Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0218

(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @tiger5150
Posted by: @mercy-rule

@avocadoontoast Ohhh. you're on here?? I wondered where you went to from the other forum. I notice your pro-Sheens/anti-Maguire fantasy is still alive and kicking though. Good on you.

Some would call it an opinion and they are welcome. Lets not bring that stuff over.

Just an FYI to all that it won’t be tolerated anyway.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Frullens
(@frullens)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg Moderator

@mercy-rule this place is special because we are civil and have respectful discussion.

Please let us keep it that way.

Top 8 2023

CanberraTiger, Russtutty63, Jedi Tiger and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

@avocadoontoast Ohhh. you're on here?? I wondered where you went to from the other forum. I notice your pro-Sheens/anti-Maguire fantasy is still alive and kicking though. Good on you.

I agree with avo, I think the change in coaching has been a positive so far. Why would you have like to see Madge stay?

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

ReplyQuote
Avo
 Avo
(@avocadoontoast)
Wests Tigers Development Player Moderator

Yep I’m fortunate to have been here since the beginning. Welcome to the forum!

Jedi Tiger, Frullens, Tiger5150 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Listening to the pod now. Love the new intro, particular the Brooks highlight 😉

ReplyQuote
(@jedi-tiger)

@tiger5150 I did have a chuckle at that nice touch lol

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

@tigersteve I think they can push for the finals but who knows for sure. If things fall into place, and quite a few things would have to fall into place, they could surprise plenty of people. I’m all in for a bloody nice surprise.

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

@tigersteve I love your passion & determination Steve. I particularly love what you’ve done to help build a community for supporters through the Ambush & forum here. And, what’s more, I agree wholeheartedly with all your thoughts in Brooksy, yes we’re the minority. But in terms of making finals next year I think determination (and I’m sure they’ll be 100% determined to succeed) can only carry you so far. They will still need an element of good fortune with a few other things. But perhaps their starting point is not as bad as we believe it to be given they basically tanked the 2nd half of the season. They might still have finished last, they might not have but they surely would’ve performed slightly better if some of players didn’t feel let down to some degree by the decisions made during that time. I can’t blame them for that. And already some have forgone World Cup selection to begin preparing for next year so that’s a positive too.

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
TigerSteve
(@tigersteve)
2023 Tipping Comp Winner Moderator

Posted by: @russtutty63

@tigersteve I love your passion & determination Steve. I particularly love what you’ve done to help build a community for supporters through the Ambush & forum here. And, what’s more, I agree wholeheartedly with all your thoughts in Brooksy, yes we’re the minority. But in terms of making finals next year I think determination (and I’m sure they’ll be 100% determined to succeed) can only carry you so far. They will still need an element of good fortune with a few other things. But perhaps their starting point is not as bad as we believe it to be given they basically tanked the 2nd half of the season. They might still have finished last, they might not have but they surely would’ve performed slightly better if some of players didn’t feel let down to some degree by the decisions made during that time. I can’t blame them for that. And already some have forgone World Cup selection to begin preparing for next year so that’s a positive too.

Thanks mate. I love being involved and I’m really proud of what we are achieving with Ambush. Can’t take any credit for this forum though - all Joel and Garry really.

I agree with your points but I still cannot accept ‘building’ as an excuse any more. I want to see results mate - like we all do!!

ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)

@tigersteve My apologies to Garry & Joel (are you a member yet Joel? Elite? Platinum Plus surely?). By the way, in regards to the incense have you gone a little Marlon Brando? “I love the smell of sandalwood in the morning”.

TigerSteve reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dirty-reds)

Posted by: @mickb
Posted by: @dirty-reds

- I believe that Sheens and Marshall will be able to recruit better players than Madge ever could.

You may be right, but there just aren't the players available for 2023 that will make a difference. Plus we only have 2 spots left on the roster.

I agree with you on that front. There's no future 200 gamers sitting around for us to snap up. To fill the rumoured Brooks departure we'd have to pick someone out of reserve grade. At that level there's Blake Taffe & Dean Hawkins from the rabbits who are not getting a run. Taffe played a GF 12 months ago

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/10/24/nsw-cup-2022-season-review--south-sydney-rabbitohs

Jayden Sullivan might be an option although he just withdrew his request for a release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbSITZYRA6c

From the QRL, there are big wraps on Jonah Pezet whose path is blocked at the Storm.

A left field nomination is Tristan Sailor. Comes with a bit of baggage of course but was cleared ultimately. I have seen him play reggies a few times. He's far too good for that level. Covers 1,6,7 and plays a similar style to Daine Laurie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yrRC4_CUA

The podcasters made a point about not letting Brooks go without cover which is valid. I accept it is a huge risk. But after 10 years of watching Brooks I would be more hopeful of a turn around if we take a chance on a rookie. It's time for a change.

I generally agree with where you're coming from tbh. It's time to move on from Brooks, and if we had the opportunity to get a proper replacement in for 23 then he'd be out the door yesterday. 

It's just that none of these guys stand out (or wouldn't come in the case of Pezet), so I'd stick with the status quo for 23 and go all out for 24.

I'd rather get the right guy a year later, rather than signing the wrong guy for multiple years, just because we were in a bind. 

Tiger5150 reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

- I believe that Sheens and Marshall will be able to recruit better players than Madge ever could.

You may be right, but there just aren't the players available for 2023 that will make a difference. Plus we only have 2 spots left on the roster.

I agree with you on that front. There's no future 200 gamers sitting around for us to snap up. To fill the rumoured Brooks departure we'd have to pick someone out of reserve grade. At that level there's Blake Taffe & Dean Hawkins from the rabbits who are not getting a run. Taffe played a GF 12 months ago

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/10/24/nsw-cup-2022-season-review--south-sydney-rabbitohs

Jayden Sullivan might be an option although he just withdrew his request for a release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbSITZYRA6c

From the QRL, there are big wraps on Jonah Pezet whose path is blocked at the Storm.

A left field nomination is Tristan Sailor. Comes with a bit of baggage of course but was cleared ultimately. I have seen him play reggies a few times. He's far too good for that level. Covers 1,6,7 and plays a similar style to Daine Laurie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6yrRC4_CUA

The podcasters made a point about not letting Brooks go without cover which is valid. I accept it is a huge risk. But after 10 years of watching Brooks I would be more hopeful of a turn around if we take a chance on a rookie. It's time for a change.

I generally agree with where you're coming from tbh. It's time to move on from Brooks, and if we had the opportunity to get a proper replacement in for 23 then he'd be out the door yesterday. 

It's just that none of these guys stand out (or wouldn't come in the case of Pezet), so I'd stick with the status quo for 23 and go all out for 24.

I'd rather get the right guy a year later, rather than signing the wrong guy for multiple years, just because we were in a bind. 

Good post mate.

ReplyQuote
AnyGivenSunday
(@anygivensunday)
Junior Pathways

@garry

Totally agree with your pod comments about NRL signing system. 

This being able to sign for the season after next from Nov 1 is a total farce.

The sooner they get to a proper free agency period like NFL, MLB the better.  

The only in Contract negotiations players can do is an extension with the current club they are playing for.

If they want financial security then seek a contract extension,

If they want to enter the open market for extra $$$ then back themselves to enter free agency.

Have a trade period between clubs before a deadline each year say end of July.

Players contracts who are expiring become free agents day after grand final and can negotiate with anyone.

A true free agency period that will be a huge frenzy of rumour and intrigue.

Lots of hype and drama to keep the game in the media all summer long.

How is a solution so readily available and successfully working not able able to be implemented in NRL?

As a WT fan anything that fixes the Fox Sports Papali'i contract reneg beat up we all suffered this year can't come quick enough. 

ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)

Posted by: @anygivensunday

@garry

The only in Contract negotiations players can do is an extension with the current club they are playing for.

If they want to enter the open market for extra $$$ then back themselves to enter free agency.

Players contracts who are expiring become free agents day after grand final and can negotiate with anyone.

How is a solution so readily available and successfully working not able able to be implemented in NRL?

As a WT fan anything that fixes the Fox Sports Papali'i contract reneg beat up we all suffered this year can't come quick enough. 

Agree 100% mate, if we had announced the signings of Paps and Api in the last week it would feel like we are building, instead it feels like we are going backwards.

ReplyQuote
(@tiger5150)

Posted by: @anygivensunday

@garry

Players Association.

NRL should wrap it up in the next EBA

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: