygen and discussion.

no looking back. It’s a dream to see a very successful Balmain Tigers with a top notch leagues club back in the NRL, but it will never ever happen.

I would in fact like to see the Balmain side of the merger re-ignited with Balmain getting themselves a Leagues Club and making $$ again & contribute once again to the Wests Tigers but even that is a pipe dream now …. and it would probably only cause more issues in the merger too.

Like you Garry, I just want to see our Wests Tigers feared on the field and make the 8 consistently … surely that’s not too much to ask! 😫

co-Founder of Extreme Tipping
Only $25aud season entry!
​extremetipping.com.au
Join Code is: extreme2024 (Case sensitive!)

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

Agree Garry well said on the merger stuff as an old balmain fan battling through the trauma of 89 and terrible 90's wests tigers is the team now.

Minor points to the club  would like to see wests tigers Reserve Grade side not magpies if we are looking at a United club. As depressing as it can be supporting this club I could never support another club

Joel Helmes and Garry reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Posted by: @nztiger

Well said on the merger discussion Garry! With you 💯 

I too am an old Balmain fan since late 80s and like you suffered through the 90s.

I hated this story that came out regarding Anthony. It was nothing but a pipe dream if he won lotto and somehow it gathered oxygen and discussion.

no looking back. It’s a dream to see a very successful Balmain Tigers with a top notch leagues club back in the NRL, but it will never ever happen.

I would in fact like to see the Balmain side of the merger re-ignited with Balmain getting themselves a Leagues Club and making $$ again & contribute once again to the Wests Tigers but even that is a pipe dream now …. and it would probably only cause more issues in the merger too.

Like you Garry, I just want to see our Wests Tigers feared on the field and make the 8 consistently … surely that’s not too much to ask! 😫

Poor Eddie kept trying to get a different response from me but it just wasn't going to happen lol

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

@garry well said regarding demerger talk

I thought we had moved well and truly beyond that 

The best and only way the club can get rid of demerger talk or stories about having no identity - is for the club admin to get 1000% better and make this club the giant sydney club it should be.

It there for them to take, but it's going to mean they have to make some bold and difficult decisions.

Top 8 2023

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: