Wests Tigers Podcas...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Wests Tigers Podcast episode 0216

(@tiger5150)
Wests Tigers Development Player

Posted by: @mike

Question for @Garry, or anyone else who has an opinion. We have been trying the bottom-up approach to changing the culture of the Wests Tigers for more than 10 years with abject failure. Why will this time, with the new player signings, be any different?

Im worried this is overly optimistic but in 2003 our culture was at a very low point, post Terry Lamb, post Hoppa, Craig Field etc. In our last game of 2002 we had John Wilson at 6, Cory Pearson starting prop, Troy Wozniak at lock. Possibly even lower point than now. Definitely no equivalent of Api, Papali'i etc.

Tim Sheen took that crap team, cleaned them out, brought on good kids and we know the results. Even if we didnt win in 2005 I think we would all agree that there was a different/better(?) culture from 2004 to 2011. At least it was attractive attacking footy and we were competitive.

TLDR.....same guy driving the culture change, with better existing/experienced players than last time. The question marks are on the kids coming through, i dont see the same quality on the horizon although players like Stef, Pole are still kids.

Joel Helmes and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
Garry
(@garry)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin

Question for @Garry, or anyone else who has an opinion. We have been trying the bottom-up approach to changing the culture of the Wests Tigers for more than 10 years with abject failure. Why will this time, with the new player signings, be any different?

We are recording a pod tonight and I think we will try and make this a topic to discuss.

In memory of Geoff Chisholm (1965-2022)

Tiger5150 and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@russtutty63)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

1. @mike I’ve no idea if results will change Mike but in terms of what kind of football they want to play & what kind of club (development club) they want to be I don’t think there’s been this sort of change in the short history of the joint venture. Seems now that there is a genuine direction they all want to work towards and I haven’t seen that before. Whatever happens over the next few years it will be interesting to watch. 

Joel Helmes and Mike reacted
ReplyQuote
(@eastiemagpie)
Wests Tigers Jersey Flegg

In my experience, culture change only occurs when there is significant change in management. The new leader is the one that drives the change and the rest of the management team supports and communicates the change ie everyone needs to be on the same page. From a football perspective, a change in coach can be sufficient but only with the full support of CEO, the board, etc.  When Madge came in I thought he was going to change our easy going culture but I don’t think he had full support and subsequently became irrelevant.  I haven’t been impressed with Sheens’ first year but to his credit he has made some changes which may just work.

ReplyQuote
(@helmesy)
Wests Tigers Development Player Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @eastiemagpie

In my experience, culture change only occurs when there is significant change in management. The new leader is the one that drives the change and the rest of the management team supports and communicates the change ie everyone needs to be on the same page. From a football perspective, a change in coach can be sufficient but only with the full support of CEO, the board, etc.  When Madge came in I thought he was going to change our easy going culture but I don’t think he had full support and subsequently became irrelevant.  I haven’t been impressed with Sheens’ first year but to his credit he has made some changes which may just work.

I guess you could say once again that Sheens is using the Jack Gibson strategy - first year assess, second year make changes, third year start seeing results.

Wests Tigers Podcast - Talking everything Wests Tigers!

Russtutty63 reacted
ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

@helmesy Gee I hope. Not confident but can always hope it works… again.

ReplyQuote
Mike
 Mike
(@mike)

Posted by: @eastiemagpie

Yeah that’s my experience as well. It only works when management buys in. A more top-down approach. But hey, I guess we can hope. Results are what is needed and very soon. Not happy to wait 5 years.

Eastiemagpie reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: